Smith & Wesson Model 438 Revolver
Close

This is a discussion on Smith & Wesson Model 438 Revolver within the Pistols forums, part of the Gun Forums category; I dont get it. Its one of the seems , to me, like one sweet little revolver, but some have some internal lock on them. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I dont get it. Its one of the seems , to me, like one sweet little revolver, but some have some internal lock on them.

Why do people dislike the lock so much? Do they just see them as useless, or over complicated, or whatever...can it actually mess up your action if its unlocked?

lock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVPYgohVCNM

long tech video, but it doesnt look very hard to remove the lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Mndfusion
    I dont get it. Its one of the seems , to me, like one sweet little revolver, but some have some internal lock on them.

Why do people dislike the lock so much? Do they just see them as useless, or over complicated, or whatever...can it actually mess up your action if its unlocked?
    Apparently there have been some instances of the lock failing, rendering the firearm inoperable.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

In a hypothetical court case, an unmodified gun that was lock-free from the factory is less likely to get you in trouble. A prosecutor could argue that a gun was modified to be "more deadly" if the owner modified it to remove a lock. Same reasoning is why folks like Mas Ayoob recommend against handloads and lightened triggers on any gun you indent to use for self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Group B
    Apparently there have been some instances of the lock failing, rendering the firearm inoperable.
    That's just so hard for me to wrap my mind around. I'd really like to see a more detailed explanation of what happened.thx

Quote Originally Posted by kartoffel
    In a hypothetical court case, an unmodified gun that was lock-free from the factory is less likely to get you in trouble. A prosecutor could argue that a gun was modified to be "more deadly" if the owner modified it to remove a lock. Same reasoning is why folks like Mas Ayoob recommend against handloads and lightened triggers on any gun you indent to use for self defense.
    Yea all of what you mention makes a lot of sense, I can see that.THX

Yeah some people with Hi Powers have been advised to not disable the mag safety to improve the trigger pull. So its not just the internal locks or revolvers.

Thats why I buy wheelguns from the pre lawyer scare era. My Ruger Security Six is much smoother than a new GP100 or most S&W revolvers.

The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

I played around with the 438 quite a bit. I can say other than my 60-10 stainless j frame s$w .357, its gotta be one of the coolest pocket revolvers I ever wanted. Plus the price isnt insane.

Angry

I have a model 327 .357 mag Scandium 5inch performance center turd and it will lock up dont even get me started on Smith and Wesson right now.I have been cooling off for weeks so i can call them.So much for for the foolproof wheel guns how much you think my old laddy can sue Smith for if they find me shot dead with this locked up high dollar P.O.S in my hand.Brad

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) mwink822's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mndfusion

My SA 1911s have something called an ILS mainspring housing that allows the gun to be rendered inoperable if the chamber is empty and no magazine is inserted. I can vouch and say that it does make the trigger a little less crisp than a 1911 without the ILS (particularly when compared to my Les Baer). IIRC, the Springfield manual that came with the gun included instructions on bypassing the ILS which ends up cleaning up the trigger pull a bit. I've never bothered with it, however, in that the trigger on my daily carried Springfields, while not as good as my Les Baer, ain't bad either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads