Review: Great AFFORDABLE high performance flashlight (LED)
Close

This is a discussion on Review: Great AFFORDABLE high performance flashlight (LED) within the Optics and Lights forums, part of the Gun Forums category; It's been a few months since I acquired my LED LENSER P-14 flashlight, since then I've used this light as my primary which means that ...

It's been a few months since I acquired my LED LENSER P-14 flashlight, since then I've used this light as my primary which means that it has been used for almost any task.

Upon first inspection, the light passed my quality assessment with flying colors! It is made from aircraft aluminum, has a projection front lens which is focus adjustable using an almost instantaneous switch that makes the beam into a very focused spotlight to a cone-like solid beam (the beam is solid with no dark spots thanks to the way the lens throws the light). Has a pressure switch on the cap (off-constant-pressure). It takes 4 AA batteries, only they are not stacked on top of each other, they use a battery pack similar to what the Borealis 1050 uses, its like a sort of cradle that you put 4 batteries into and then you put the cradle into the flashlight.

Now onto the light segment. The P14 called this category its own. I believe this model has 220lumen of light, coupled with its ingenious focusing feature, you get to use every single lumen as it was intended! If you want a broader cone-like beam (with no dark spots!!!), or if you want a very intense spotlight, this is the light for you.

I was very amazed at the output considering that it takes 4 AA, you don't hear me complaining! It's also very easy to carry with you since it doesn't weigh an arm and a leg (even though it does have good weight to it). Very sturdy design which means that it can take some abuse (like cracking someone across the face wouldn't damage it, it's too solid).

The battery life on this thing is INSANE which is another reason I love it! No more having to worry about lame ass batteries! 180 HOURS of life @ 175lumen! (seems so much brighter then that)

Here's a link to the site and product which lists the specs
    http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/7...rshoot1hg4.jpg

In this pic it kinda shows you how the focus feature works. Without that feature this would be just another flashlight, but that feature really makes the flashlight into something special.

Neither here, nor there, but not everywhere.
    While I appreciate the link to the pic of the Skyline (Skyline's are beautiful cars), it's a bit unrelated, don't you think?

I need to do some sort of review of some of my flashlights... How much did this one run you?

Link to the manufacturer's website, directly to this product: http://www.ledlenserusa.com/product_...?modelNum=8414

MSRP is 130 on this light. It is unregulated as far as power conditioning is concerned. The focusing prism seems to be of good quality. It isn't technically waterproof, though its claimed by manufacturer to withstand being submersed in 1m of water for 5 minutes. Other users have claimed this to be of good quality, and with Li batteries can obtain about 4.5 hours of run time.

The following pictures are from http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...0&postcount=14

Flood pattern:

Focused pattern:

I know its bad practice to link to other forums, but I thought I'd throw up the beam patterns I found until Bruce can get some of his own up.
    Last edited by mattxander12; 02-28-2009 at 07:43 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Nose Nuggets's Avatar

Hmmmm, those beam shots are weak... Doesnt look like that at all really.

Also, mine was like $69 and it wasnt on sale, which is why I gave it a good review, very nice for an affordable light... I'm a flashlight snob and I liked this light a lot. Its built really nicely and has a lot of throw when in beam mode. Plus its a single LED which means more battery life and no changing bulbs.

If you love flashlights and are on a budget, this is the light for you! For how much light you get, the wide range of beam patterns (light years ahead of the maglite-like focus), quality of the overall product, and battery life, this light is a GREAT value.

This would be equal to a Honda Civic Type-R, only in flashlights. Very reliable, loooong life, efficient, and some pretty good power.

The Borealis 1050 flashlight that Black Bear makes would be the car equivalent of a Lamborghini Murcialgo... I don't have to explain that one (Insane amount of power, precision engineering, but 1 hour of run time)

The Surefire HID monster light (3500+ lumen) would be like having a Bugatti Veyron. (Fastest street legal car on earth)

So you see, this flashlight isn't something thats going to blow people away like the Borealis or that insane HID surefire, but like the Civic type R, you're going to use it very often, probably every day. I don't know about you guys, but I want something bright, very reliable, water resistant, and something that has very long battery life, and this is the light that will do all that for you! Lets not forget the focusing lens that it has... Its a very nice feature to have that a lot of other lights dont have.

For $60-80, its well worth it.

(I have the next size up too, it's a little longer and heavier, only the light output is almost identical... The only diff I can see is the bigger one is about one VERY small shade of white more than the smaller one. I'd stick with the smaller compact version if I were you.

Neither here, nor there, but not everywhere.
    Random note... The Bugatti isn't the fastest street legal car on earth. The Callaway Sledgehammer (modified 1988 Twin Turbo Corvette) STILL holds the record, being recorded at 254.76 mph, on October 26th, 1989. The SSC Aero also passed the Veyron. But the Corvette doesn't have a seven digit price tag. lol

I'll try to remember to review some of my lights this weekend... I forgot to do it today. Maybe I should write myself a note. In any case, I want one of those Surefire HID lights now... Just so I can say "My flashlight is 3500 lumens, what's yours?".

That surefire light is about $3,000+

There are many other HID flashlights that have the same light output for only $550 and up.

I hate surefire... Biggest ripoff EVER.

what in gods name are you doing up at 4 in the damn morning?

/on a school night

Quote Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets
    what in gods name are you doing up at 4 in the damn morning?

/on a school night

Working part time, and the night shift to boot

i picked one of these up, this thing is really bright. its a bit bigger then i thought it was going to be, but still fits in the hand nicely. i really like the sliding front quick-focus; this design is much better then the traditional twist-to-adjust.

Remove Ads

Ads