sighting in my .17hmr rifle + scope
Close

This is a discussion on sighting in my .17hmr rifle + scope within the Rifles forums, part of the Gun Forums category; Hopefully my rifle came in yesterday (or later today). The one I bought was actually used (found out from the owner), so he ordered me ...

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Blindeye_03's Avatar

Hopefully my rifle came in yesterday (or later today). The one I bought was actually used (found out from the owner), so he ordered me a new one & the price is actually going to be less.

Anyways I found the trajectory chart of .17hmr 17gr bullets if you have it zero'd for 100 yards.

0yd -1.5"
    25yd -0.48"
    50yd 0.15"
    75yd 0.34"
    100yd 0.00"

So if the range I am going to is only 25 yards long I can just zero it at .48" below bullseye and it will be zeroed for 100 yards?

Or am I missing something?

It'll be close, but only close. Those charts assume typical values for the following:
    - height of scope above bbl centerline
    - weather conditions
    - altitude
    - barrel length and diameter (i.e. actual muzzle velocity)
    - and at longer ranges, twist rate starts to make a difference independently of MV

Zero it at 25, half an inch low. Worse case it'll be within an inch or so at 100, and you can rezero it from there pretty easily.

So what kinda rifle did ya get?

I see I see. I wish I had access to an indoor range with a rifle lane longer than 25 yards. The longest one might be 50 yards but I really doubt its that long.

I do have access to a range out here where I live thats outdoor and I think its either 50 yards or 100 yards. Im not good on telling distance .

I ended up getting a savage 93fv .17hmr. I also got a bushnell trophy 3-9x40 scope. I bought what I thought was a new 93 .17hmr camo model but I found out it was used, so I had the owner order me a new rifle. I returned the camo today and got my FV, scope rings and 3 boxes of ammo for the same price as the camo model was used. SCORE .

I will get a pic up soon.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

Score! Sounds like a nice rifle.

Might as well sight it in at 25 just to break it in. Once you have it one-holing at 25, going further out will be that much easier.

I took it out today and I got it sighted in some. Had a little wind on the 50 yard range but managed to do ok for my first time shooting it. It is always windy here so I will probably try to get to that indoor range and see if I can get consisten at 25 yards.

My bag that I bought to shoot on (remington bags from Walmart) is so low that the gun points downards when you have the gun on the front and rear bag.

And I am sure it just needs to be broken in, but the 5 round mag wont feed the first round if you load up 5 rounds. So for now its a 4 round mag.

It shoots nice though =)

Just went to the range this past weekend with Brett and after finding what ammo the gun likes we tore up this target:

First shot went way right since the target was swaying and I was trying to follow it...I waited and then put 3 just up from the center and then we made a downward line with the bullets and then made it look like a cock and balls .

I think the gun shoots high when its cold, like the first 2 or 3 rounds hits high, and then as it warms up it goes lower. Weird... But the gun seems to like cci hollowpoints more than the ballistic tips.

This was just at 25 yards and I definately need more practice with it, but Im suprised at how accurate it is.
    Last edited by Blindeye_03; 03-15-2009 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blindeye_03
    but Im suprised at how accurate it is.
    I was surprised how easy that thing was to shoot also. Glad you had fun with my AR too

wow...double post 30 mins apart...

Well.. there isnt much recoil out of a gun putting 245 ft/lb of force on a target . But it does have more oomph than a 22lr which is good

Oh and your ar kicks ass, I love the heavy barrel more than when I had mine with the light barrel.

SLOW DOWN YOUR SHOOTING!!! SLOWER THAN 3 SECONDS BETWEEN SHOTS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blindeye_03
    SLOW DOWN YOUR SHOOTING!!! SLOWER THAN 3 SECONDS BETWEEN SHOTS!!!

I really can't believe he said that. I am in there damn near once a week, and I wasn't even shooting quickly

Remove Ads

Ads