Purchased my first AR
Close

Purchased my first AR

This is a discussion on Purchased my first AR within the Rifles forums, part of the Gun Forums category; All stag, assembled by coldwar. i brought the upper home with me while the lower is in cool down. i pulled it all apart and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Nose Nuggets's Avatar

Purchased my first AR

All stag, assembled by coldwar. i brought the upper home with me while the lower is in cool down. i pulled it all apart and went over everything, looks sharp. the guy said it only had 150 rounds through it but the rear of the bolt had enough carbon deposit on it to require scraping, just slip 2000 and a rough rag did not pull it off. is that normal? i know it gets dirty but damn. also, how should the rings feel on the bolt? should they be tight with no gaps or is a couple mm of play okay? it does not drop out of the carrier under its own weight nor does the carrier fall onto the bolt if i rest the carrier on the bolt vertically. also, how hard would it be for me to replace the front post sight with a low profile gas block? maybe ill just take it to BrokenArrow's buddy's shop for that one...

all in all pretty happy for $1300, considering the same thing is $1200 from stag with a 6-8 month weight plus its already CA legal.

thoughts?

sellers picture, not mine.
    Last edited by Nose Nuggets; 07-04-2009 at 12:38 PM.

Stag makes some good stuff. Congrats.

The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

That looks damn good for a CA-legal gun. Congrats!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

"fixed mag" via bullet button.

Congrats...I love my Stag AR

anyone have answers to my questions?

Your gas rings are ok. The test you did to see if it would hold up the carrier is a good one to go by. As long as it passes that and the gun runs you are fine. As for the fowling, its not always easy to just wipe out. I always use some cleaner on a 20 ga mop for the inside and a toothbrush to get mine clean.

The low profile gas block is hit or miss. Some come off easy, some hard, and the taper pins only go in one way.

The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

Just a cosmetic concern, the low pro gas blocks aren't all as long as the fixed site block. Sometimes, the barrel is not coated underneath the gas block, as they may do it after the site post is mounted. If that's true, you may end up with some silver showing. Not a big deal, but just something to consider if you don't really need to move to a low-pro.

Gunatics Trusted Vendor brokenarrowtactical.com BrokenArrow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets
    the guy said it only had 150 rounds through it but the rear of the bolt had enough carbon deposit on it to require scraping, just slip 2000 and a rough rag did not pull it off. is that normal? i know it gets dirty but damn.
    The bolts tail and in the carrier gets pretty nasty when you shoot this type of weapon. It is normal. Need to scrape the carbon off. You should see how these rifles look inside after a full day of training with Viking Tactics and a Larry Vickers class!

Also, how should the rings feel on the bolt? should they be tight with no gaps or is a couple mm of play okay? The bolt rings are loose and can spin freely on the AR bolt.

It does not drop out of the carrier under its own weight nor does the carrier fall onto the bolt if i rest the carrier on the bolt vertically. Also normal for a new gun with minimal rounds through it.

Also, how hard would it be for me to replace the front post sight with a low profile gas block? maybe ill just take it to BrokenArrow's buddy's shop for that one...The taper pins need to be punched out. If you don't have any experience in doing this, definitely bring it to someone who knows how to do it. We can do this at the shop.

Why do you need a low profile gas block?

sellers picture, not mine.
    Nice carbine!

Quote Originally Posted by Charge
    Just a cosmetic concern, the low pro gas blocks aren't all as long as the fixed site block. Sometimes, the barrel is not coated underneath the gas block, as they may do it after the site post is mounted. If that's true, you may end up with some silver showing. Not a big deal, but just something to consider if you don't really need to move to a low-pro.
    If it's going to be hidden under a float tube or rail, you can always WECSOG a standard block into a low-pro one with some creative dremeling.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads