Ruger NRA Edition Mini 14
Close

This is a discussion on Ruger NRA Edition Mini 14 within the Rifles forums, part of the Gun Forums category; The scope is mounted, and she's ready for the range! It's a Bushnell Trophy 3-9X 40 MM with Mil-Dot Reticle. The rings Ruger shipped with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The scope is mounted, and she's ready for the range! It's a Bushnell Trophy 3-9X 40 MM with Mil-Dot Reticle. The rings Ruger shipped with the rifle worked out very well. Just high enough so I can get the lens cover on the front objective. I checked with a set of points and the rings lined up perfectly. I even got the crosshairs straight the first time! A first for me. Tomorrow, weather permitting, we'll see how she prints. Bill T.

Did you buy that new? Did it come with the LE 20 round ruger mag?

Nice rifle there, you will enjoy it they work very well.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat
    Did you buy that new? Did it come with the LE 20 round ruger mag?
    Yes, I bought it new last week. It's the NRA Edition Model. It ships from the factory with the Hogue Overmolded Stock, a shorter, thicker, (16 1/8" barrel), and best of all 2, factory Ruger 20 round Hi-Cap Magazines. It appears Rugers self imposed ban on Hi-Cap Mini 14 mags is over. My dealer said he could order as many 20 rounders as I wanted direct from Ruger. The only problem is they are expensive, $50.00+ each. But at least now you can get them. Bill T.

It's a little hard to see with all the crap in the background, but if you look you can see where the barrel is a little shorter, and thicker where it exits the gas block. I'm hoping this will aid accuracy a bit. We shall see. Now all I have to do is figure out how to use the Mil-Dot system. Bill T.

About time Ruger quit being an ass about the high cap mags!

I like that thicker barrel.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Another thing I did that a lot of Mini 14 owners have mentioned is to check the torque of the 4 gas block screws and make sure they all have equal amounts of torque applied. This is supposed to help minimize the stress placed on the barrel where it comes into contact with the gas block itself. I've got to take my dog to the Vet this morning, then I'm going to the range and see how this thing prints. Hopefully later I'll have some good news to report. Bill T.

Well, accuracy is about what I expected. not a lot to get excited about. Function was flawless. I mounted the scope without any bore sighting and it was dead nuts in elevation at 100 yards, and about 6" left. I was zeroed after the third round. That Mil-Dot makes adjustments a snap. The 2 targets pictured represent a good average of the guns performance. Not the best, and not the worst. It seems to settle down after it warms up a bit. Like the idle on my truck. I didn't do any extended rapid fire, but did shoot a couple of 4 shot strings fast on steel gongs at 200 yards, and found them surprisingly easy to hit with the magnification dialed down. The gun handles well, and is very comfortable to mount and shoot quickly. Both 20 round magazines supplied with the gun functioned flawlessly, as did the 5 rounder I bought. All held the action open with the last shot. All 3 magazines inserted and locked into place without any issues, or excessive play. Brass ejection wasn't into the next county as on other Mini's I've seen. It lands about 10 feet to the right, and about 3 feet behind the shooter. None of it showed any denting or crushed case mouths. I really like the Bushnell scope I mounted as much or more than the Leupold VX II's I've got. It is very clear and bright. All total I ran 255 rounds through it. Both handloads and Remington UMC, as well as a couple of boxes of Federal XM-193 Ball. All shot well, and cycled the action without incident. It seemed to like the hotter Federal XM-193, 5.56 load the best. All and all it was a good day at the range with no unpleasant surprises. I wish the accuracy was better, but compared to some Mini 14's I've seen, this one isn't giving me much to complain about. This gun is going to get shot a lot in time to come, and has somewhat changed my mind about the Ruger Mini 14. I would say to anyone intending to purchase one, to get the NRA Edition. I think the thicker, shorter barrel helps a lot. It's not a match rifle, but it's a nice "fun gun". And that's what it's all about anyway. Bill T.

I just bought a NRA Edition a few days ago. It is shipping out on Monday and will be in my hands by Friday. I ordered a couple ProMag Magazine Ruger Mini-14 30-round magazines from Midway USA on Thursday. They will arrive in a few days. I am excited.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads