need info. on colt 1911
Close

need info. on colt 1911

This is a discussion on need info. on colt 1911 within the Pistols forums, part of the Gun Forums category; i received a colt 1911 mark IV 70 series .45 cal. as payment for painting a house. can anyone like tell me a little about ...

need info. on colt 1911

i received a colt 1911 mark IV 70 series .45 cal. as payment for painting a house. can anyone like tell me a little about when it was made, where i can get info on it, where i might get a manual for it. etc.
    thanks

Basically you have a 70's vintage(most likely) 1911. This was the attempts to make the standard Government Colt 1911A1 into a more accurate gun by tightening the clearances and adding the so called "Collet Bushing" to the barrel. These were a spring type of bushing that made for tight lockup between the barrel and slide, but without the laborious fitting that is required to do so with a standard solid bushing. This was phased out when the Series 80 came into production. It did away with the spring bushing and returned to the solid bushing(the Collet one was more fragile and prone to break) and ushered in the firing pin safety system linked to the trigger in addition to the traditional grip and thumb safety. The series 70 is one of the more sought after Colts because of the overall quality of the build, which is lacking in the later series 80 guns, and the polishing is much better than the standard ones today. You got a nice gun.

Here is a couple PDFs of the manuals issued with them

http://stevespages.com/pdf/colt_gove...el_o1970a1.pdf

http://stevespages.com/pdf/colt_gove...70_model_o.pdf

Last edited by Adler; 11-09-2008 at 07:49 PM.
    The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

BTW.......Welcome to Gunatics.

The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

thank you
    thank you
    thank very much.......

You are most welcome. Enjoy the gun. It is one generally sought after by Colt purists.

Remove Ads

Ads