Ithica Model 51 Featherlight - Page 3
Close

Ithica Model 51 Featherlight

This is a discussion on Ithica Model 51 Featherlight within the Shotguns forums, part of the Gun Forums category; It is a blast to shoot! (no pun intended) I like it a lot, hence I was unhappy to ready about the metallurgy issues. I ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    It is a blast to shoot! (no pun intended) I like it a lot, hence I was unhappy to ready about the metallurgy issues. I guess I will just keep my fingers crossed.

Funny little story about the gun actually. We used to live in Binghamton, NY which is right near Ithica. I guess my dad knew the guy that was working for Ithica guns at the time this gun was being designed. He was one of the lead designers for the gun. My dad got one for hunting and told this guy. He was happy to hear it and they met up cause he had something he wanted to give my dad. He came over to the house with "a barrel on every finger" and told my dad to pick one. That is how my dad got the vented rib barrel that is on it in the pictures. Just a neat little story to go with the gun! Sometimes those make them just that much better!

Nifty! That is a really classy looking shotgun with the vent rib.

Yeah its too bad that Ithaca has been in financial trouble so many times. Now they are being churned out in Sandusky Ohio.

The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

Yeah I saw that. I'm honestly very impressed with the gun. Hopefully it holds up. Now I'm working on getting one of the pump's off my dad.

I love the 37 pump. Although its just a redone Remington from about 30 years earlier, they made them better than the eariler Remy's

Another great John Browning design.

The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

There is a Browning that will be mine at some point. It was my great grandfathers that he won in a trap shoot. It is Amazingly detailed, with gobs of scroll work and checkering. Next time I am home I will get some pictures.

Just be aware that if you ever get a barrel for a 37, that many require fitting and there are different tolerances and specs for certain serial number ranges.

Good to know.

kcw
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeneState83 View Post
    I have heard about this issue. Is there anything I should be watching for. I got this to be a shooter and want to make sure I am safe to continue shooting it. I have put probably 25 shells through it with no issues. I was looking to start shooting trap/skeet.

Where should I be looking for wear?
    To be certain, the slide on the 51 isn't exactly overbuilt, but the primary problem is that of a weak/short factory installed recoil spring. The faulty spring allows the carrier to come back too fast, causing the bolt to SLAM into the poly buffer affixed at the interior rear of the receiver. The poly buffer inside the bolt is likewise battered. Eventually the buffers shatter, resulting in metal to metal contact between the receiver-bolt & carrier. The energy from the violent collision causes the slide to crack, usually on the left side. EVERY 51 NEEDS AN UPDATED SPRING! JUST DO IT! The replacement I got through Diamond Gun Smithing in Ithaca NY measures 15 & 1/8", 2.25" longer than the original! Diamond also supplied the two buffers which are considered to be "wear items" to begin with, although sorely neglected by most 51 owners, resulting in cracked slides Diamond can also weld up cracked slides, an item no longer available as new.

wonder if this design flaw effects the mag 10?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads