I got to fire a Sako TRG model 42 with a high end Leupold
Close

This is a discussion on I got to fire a Sako TRG model 42 with a high end Leupold within the Rifles forums, part of the Gun Forums category; I took a rifle shooting class that covered all the basics and tapped into tactical short range to large caliber long range. The class was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I took a rifle shooting class that covered all the basics and tapped into tactical short range to large caliber long range. The class was instructed by former and active military experts. I took a lot from this course, though it was only two days, it was really awesome.

Anyway, I got to shoot various types of rifles but none of them compared to the Sako TRG-42 (.338 Lapua). The rifle was equipped with a REALLY nice 3.5-14x56mm (If I remember correctly) Leupold VX-7 SUPER Long range scope, with varmint reticle. The rifle was stock from the factory with some custom adjustments... If you don't know the rifle, here's a picture, this is pretty much exactly what it looked like, down to the muzzle brake and bipod.

Here's a stock variation, I fired the model at the bottom of the photo

Now that you know what I'm talking about, on to my review.

I was only able to fire 20 rounds through this which was pretty damn expensive considering the round that I was shooting, but these were custom reloaded rounds that the gunny made himself so we just paid cost which was cool.

First let me say that I've fired a lot of really nice rifles in my day, one of the nicest being a custom white feather M1A (which is like the mother of all M1As). This was the springfield model only very customized, and until last week was the best rifle I've ever fired in terms of all around rifle-ism. Needless to say, that all changed big time!

When I first picked the rifle up, it felt pretty heavy and very heavy duty. It was very well balanced and wasn't so heavy that it would be difficult to carry, but it had that "quality weight" to it. You can't see it in pictures, but the parts on this rifle are BIG! The barrel to the muzzle brake, all big pieces that you can't see in the pics.

I watched as the instructor fired 5 rounds through it and got to gauge the recoil and such. If you've ever fired a .338 Lapua round you'll know that it is not only loud, but sounds like a small explosive had gone off, def not your ordinary large caliber round, thats for sure.

It was finally turn to shoot, my target was a cool 250 yards away which is a new distance to me since ranges around here are typically 100 rounds, and if you're lucky you'll get a 200 yard lane, but that has only happened twice, so the distance seemed really far for me since I wasn't used to it. Down range was a high visibility round target about 20" x 20"... To be honest, I was pretty nervous shooting that target in front of everyone since most everyone was a skilled rifle shooter. I got into shooting position laying down using the bi-pod. I calmed my breathing and put my finger on the trigger, I had my eye on the target through this wonderful scope... exhaled and took my shot... The instructor was viewing my target through a small telescope and yells "Kill shot, good job!". That comment gave me confidence and took any nerves I had away. I took my time putting all 20 rounds through that rifle, and when I was done, I can only say one word. Disappointed! Why, you ask? Only because I was out of ammo!

What a rifle! I never imagined that I would ever fire such a wonderful firearm, I didn't think it was possible! It was sooo smooth with it's action, the way the stock felt in my arms, and just overall a phenomenal rifle! The .338 round was felt through the stock but not so much that repeat shots would be a problem. The recoil felt about the same if not less then my Remington 870 with weak birdshot. It was really well balanced so that quick repeat shots were not a problem at all. I took 3 shots rather quickly to see how followups were, and like I said, not a problem which is a surprise with such a large caliber.

I don't even know how to really describe how great this rifle was, but it def kicked the crap out of that white feather M1A which also had great optics. If you guys ever get a chance to fire one, DO IT! If I had the money to spend on an expensive rifle in its range, this would the rifle I'd get... Though I hear the Blaser sniper rifle is supposed to be EPIC.

I never thought that a rifle would be so drastically different then other rifles... And by different, I mean better. You really have to shoot it to understand.

10/10, it's too bad it's more expensive then some used cars.

Has anyone else fired this rifle? I'd like to hear what you have to say, but due to it's rareness, I doubt anyone else has shot this thing.

Oh you lucky bastard.. if I could fire any bolt action it would be one of the TRG's

Plays Counter Strike and knows everything about guns. Gun-Nut's Avatar
    What school was it?

Are you going to give us a review?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Gun-Nut
    What school was it?

Are you going to give us a review?

It wasn't a real school... I have a friend I used to work with that is friends with an ex-military military gunny sergeant, he has a couple friends that are also ex-military... They wanted to put together a small school for their friends, and my ex co-worker invited me, so I felt very privileged.

Those guys want to eventually open up a real school and were basically using us for practice. They are going to do a pistol and shotgun course as well, not sure if I'm invited to that one though. They asked us to review them on various aspects so they can better their performance in the future. Since they were all friends it was a pretty light hearted course which included a pretty nice BBQ which included a lot of cool stories. It was a REALLY fun weekend and I'd do it again in a second.

Price for the weekend was $150 each. We each brought two rifles, and 400 rounds of ammo, 200 for each rifle but were told to bring extra just in case. We got to shoot their rifles for free (included in the $150), but we didn't shoot their stuff too much... They also had a couple specialty rifles which included the TRG that we had to buy our ammo for, and like I mentioned we paid cost on the home pressed rounds so it wasn't too bad, and it was WELL worth it.

One guy brought an M44 Mosin Nagant with some old soviet scope... It was a pretty nice rifle in terms of condition, but damn that guy was accurate as hell with it which really surprised me. Most other people brought AR-15s, couple AKs, and quite a few M1As, and a few other random rifles.

How's that for a quick review? lol... I had a lot of friggin fun, the guys were really great and were serious when they had to be, but were really funny and joked around during other times, which made it much more enjoyable...

Hmmmm, can't think of anything else... I can tell you that it's not going to be $150 when they start a real school, it was just $100 to cover costs and such since it was friends.

I'm much more of a rifle guy then I am a pistol guy, so this was especially fun for me. They get a 10/10 easily

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat
    Oh you lucky bastard.. if I could fire any bolt action it would be one of the TRG's

Dude, fatcat... You gotta get your hands on one just to try it! I don't know how the 300winmag model is, but its supposed to be pretty nice according to some reviews I read... The .338 model I shot was just amazing... Its no wonder why it's so damn expensive.

The next rifle on my list is a Blaser sniper rifle... I've been drooling over this rifle for a couple years now, it's supposed to be better then the TRG which I find hard to fathom. I guess you can't go wrong with either!

Blaser 93:

at least bolt gun manufacturers understand how the human hand is shaped.

Quote Originally Posted by einzelherz
    at least bolt gun manufacturers understand how the human hand is shaped.

Holy crap! As I created this thread I anticipated a negative einzelherz post telling me how a cleaned up M38 could totally kick the TRG's ass... But you said something "positive"... This totally threw me off, now my views of life and death have been greatly altered, all because you were positive. It's like you changed the way two negatively charged ions behave together!

*runs far away*

...clearly it was an April Fools moment.

How much does one of those TRG's cost?

Gunbroker showed them in the 3K range

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads