First Pistol Purchase - NEED ADVICE
Close

This is a discussion on First Pistol Purchase - NEED ADVICE within the Pistols forums, part of the Gun Forums category; I am looking forward to soon making my first pistol purchase and thought I would get others thoughts on choices or things I should know ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

I am looking forward to soon making my first pistol purchase and thought I would get others thoughts on choices or things I should know about purchasing in CA. So bring on the info! I'm a n00b. Hopefully me and brucelee can finally get together to get to the range to do some "test drives" on some different pistols. TIA

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Nose Nuggets's Avatar
    i dont know where you are in CA but Jacson Arms in south SF has a few for rent. i did most of my testing and purchased my USP from Bullseye in San Rafael. i highly recommend that place, i like it a lot.

my .02 is rent rent rent rent rent all you can. i wouldn't buy a pistol i have never shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets
    i dont know where you are in CA but Jacson Arms in south SF has a few for rent. i did most of my testing and purchased my USP from Bullseye in San Rafael. i highly recommend that place, i like it a lot.

my .02 is rent rent rent rent rent all you can. i wouldn't buy a pistol i have never shot.
    Live in Concord, work in Hayward. Thanks for the recommendations and advice! I totally agree with you on the testing first, like I mentioned brucelee is a friend of mine so I'm hoping I can borrow borrow borrow instead of the rent rent rent haha. I am considering a Glock and based on short discussion with brucelee was leaning towards the 21.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

Well if you plan to shoot alot, then go with a 9mm. Personally I love the Steyr and Walther P99 as far as plastic goes, with the CZ75 my fav metal framed 9mm.

The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Adler
    Well if you plan to shoot alot, then go with a 9mm. Personally I love the Steyr and Walther P99 as far as plastic goes, with the CZ75 my fav metal framed 9mm.
    Thanks for the advice! What is cost like on these pistols you mentioned? Where could I view them online?

All of these pistols can be found in the 500-700 dollar range new most places, and cheaper if you shop around at a place like budsgunshop.com. As for in person, I have no idea, I live in Iowa.

Another good one is the Beretta PX4

The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

Thanks! w00t this forum is great, only posted at 12:25PM today and getting plenty of information. Some forums is like you wait and wait for answers.

Awesome, it's time to purchase!

Ammo cost is a major factor in this, and will determine what caliber you get.

9mm is great for shooting at the range, fairly inexpensive and fun to shoot, however, the ballistics of the 9mm round are weak. .45ACP is my fav round, and the gun I choose to fire is it is the G21. Simply the best best pistol I have ever fired. Bar none. Some pistols may be better in some aspects, but the G21 all around is a winner. Reliability, accuracy, capacity, and stopping power The G21 holds its mark as the top of the line pistol for me.

Since you're a little smaller than me, you might want to try the G21SF, slim frame, but I like the big grip of the G21

Gunatics Trusted Vendor brokenarrowtactical.com BrokenArrow's Avatar
    Take a look at the Smith and Wesson M&P pistols also. Many P.D.s are starting to use them.

A good .38 special / .357 Magnum revolver is also another choice to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by brucelee
    Awesome, it's time to purchase!

Ammo cost is a major factor in this, and will determine what caliber you get.

9mm is great for shooting at the range, fairly inexpensive and fun to shoot, however, the ballistics of the 9mm round are weak. .45ACP is my fav round, and the gun I choose to fire is it is the G21. Simply the best best pistol I have ever fired. Bar none. Some pistols may be better in some aspects, but the G21 all around is a winner. Reliability, accuracy, capacity, and stopping power The G21 holds its mark as the top of the line pistol for me.

Since you're a little smaller than me, you might want to try the G21SF, slim frame, but I like the big grip of the G21
    You have for sure sparked my interest so hope we can find time to hit the range soon!

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenArrow
    Take a look at the Smith and Wesson M&P pistols also. Many P.D.s are starting to use them.

A good .38 special / .357 Magnum revolver is also another choice to look at.
    Thanks! Will do. Seems everyone has a different opinion so looks like I need to do a lot of shooting and create my own opinion. Been surfing around budsgunshop.com, any other suggestions on place to look online?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads