Ithica Model 51 Featherlight - Page 2
Close

Ithica Model 51 Featherlight

This is a discussion on Ithica Model 51 Featherlight within the Shotguns forums, part of the Gun Forums category; Gorgeous shotty you got there....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) mwink822's Avatar
    Gorgeous shotty you got there.

If Ithaca would have caught the issue with metallurgy, I feel this gun would have been a serious competitor to the Remington 1100. I like them better than the Remingtons to be honest, but I have always passed them up because of the action bar issue.

There has been some rumors of the new owners of Ithaca playing with the idea of resurrecting the 51.

This of course is not a new problem, the Super X1 had similar issues, which Winchester and Browning improved upon on the Super X2 and Browning Gold.

The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

I have heard about this issue. Is there anything I should be watching for. I got this to be a shooter and want to make sure I am safe to continue shooting it. I have put probably 25 shells through it with no issues. I was looking to start shooting trap/skeet.

Where should I be looking for wear?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

Check for cracks in the action bars when you take it down.

If they break it wont hurt you, the gun will just stop working.

Parts can be found, but it could cost you 150-200 bucks.

You might be able to get a good smith to weld them, but if the metal is bad, it might just break somewhere else.

If you shoot lighter trap type loads, it would help keep it running longer if its one of the ones prone to busting.

The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

The parts you said you can find. Do they have the same issue? I think I will most likely only be sending target load through it, as I don't need any more for trap.

Good to know no harm could come to me if it were to break. Make me fell better shooting it, let alone letting friends shoot it!

You just dont know if they will bust or not. They are all used or backstocked parts Ithaca had on hand when production ended.

Chances are that if the gun already had a decent round count through it, it would be ok, but you never know.

After the Model 51 went out, they only made a 10ga for themselves. All other Ithaca autos were made for them by SKB of Japan.

How complicated is the action bar? Might be an interesting project to build a replacement action bar from scratch.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/schemzoom.asp?schem=076Zz51

It is part # 35 in the schematic above.

I don't have the tooling to make it myself...but it doesn't look too complicated. I will probably just keep it as is and if something should happen then I will cross that bridge when/if it comes.

I am sure it could be done, but to have it done would be expensive.

Like I said, it was a shame as it was a nice shooting design.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads