AK red dot - Page 2
Close

AK red dot

This is a discussion on AK red dot within the Rifles forums, part of the Gun Forums category; Ok, here is a dumb question: Is it hard to install an AK side rail mount? There isnt much to it, looks pretty cut and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AK red dot

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) MrMcCrackin's Avatar
    Ok, here is a dumb question:

Is it hard to install an AK side rail mount?

There isnt much to it, looks pretty cut and dry, but I figured i would ask.

Depends if your receiver already has a mount on the left side. If not, you'll need to drill and rivet.

Thats what I am talking about, installing the plate on the left side

Google returns several topics that state you need a bore sighted and all kinds of stuff, while others state it just needs to be level with the top of the receiver

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

If the receiver is square and the front trunnion is not crooked, you should have more than enough windage in your optic to compensate.

Alternatively, you could fixture your barreled action with the barrel prefectly horizontal by sighting down the barrel with an inspection mirror at a distant target. Then, assuming your work surface is level, come up from the surface with a set of parallels and scribe a horizontal line on the receiver for the rivet holes. Overkill perhaps, but it'd be a fun excuse to do some old school machinist style work.

TWS Dog Leg update: I'm on the list for a batch that should be shipping next week! Going to run with just a peep sight for starters. If the UltraDot + Warne low rings combo from my Ruger Mk III will allow a cowitness, I may try that out.

pgt
    I've got a BeLoMo side mount red-dot I want to swap for a traditional side-mount with reticle. Interestingly, it doesn't play well with the iron sights on my .308 Saiga.

Update: just dropped my Lancaster off at the gunsmith to get a Russian side rail installed

He mentioned that this rail is milled and doesn't interfere with any of the rivets or fire control pins!

Just got an email from LaRue, their AK mini dot is being redesigned to fit the Fast Fire II!

Problem solved!

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) ORCA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMcCrackin View Post
    Just got an email from LaRue, their AK mini dot is being redesigned to fit the Fast Fire II!

Problem solved!
    YAY! Larue Mini Dot!

Yay! I always liked the LaRue Iron Dot concept. Not so keen on the Burriss Fast Fire II, though. 2 things bug me about the Burris:
    1) It's not a true 1x optic. Burris claims it's 1.07x, which is just enough to be annoying.
    2) The brightness is self-adjusting. Dimming is achieved via pulsewidth modulation (rapid off-on cycling), rather than varying voltage to the emitter. In low light conditions the red dot strobes at 60 Hz noticeably.

Oh yeah, about that Texas Weapons Systems v. 2.0 Dogleg.... I got one! It's nice! The front pivot replaces your standard rear sight and hinges from there. The back of the dust cover is set up to fit firmly against the left side of the receiver, and is held there by a spring loaded tab on the right side of the dust cover. Nice and solid (for a dust cover), and it's really nicely machined and hard anodized black aluminum. As a shooter who's never been a fan of burning myself on hot Ultimak tubes, the TWS Dogleg is pretty sweet. Plus, you can mount peep sight way at the back of the receiver a-la Valmet. I stuck a Primary Arms gen 7 mini red dot on the TWS rail, and it cowitnesses lower 1/3 with the irons. There's enough room with the hinge that you could probably fit a shorter magnified optic if you wanted, too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads