BOB/SHTF Bag Supplies List
Close

This is a discussion on BOB/SHTF Bag Supplies List within the Tactical Gear forums, part of the Gun Forums category; i have left this task FAR too long, and i need to assemble bags for my self, my mother, and possibly my sister. i was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Nose Nuggets's Avatar

i have left this task FAR too long, and i need to assemble bags for my self, my mother, and possibly my sister. i was wondering if anyone has a go-to resource when they are trying to think of all the little bits they need for emergency packs. i think my plan is to get this all in a couple S.O.Tech bug out bags. so far i just have basics off the top of my head, full wool clothing, rain gear, multi tool, fire stuff, flashlight, batteries, water purifier, bottle of water, first aid, energy bars, meds, P cord. what am i missing?

Depends what your definition is. Mine is to get 60 miles to my folks home on foot, at which point I can resupply, regroup, and then act from there. You got everything covered for that scenario as traveling light makes such a trip feasible for me, who doesn't train for a 60 mile trek ever. The only things I have added on top of what you mentioned is My AR broken down to an upper/lower (it's my go-to rifle, and to hell if I'm leaving that behind at the apt for whoever to take) and of course my personal defense pistol, which is on me anyways. Sleeping gear can take a hike, if SHTF I doubt I'd stop for sleep until I reached the folks. Have an extra pair of socks. I also have a camp stool and a 6 inch fixed blade. I don't have a purifier, just some chlorine tablets, just seems more convenient to me. Other than that I don't see a purpose for extra for my idea of what would be necessary. Again, my definition is to get home. Some people, especially on the survival forum of ARforums think that you need a pack to walk across the country on foot, and live off the land the whole way which I think is ridiculous. Going light is key. At 195 lbs, I feel I could carry 20-30 lbs comfortably that distance. YMMV

the BOB is a fine balance of essentials vs weight. because they are general purpose im not too worried about weapons systems off the bat. i might tailor mine to hold my AR, but the rifle at my moms is staying in the safe. it will have pistol mags, though.

water purification tabs would be a much better weight conscious choice over a purifier, change made.

fixed blade is a must, and im a moron for leaving it out, change made.

thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

The rifle thing was more speaking towards my specific setup. My folks don't have any rifles period, just a 12 gauge. If you were thinking in specific of running the S.O.Tech BOB extended version, AR would seamlessly fit. I'm using a plane jane urban-esque Eddie Bauer bag, so my 16" AR is a squeeze but works.

Some other thoughts:
    whether or not you plan on being with them or just want to play it safe, maps of the area or a GPS would be mighty useful for staying off the beaten path, but close by. Also, I carry change with me just in the off chance I need to use a pay phone (unless of course they're zombies from South Park, in which case ditch the change).

the only thing with AR + SO Extended is it does not leave nearly enough room for a full set of wool clothes and everything else. will it?

MAP! AMAZING i forgot fing maps! and ill put my old GPS in there as well with a couple sets of AA's.

ill tell you what, going with an EOTECH that takes AA's, the flashlights i have (per Bruce's thread) use AA's, my headlamp uses AA's, GPS uses AA's. i think i will have to mandate that all future gear use AA's because the prospect of maintaining a verity of battery types is surprisingly daunting.

I am definitely with you on this one, as I have been looking into preparing one for myself.

But I have a question, why not carry the AR on a sling on your shoulder instead of broken down in the B.O.B.? I assume if I am bugging out, I most likely do not need to hide a weapon, and might feel safer discouraging someone just by having the AR on my back.

Basically, if I bug out from my current location, there would be no reason to go back, and would most likely be dangerous to try (especially if NOLA happened here...)

damn that's a fine point about the AR.

my plan for this thread is to edit the OP when i have a substantial 'basics' list and keep it going as i develop the packs. so, any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

the BOB is an emergency self extraction pack. it does not assume you have no 'home base' to return to or attempt to encompass all necessary materials to survive for more then 2 days in light and natural shelter.

a compass! i forgot a compass.

Can't wait to see your list.

I know there are lists all over the internet, and it takes tailoring to your specific needs.

Again with the AR...It might also draw unnecessary attention. Any threat I need dealt with will be handled by my concealed handgun. The AR is more of a hunting weapon and *possibly* defense weapon when you're in camp/home base/folk's house/etc.

S.O.Tech might not be your ticket for this amount of gear. Not quite sure how supporting 20+lbs on one shoulder would be. My Eddie Bauer, Macy's clearance isle, did me pretty well. Its get a bit over 1,200 cubic in. space, has D-rings on the straps, a chest buckle, and plenty of organizational capacity, and looks "sheeple"

If you want a more "tactical" looking bag...I'd recommend the ATS RAID pack. My buddy has one and it is nothing short of amazing when I took a look and reviewed it.

Here's a link showing it and what one guy can load into it: http://gear-reviews.net/Articles.php...tent1215448357

here's the link to the product itself: http://www.atstacticalgear.com/cgi/c...ction&key=1037

i think i might actually pickup a GS05M for myself so i have the rifle option.

i really like that first link, Matt. my list is growing now. That bag is ideal as well, low pro but MOLLE equiped with good space, and cheap.

a big item on my list is MRE's. anyone have a hook for proper military MRE's?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads