I want to CCW a 1911 in 10mm ... but I know NOTHING about 1911's
Close

This is a discussion on I want to CCW a 1911 in 10mm ... but I know NOTHING about 1911's within the Pistols forums, part of the Gun Forums category; I have never been a fan of 1911's. I still really don't like them, however it is a gun I SHOULD learn about. I believe ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I have never been a fan of 1911's. I still really don't like them, however it is a gun I SHOULD learn about. I believe it is just one of those things you need to know through first hand experience. So, someone point me in the direction of what makes a 1911 a commander, etc etc etc. What I should look for in a carry 1911, etc etc etc. Janq, I'm expecting you to spend a LOT of time in here. Thanks guys!

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) mwink822's Avatar
    You're not going to have much luck with getting a Commander sized 1911 in 10mm as I am completely unaware of any 1911 maker that manufactures a Commander sized 1911 chambered for 10mm.

For purposes of CCW, I honestly don't find the Commander to really have any advantage over the Government sized 1911, and therefore if you really want a 10mm 1911, I'd say go for one of the many options in a Government sized 10mm 1911. Makers with 10mm 1911s include Colt, Kimber, Nighthawk Custom, Volkmann, Wilson Combat, Ron Phillips and others I'm sure.

For ideal concealability, I'd say go for something that is an Officer's sized pistol, or if you really want the best of all worlds, I'd say the best thing around is something designed around Colt's CCO platform which is an Officer's frame with a Commander barrel and slide. I personally have a Colt CCO and find it to be an outstanding little weapon.

FWIW, what works for Janq or I as a CCW 1911 will not necessarily work for you, my hallmark example is my preferred checkering on the frontstrap, I like a very sharp, aggressive 20 lpi checkering, whereas many will prefer the easier to grab 30 lpi, serration, or stipling. Some other things that I like in a 1911 that is carried are lack of forward cocking serrations, conventional GI recoil assembly, tritium bar/dot night sights, and I really like me Smith and Alexander Magwell. The other MUST have in a 1911 that is carried is good reliable mags. In this department you can't go wrong with Wilson Combat #47, Chip McCormick Power Mags, Tripp Research Cobra Mags or good ol' Checkmate mags with hybrid feed lips.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

If you are considering other options, let me reccomend the EAA Witness in 10mm.

Otherwise you are going to have issues getting a 1911 in 10mm in a commander size. If you can tote a fullsize around then there are options, but the 10mm at its full bore strength does beat the 1911 platform pretty hard and the Colt Delta's had issues with breaking parts like the swingling link and slide stop with full Norma spec loads.

Personally I would run a hot 40 S&W or 45 acp +p in a commander size gun.

The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Adler

Otherwise you are going to have issues getting a 1911 in 10mm in a commander size. If you can tote a fullsize around then there are options, but the 10mm at its full bore strength does beat the 1911 platform pretty hard and the Colt Delta's had issues with breaking parts like the swingling link and slide stop with full Norma spec loads.

I agree, but again, when running a +P load in a sightweight framed 1911, be careful of the additional battering that the hotter load subjects the contact parts to.

But compared to the battering a 10mm gives, even a 45acp +p can be a bit mild.

The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

But compared to the battering a 10mm gives, even a 45acp +p can be a bit mild.
    True, but I still avoid shooting +P out of my aluminium framed 1911s.

True in allow guns that were designed with steel. The P1 Walther is a good example of what can happen when you dont take that into account. Lots of issues until the reinforced it in the early 70's.

I carry a full size 1911. Ideally, you want something with a throated barrel so it will feed hollowpoints (unless you like to use EFMJ). Other things to look for: beveled mag well, sights (recommend some sort of tritium night sights), and good mags. I use Mec Gar mags and have not had any issues with them. Another option to consider is whether or not you want an ambi-safety.

You could just go with .45 and that would expand your options quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by mwink822
    You're not going to have much luck with getting a Commander sized 1911 in 10mm as I am completely unaware of any 1911 maker that manufactures a Commander sized 1911 chambered for 10mm.

For purposes of CCW, I honestly don't find the Commander to really have any advantage over the Government sized 1911, and therefore if you really want a 10mm 1911, I'd say go for one of the many options in a Government sized 10mm 1911. Makers with 10mm 1911s include Colt, Kimber, Nighthawk Custom, Volkmann, Wilson Combat, Ron Phillips and others I'm sure.

For ideal concealability, I'd say go for something that is an Officer's sized pistol, or if you really want the best of all worlds, I'd say the best thing around is something designed around Colt's CCO platform which is an Officer's frame with a Commander barrel and slide. I personally have a Colt CCO and find it to be an outstanding little weapon.
    I have no idea what you just said. It might as well be in Russian.

Quote Originally Posted by mwink822
    FWIW, what works for Janq or I as a CCW 1911 will not necessarily work for you, my hallmark example is my preferred checkering on the frontstrap, I like a very sharp, aggressive 20 lpi checkering, whereas many will prefer the easier to grab 30 lpi, serration, or stipling. Some other things that I like in a 1911 that is carried are lack of forward cocking serrations, conventional GI recoil assembly, tritium bar/dot night sights, and I really like me Smith and Alexander Magwell. The other MUST have in a 1911 that is carried is good reliable mags. In this department you can't go wrong with Wilson Combat #47, Chip McCormick Power Mags, Tripp Research Cobra Mags or good ol' Checkmate mags with hybrid feed lips.
    Thanks, I wanted Janq's opinion because he not only explains in simple English what he likes, why he likes it, he also explains other options available.

Is the EAA Witness a 1911 style gun? Or just a 1911 inspired gun? The idea is to become familiar with 1911's through first hand experience. I am constantly coming across them and to be honest I don't even know how to take one down for a simple cleaning. They are 100% foreign to me other than firing a few. I will more than likely be picking up a Fortis Bren Ten when they finally come out, but not the first batch and not until they have been proven to be a solid gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Prod
    I carry a full size 1911. Ideally, you want something with a throated barrel so it will feed hollowpoints (unless you like to use EFMJ). Other things to look for: beveled mag well, sights (recommend some sort of tritium night sights), and good mags. I use Mec Gar mags and have not had any issues with them. Another option to consider is whether or not you want an ambi-safety.

You could just go with .45 and that would expand your options quite a bit.
    Excellent advice on the throated barrel. Something I did not know. I would like to stay with 10mm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads