Rock Island Armory 1911 - Sight install and tuned.
Close

This is a discussion on Rock Island Armory 1911 - Sight install and tuned. within the Pistols forums, part of the Gun Forums category; Here are some pics of a Rock Island Armory 1911 that I tuned (for reliability)and installed new higher visibilty sights. Overall this 1911 has a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gunatics Trusted Vendor brokenarrowtactical.com BrokenArrow's Avatar

Here are some pics of a Rock Island Armory 1911 that I tuned (for reliability)and installed new higher visibilty sights. Overall this 1911 has a great price and the workmanship is pretty good. Now this 1911 is 100% reliable. It will feed the old style Speer "Flying Ash Tray" 200 JHPs as smoothly as 230gr FMJs !

For a cast frame gun (they use bar stock for slides now) these are pretty darn good starter guns. Good enough that STI uses their frames and slides for their Spartan series now.

The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

True, they do have cast frames. On this specimen, the hardness of the frame was pretty consistant. Not soft at all.

Overall, for the cost of these guns, they would make great defense guns if you were on a budget. Would I feel handicaped using one in a self defense situation?? NOT AT ALL!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

Yeah they used to have spotty quality on their metallurgy, but that has been resolved and now they seem solid, if a bit rough on the internals.

Im looking at one in 38 super.

The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

Some internal areas are rough, but they will not affect reliable operation of the pistol. The areas that needed to be smooth were smooth. For the money, not bad!

The gun sounds sweet in terms of functionality, but there is something about silver/wood/black combo that rubs me the wrong way.

The black slide, silver frame, and wood grips is a popular color scheme for the old timers. The Classic look.

In this day and age where polymer pistols are accepted as the norm, this color combo seems strange. I still remember when the semi-autos were viewed as jammatics! When the new plastic frames first emerged aka HK VP70 / VP70Z, HK P9S, and then Glocks, these new combat tupperware pistols were viewed with a cautious eye. Damn, how times changed !!!

http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/detail.aspx?ID=125
    Last edited by BrokenArrow; 07-15-2008 at 12:19 AM.

Yeah I know a couple old timers that wouldn't touch a semi auto for a duty gun. This one dude would shoot nothing but Colt revolvers.

It took me a while to warm up to the auto pistols for duty use. I always had them :1911s and Browning P-35s, but always reached for my wheel guns first.

I remember a quote from a big hollywood blockbuster, I think it was Die Hard... I THINK, or something similar and big. The quote was said to someone trying to buy a gun off someone, and the seller says "These are the all new Glock pistols, they are made out of porcelain and plastic, they are metal detector proof!"

Well, thats pretty much what happened in terms of the scenario, but the quote is right... Lots of people believed that and STILL DO!

Only reason I remember was because someone in the police academy asked a question during our first firearms class that pretty much mimiced that quote!

Sure, he's never fired a gun and knows nothing about that, and thats fine for most people, but when you're a cop, or trying to be one and you ask that question, its a little scary to say the least!

He's also the guy who stood up during class and asked our Training Officer if it was true that hollow points can penetrate body armor...

It was quite sad hearing someone ask questions like that... I kinda felt bad for him for being such a fragile kid with NO knowledge of firearms what so ever... EVER!

Oh! One more story about him... On our first shooting day we had two teams, he was on the opposite team as mine and he hadn't received his gun yet as it was on order or something... So he asked to use my G17, which is beyond reliable and has NEVER failed me in ANY way, shape, or form... That is, until he took hold of it...

My team and I are behind the glass loading our magazines as we watched the other team finish except for this guy... Every round he fired jammed, and everyone there who wasnt a glock fan shoved it in my face because I talk about how reliable they are, etc... The TO's are out there trying to figure out whats happening with the gun, so the training officer gives him his custom 1911, same problem... Jams. Thats when they realized that he was lip wristing the pistol to the degree where it would jam every time... I mean, to lip wrist something that badly for it to jam every single time, probably like 15 shots all that failed and he had to clear it before he shot again... Man, thats pretty f'ing sad. Then I turned around and shoved it right back into my teams face!

Ah, okay, enough talking crap about the kid... lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads