Open carry options
Close

Open carry options

This is a discussion on Open carry options within the Tactical Gear forums, part of the Gun Forums category; Like the title says, I'm looking for an open carry holster, because I don't have a CCW. Because I'm poor, lazy, and have a crappy ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Neither here, nor there, but not everywhere.

Open carry options

Like the title says, I'm looking for an open carry holster, because I don't have a CCW. Because I'm poor, lazy, and have a crappy work schedule. I really should get it, though...

But, that's a different discussion. Anyways, I currently have a kydex hip holster with no real retention whatsoever. It seems that the belt clip is getting loose, and it doesn't "retain" the gun very well, it flops around (the holster, not the gun IN the holster), etc, etc. It sucks. It also presents the problem of not having anywhere to carry the gun if I should desire to wear a coat. Right now, I'm debating between the hip/drop leg thing. I don't REALLY want to take the drop leg route, because.... Well, I just don't want my gun hanging down on my leg (although, something that rides a bit below the hip would be nice. I have long arms.) However, I'm at a loss as far as another method of open carry while wearing a coat. :/

So, as far as hip holsters go, I've been looking at the Safariland 6270, but have yet to find a place to order online. As far as drop leg's go, I haven't seen a whole lot, but like Safariland's options there, as well.

Anyone have any other notable mentions? I'm looking for anything other than leather, and hopefully cheap. I'd also like it to be quick/easy on/off. IE: Something like a belt clip, or snap around the belt. Being non-gun specific is a plus, but not required, because I *really* only carry one gun. And, yes, I'm a cheapskate.

All this talk about open carry options brings up another question... Anyone know if it's legal to use a IWB holster without a CCW, if the gun is still "visible"? I can't seem to find a clear answer as to how much of the gun must be clearly visible to constitute "open" carry.

What kind of pistol is it? For open carry around at work I use a Blackhawk Serpa.

Second... its a bad idea to open carry period.. You get alot of negitive looks and cops dont like it. Ask a cop, then ask another and some others. You will get all kinda replys to it.

yea its a bad idea to open carry cause chances are if something were to happen they would go after you 1st....ccw is the way to go

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

I hate to say it, but some of the OC fans do it because they thrive on confrontation. This is the exact opposite attitude you should have when carrying.

Actually, open carry works quite well here (AZ is kinda a gun-happy state), and ALOT of people do it. I have yet to get a negative comment from anyone except one guy (who was an idiot and rather rude). The conversation went something like this: (I was carrying my S&W in a clearly visible IWB holster at the time)

Him: Do you have a permit for that?
    Me: No, I don't need one.
    Him: Really?
    Me: Yeah, really.
    Him: Are you sure?
    Me: Yeah, pretty sure. I haven't needed one yet, is there something I don't know?

At that point, he grabbed his bags off the counter and left. Aside from that, the most "negative" response I've gotten was from a co-worker when I came into work (to shop) at 2AM, carrying. lol And that was just a "What's up with the gun?" kind of thing.

Now, wearing BDU's in a bad neighborhood (without guns) is a different story... I've had the cops called on me for that one. But this isn't helping my situation, in any case. lol
    Maybe it's just because I look like the last person you'd expect to be carrying, and most people don't even notice, but it's worked well for me, and I hope it will until I get around to getting my CCW. I went out shopping with my mother recently, we were out all day. She didn't even realize I was carrying until I got out of the car at home and she asked "Did you have that all day? I didn't even notice." I dunno, I guess I'm just discreet about it.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Nose Nuggets's Avatar
    its not so much the average joe being frightened or unaccepting of the fact that you want to carry. there are a myriad of circumstances when you will be picked from a crowd to be dealt with first should you happen to find yourself in the right place at the wrong time. of the many, a bank robbery is a good hypothetical. waiting in line like everyone else, 3 guys storm in to rob the place, chances are if they are serious players they wont even bother with reason. they will see a weapon and just kill you. some people argue that it might prevent them from robbing the bank in the first place. unlikely. same goes for the common thug on the street, most OC proponents would wager that it deters criminals, and that does have validity, but only to a point. yes, if you where picked to be mugged, then they saw your gun, you would no longer be the mugging target. but what have you set yourself up for instead? stalking. now they know you have a gun, and all criminals want guns, why not follow you home? the greatest advantage to being the criminal is you get to commit the crimes on your own timetable.

what i am getting at is this; i would never, ever, in a million years suggest OC to anyone for personal carry. the fact that CCW is not only available, but almost guaranteed in your situation, i think this is a miserable compromise because you think you dont have the time. how long would it take to save the cash? dont go out to eat for a month, use a couple vacation days and get it done.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) mwink822's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets
    its not so much the average joe being frightened or unaccepting of the fact that you want to carry. there are a myriad of circumstances when you will be picked from a crowd to be dealt with first should you happen to find yourself in the right place at the wrong time. of the many, a bank robbery is a good hypothetical. waiting in line like everyone else, 3 guys storm in to rob the place, chances are if they are serious players they wont even bother with reason. they will see a weapon and just kill you. some people argue that it might prevent them from robbing the bank in the first place. unlikely. same goes for the common thug on the street, most OC proponents would wager that it deters criminals, and that does have validity, but only to a point. yes, if you where picked to be mugged, then they saw your gun, you would no longer be the mugging target. but what have you set yourself up for instead? stalking. now they know you have a gun, and all criminals want guns, why not follow you home? the greatest advantage to being the criminal is you get to commit the crimes on your own timetable.

what i am getting at is this; i would never, ever, in a million years suggest OC to anyone for personal carry. the fact that CCW is not only available, but almost guaranteed in your situation, i think this is a miserable compromise because you think you dont have the time. how long would it take to save the cash? dont go out to eat for a month, use a couple vacation days and get it done.
    My thoughts exactly. OC is not a good way to do it, even if it is an available option. Get licensed for concealed carry, carry to the fullest extent possible, and stay concealed. There is no way I would ever open carry...then again I do carry a 1911 C&L which looks rather menacing to most folks.

If you must open carry and want a good holster option, the Blackhawk SERPA is the best thing going right now, they're reasonably cheap, they have great retention of the gun and the draw is quite fast thanks to the easy release retention system and the low cut front that gets the muzzle clear of the holster a little faster.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Nose Nuggets's Avatar
    i would sooner illegally CCW then legally OC. that's how adiment i am about it.

my .02 on the serpa; i would never own a holster with mechanical components. if it has the potential to break in a way that would make it any more difficult to deploy the weapon then pulling it out, its not even on my list.

i would sooner illegally CCW then legally OC. that's how adiment i am about it.

my .02 on the serpa; i would never own a holster with mechanical components. if it has the potential to break in a way that would make it any more difficult to deploy the weapon then pulling it out, its not even on my list.
    Agreed all around.

its not so much the average joe being frightened or unaccepting of the fact that you want to carry. there are a myriad of circumstances when you will be picked from a crowd to be dealt with first should you happen to find yourself in the right place at the wrong time. of the many, a bank robbery is a good hypothetical. waiting in line like everyone else, 3 guys storm in to rob the place, chances are if they are serious players they wont even bother with reason. they will see a weapon and just kill you. some people argue that it might prevent them from robbing the bank in the first place. unlikely.
    First off, I can't remember the last time I was in my bank (I cash my checks at work before I leave). Second, they don't allow weapons (of any sort) anyways, so I wouldn't be carrying, even if I was there. Theoretically, yes, I *could* carry concealed in the bank, but I'm not sure if the cop at the door would like it if he found out. (Yes, there IS a cop at the door of my bank all day every day)

same goes for the common thug on the street, most OC proponents would wager that it deters criminals, and that does have validity, but only to a point. yes, if you where picked to be mugged, then they saw your gun, you would no longer be the mugging target. but what have you set yourself up for instead? stalking. now they know you have a gun, and all criminals want guns, why not follow you home? the greatest advantage to being the criminal is you get to commit the crimes on your own timetable.
    I carry so rarely, it's unbelievable. When I DO carry, it's either A) To go shopping with my brother at 2AM or some other ridiculous hour, B) To go to the shooting range that's packed with people OC'ing. Don't get me wrong, it's not because I don't WANT to carry, it's because I never really can. I'd carry every day at work, if they'd let me. I've actually debated CCW'ing illegally (and against company policy), just because I'd rather get fired (and probably put in jail) for having to use a gun I had, than having something worse happen because I didn't have a gun. That, and I've lived in the same house for 20 years, and I don't think there's been a house broken into within two blocks in that time. Amazingly enough, despite the neighborhood, there's VERY little crime.

Yes, I know CCW is better. Eventually, I WILL get my CCW (I hope. That's what I've been telling myself, at least. Unless Obama says otherwise). But this topic was for the purpose of suggesting holsters until then. Also, as I believe I mentioned in a previous post, you'd be surprised at how many people I can stand around and none of them seem to even notice that I'm carrying, cops included. It's kinda scary, actually. In any case, when I DO get my CCW, it will NOT be easy to do so. But, I'm sure I'll manage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads