Gun Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of any ammo in the above designated with a .230 gr bullet. It seems all the .45 ACP +P that I find around here is 165gr, 185gr, or 200gr. I really prefer the heavier round to the lighter ones in my EDC 1911. I've been carrying 165gr. +P Corbon Pow'r Balls in my Eclipse and 230gr standard pressure BJHPs in my TRP.

·
Fanatical Feline
5,279 Posts
Those 230 GR Hornady is what I carry.. Damn they pack a punch.

What kinda FPS you do get out of those?

·
Gunatics Trusted Vendor brokenarrowtactical.com
1,809 Posts
fatcat said:
Those 230 GR Hornady is what I carry.. Damn they pack a punch.

What kinda FPS you do get out of those?

Chrono results for the Federal 230 gr HST+Ps from:

5" Les Baer TR - 964 FPS

4.6" Bar-Sto barreled GLock 21SF - 951 FPS.

·
1,809 Posts
mwink822 said:
Is Federal HST the same as Federal LE Tactical Bonded?

From our tests with gelatin and actual human torsos, the Federal 230gr HST+Ps did not fragment.

The Tactical bonded does not expand like the hsts.

·
2,829 Posts
BrokenArrow said:
From our tests with gelatin and actual human torsos, the Federal 230gr HST+Ps did not fragment.
That's very similar to my experience in 9mm. HST fired into wet phone books does not fragment at all. It expands almost exactly like Gold Dots. The similarity is uncanny! Only difference is there's no dot.

Contrast this to the classic style Federal JHP, which does tend to shed its jacket. I still have a bunch of 115 gr +P+ around though, 'cause it gets up to speed nicely even in short barrels. Snappiest factory 9mm load around, that's for sure!

·
1,809 Posts
mattxander12 said:
I'm confused about what's better, a bullet that keeps its weight in tact, or one that fragments

Be it that the bullet fragments or holds / expanded mushroom shape...the main criteria in handgun ballistics is SHOT PLACEMENT.

I have seen in actual autopsys that some bullets (especially high velocity medium bore.. ie - .357 Magnum with 12 gr JHPs , 115 - 124 gr 9MM +P+ and light weight 135 - 155 gr. full power .40 cal) do fragment and tend to make separate wound tracks.

On the other hand, the newer ammunition (Gold Dots, Ranger SXT, Federal HSTs) expand and hold their shape, thus crushing more tissue as it goes through real/living tissue.

The handgun just buys one more time to get to something bigger and more powerful (rifle/shotgun).

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It looks like the website listed for ammunition only has the Federal Tactical JHP and no HST. Looks Like I may have to go with the Hornady 230 +P JHP.

·
1,809 Posts
Damn, They had some several days ago. I guess with everyone panick buying, their stock pile of HSTs dried up.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just picked up a box of the Hornady TAP 230gr +P that I'm going to try out at the range before investing in case quantities of the stuff. After all, what good is it for me to have a thousand rounds of defensive ammo that none of my guns will digest. I'm pretty sure my TRP will do fine with this ammo since I've perviously used Hornady JHPs in standard pressure 200gr, but my Kimbers did not do so well with that ammo. The only JHP I've found to really feed reliably in them is the Federal Hydra-shok 230gr standard pressure and the 230gr Golden Saber, again standard pressure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts