Gun Forums banner

Shooting Illustrated review: Mossberg 930 'SPX'

20K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  brucelee 
#1 ·
Last fall I asked folk if they had any knowledge of or experience with a range of shotguns I had in mind toward home defense. Amongst the selection was the Mossberg 930 SPX which looked to be interesting and other folks asked that if I find out anything to pass on the info.
Well here ya go folks I came across this tonight while looking for something else entirely...

By definition, self-defense firearms must be simple. In a crisis—unless you’ve practiced and rehearsed a variety of scenarios—the fear factor alone will have you fumbling with trigger-lock keys, dropping a cartridge or short-stroking the action in a feeble attempt to minimize noise. The results could be disastrous for you and your family.
That reality isn’t exclusive to civilians either. Some striker-fired handguns have become popular with law enforcement partly because of their simplicity. In a tense, perhaps deadly situation, less is better.
If you prefer a long arm, conventional wisdom has it pump-action shotguns are the best choice for journeymen homeowners. The shuck, shuck sound of a shotshell being chambered is often said to be enough for a criminal to fill his drawers. I saw it work once in grade school, when my gun-fearing mother sent a housebreaker packing by pumping the family’s unloaded 16 gauge. I don’t know for a fact he needed an underwear change, but he did drop the crowbar in mid-kitchen-door pry, and it remained in our trunk for years—a utilitarian and mobile trophy, of sorts.
But times have changed, and today someone who breaks in probably has been casing your house or the entire neighborhood, so the ruse may not work. Worse yet, drugs could be involved and the perpetrator may not know what he or she is doing, or even care.
Luckily, semi-automatic shotguns that function with nearly the same simplicity as a pump have proven their reliability on the streets and on the front lines. And, they’re finding their way into more homes as a primary defense firearm. Mossberg’s gas-operated, 930 SPX 12-gauge is one such semi, and its firepower is enough to make even a PCP user stand up and pay attention.
The 930 SPX is Spartan. Its matte-black finish is all business, and it can go relatively unnoticed in a corner, behind a door or underneath the bed. Its polymer stock is ideal for this kind of work, and it’s been proven for years in the company’s
waterfowl-hunting versions of the platform. In other words, don’t expect the dust bunnies under your bed or unexpected campsite mud bath to jam the action or do any damage.
The tang-mounted safety is a familiar configuration for most shotgunners. It’s at your thumbtip the moment you shoulder the arm, minimizing the risk you’ll fumble as you try to find it in the dark. Push forward and you’re ready to fire. For daytime use, red shows when in the fire mode. The test gun’s safety wasn’t as smooth and
positive as I’ve grown accustomed to, though with a little break-in time I’m certain it will remedy itself.
There’s no glamour in the sights either. Up front is LPA’s M16-style sight, with a red, fiber-optic insert. The business end of any firearm usually takes most of the knocks, which makes the protective wings that rise nearly 1/2 inch on both sides of the fiber-optic element a great addition. The unit is tack welded onto the barrel and is non-adjustable.
Because the rear sight is affixed to a beefy Picatinny rail, the front sight rises
1 1/4 inches above the barrel. It happily survived every bang I subjected it to and the steel wings on the sides shielded the fiber-optic element from damage. The sight’s edges are smoothed and angled to preclude hang-ups on fabric, doors or carpet during presentation.
The rear sight, a ghost ring fully adjustable for windage and elevation, is also made by LPA. It too has protective walls on either side, again angled and smoothed to preclude unexpected hang-ups. If you prefer your home-defense shotgun to be topped with an optic or want to adjust the rear sight’s position, the receiver-mounted rail makes changing things easy.
The 930 SPX chambers both 2 3/4- and 3-inch 12-gauge shotshells. It can handle non-toxic shot and slugs. Its 18 1/2-inch barrel comes in cylinder bore and is not threaded to accept choke tubes. Magazine capacity is seven. Considering the shotgun’s primary function, it’s not much of a drawback.
About the only glitzy object on the 930 SPX is the chrome ball that protrudes slightly into the front of the trigger guard when the gun is cocked. In fact, it’s the only shiny object I could uncover on the gun until I tore it apart. It too is very
intuitive and easy to find in the dark. Simply push your trigger finger forward within the trigger guard, and you’ll feel the knob. If a perpetrator comes at you in that instant you’re checking the gun’s status, there’s no trigger-finger relocation necessary—just pull back your finger and you’re ready if the threat needs to be handled. When the hammer isn’t cocked, the indicator rests completely flush with the trigger guard.
The stock comes to the shoulder naturally and its molded checkering ensures positive purchase, even with wet or sweaty hands. The recoil pad is a little too tacky for my tastes, but it’s soft enough to tame 3-inch magnums when combined with the shotgun’s gas-operation.
The trigger has some take-up, and the tiny amount of creep is only noticeable if you’re working it very slowly. It’s fine for a personal-defense shotgun, in fact probably better than most. Let-off weight took me by surprise at 5 pounds even.
The magazine extender may be one of the 930 SPX’ few weaknesses. It got slightly bent during testing, either during my drop tests or as the gun participated in a days-long personal defense course. It didn’t affect the platform’s performance, but because the 7-inch extension underneath the barrel is going to take a significant portion of the brunt during slips or falls, it’s worth watching.
Unloading has been made easier too, thanks to the company’s EZ-Empty system. By depressing the bolt release, the carrier can be pushed up and the first shotshell in the magazine will come out. Remove that shotshell and simply repeat until the magazine is empty.
Recoil was tolerable with all loads tested and there were no hiccups during my range session or during the extended course beforehand. At 7 yards, using Winchester’s 2 3/4-inch Super-X Buckshot Loads, all nine of the 00 pellets stayed in a 4 3/4-inch circle. That’s pretty much ideal for home-defense purposes, where shots will be quick, up close and personal. At 20 yards, four of the pellets stayed within the same area, widening of the pattern you’d expect from cylinder bore.
I was also surprised at how tame recoil was when the 930 SPX digested slugs. International’s 2 3/4-inch, 325-grain lead-free ammunition yielded a 1 3/4–inch group at 20 yards, offhand. It’s not like you’ll have time to find a rest in a life or death situation, so testing was kept as realistic as possible. Remington’s 3-inch rifled Slugger load, with a 7/8-ounce slug, yielded a 1-inch group.
Mossberg’s 930 SPX may not produce that familiar shuck, shuck sound almost guaranteed to make a criminal drop their crowbar and run, but sending the receiver home still has a haunting and reassuring ring. And after some serious time behind the trigger, this shotgun instills the kind of confidence it takes to protect yourself and your family in time of need.

The article along with multiple additional up close pics and detail can be found at; http://www.gunsandhunting.com/Mossberg930.html
Mossberg 930 SPX - http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=10&section=products
A couple of items I like about this offering is that it comes with a pic rail and a ghost ring rear sight. I've got an EOTech 551 and I'd mount it atop this cowitnessed with the iron sights FTW. I like the loaded shell indicator as well.
Down side though is that the bore is cylinder while for the usage I'd prefer improved cylinder or atleast ability to install a choke, which this is not threaded for. I suppose it could be threaded by a smith but who knows how much coin that would cost. :\

Anyway that aside this looks to be box stock a nice HD shotgun.
It could very easily do double duty in 3-Gun competition or remove the extension tube and you have a nice turkey gun as well.

- Janq

See less See more
#3 ·
Yep BA the rear sight won't cowitness for sure, I expect that.
The front sight might be okay though as it's pretty darn high.
If not I'd get a flatter sitting mini red dot optic.

BTW, additional information via a review from an actual owner who wound up modding his somewhat, which I like even more for HD and 3-Gun purposes...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=228303&page=1

- Janq

#6 ·
They used to be around 400 bucks dealer cost. All the reviews I have read since we last discussed this gun are pretty good. The big complaint is that the gun's forearm feels really bulky, and there is no option for a shorter stock(for body armor and tactical vests).

They shot 10k rounds through it in Argentina and took the Blackwater course with the 930 and it never failed. This is a leap forward from the older models 9200 and 5500.

#8 ·
For some reason I can still log into a few of my old accounts, I just cant buy anything. Dealer list is around 450 for the SPX, and 351 for the Home Security model.

#9 ·
BrokenArrow said:
How about the FN Shotgun? http://www.fnhusa.com/products/firearms/model.asp?fid=FNF004&gid=FNG002&mid=FNM0007

Various types of dot sights will work with low mounts.
What I originally wanted was the FN SLP as it is for my purposes perfect right out the box.
Problem though is two fold;

1) It costs a grip!
Street price is damn near $800...and last time I looked they were on backorder due to overwhelming sales!
2) This past summer the BATF decided to ban further import of them due to their being high capacity shotguns or some such nuttiness.
Last time I checked FNH was allowing US stock to dry up and then that would be that.

:(

- Janq

#10 ·
brucelee said:
I'm very interested in this particular shotgun, any word on it's MSRP?
As stated at the articles source (go there as there is more info than what I carried over)...

Manufacturer:
Mossberg, (203) 230-5300;
www.mossberg.com
Model: 930 SPX
Gauge: 12, 2 3/4- and 3-inch
Action Type: Gas-operated semi-automatic
Stock: Synthetic
Receiver: Steel
Barrel Length: 18 1/2 inches
Choke: Cylinder bore
Capacity: 7+1
Sights: Fiber-optic front, ghost-ring rear
Trigger Pull Weight: 5 pounds
Overall Length: 39 inches
Length of Pull: 14 inches
Weight: 7 1/2 pounds
MSRP: $600

Folk in that thread at AR15.com have indicated they are picking these up for $450 street via Dicks and others.
Other sites such THR are indicating same in regard to function and as purchased cost.

- Janq

#14 ·
dropmech said:
Is that the same shot gun in the post you made in the Newb forum about shotgun survival skills?
I didn't realize it when I posted that info but upon subsequent close attention yes they used a 930 SPX in that article.

BTW I called my local Dick's (Hadley, MA) and they don't stock it nor does their current order guide have it listed as an available item.
The counter manager said that they got their order guide in June and if the product debuted after that time (October) then they would not know about it nor have a way to order it without having a Dick's supply SKU. :\

- Janq

#16 ·
No one makes it for the 930. I havent looked at the design very close, but if the recoil spring is in the buttstock like the Rem 1100, then that idea is all the way dead.

#18 ·
I hate the newer guns that do that. The Franchi type system with the recoil spring around the mag tube is so much better for a gas gun.

#19 · (Edited)
BrokenArrow said:
Jang, the EO Tech 551 might not work for co-witnessing with the stock sights. The base on the EO Tech is a little thick. Your cheeck weld to the stock might also be affected.

Which is why he should get the Bushnell (Same company as EOtech) XLP, it's low profile and mush smaller than the tall bulky EOTech, not to mention about $200 less. :-D 15 settings, bright to dim... Works really well and would be ideal for that shotty. :)

Mounts up to a rail right out of the box

I have one on my AR-15 and I friggin LOVE it!

#20 ·
Adler said:
No one makes it for the 930. I havent looked at the design very close, but if the recoil spring is in the buttstock like the Rem 1100, then that idea is all the way dead.

Yeah, thats the downfall of a lot of the benelli shottys... I almost bought an Nova, but that recoil buffer design killed it for me. I prefer the simplicity of the Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 designs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.