Attention Moderators: Regarding spam bots - Page 4
Close

Attention Moderators: Regarding spam bots

This is a discussion on Attention Moderators: Regarding spam bots within the Off Topic Forum forums, part of the Gun Forums category; Originally Posted by DJ 9iron There is one in the newbie forum... Yeah, but he's not posting. Looks like it worked for now. They can ...

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ 9iron
    There is one in the newbie forum...

Yeah, but he's not posting. Looks like it worked for now. They can register, just can't post.

Schweet
    Be cruel, make someone Think.

What are the new rules?

Good job.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat
    What are the new rules?

Good job.

New rules? regarding spam, if a bot or person (most likely just a person) just ban and delete. if I see someone post spam, I don't just ban them, I delete their entire profile and existance. I'm trying to get the spammers into the banned user group category, once they are lumped into that group I can purge the database of all banned users to free up space.

Good job guys, thanks so much for helping me out with moderating and stuff, this place wouldn't exist without you.

er, rather Did you do something to stop them from signing up?

Pads our numbers. Makes us look more impressive.

The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

Well, they can sign up however they aren't made into registered members that can post, all they are doing is basically registering a name, but are not activated. I can make it so I have to personally approve every single member, but I'm not always on the computer so if someone wants to register a legit account they have to wait for me to approve them and thats a pain in the ass, especially with my luck/track record of being accident prone and not having computer access sometimes for an extended period of time.

I tried making it so that you guys would be able to do it also (approve members) but it is easier said then done... I tried and tried but couldn't get it to work... There's a software patch that I need to install before I can do that and I really don't have the time and knowledge on upgrading certain things because they take forever and cause downtime... So we'll stick with this method for now and see how it works out, if it doesn't stop them then I'll take the next step and lock this place down and approve everyone one by one. There's more to it then just that, but you get the idea.

Too bad we can't launch missiles at the spammers home address.

Imagine if your job was just to spam message boards all day. You know people get paid to do that? How f'ing pathetic. If I went to a party or something and met someone who did that for a living, I'd probably remove one of their limbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Adler
    Pads our numbers. Makes us look more impressive.

hahhah, thats true actually... it increased out rank in the message board statistics.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Nose Nuggets's Avatar
    my .02 is the occasional spammer is worth not having to authorize every registration attempt. lots of people wont even bother if the process relies on human authorization. if you want more people the help thwart this plague of spammers i would be more then willing to ban spammers as i see them.

Quote Originally Posted by brucelee
    Well, they can sign up however they aren't made into registered members that can post, all they are doing is basically registering a name, but are not activated. I can make it so I have to personally approve every single member, but I'm not always on the computer so if someone wants to register a legit account they have to wait for me to approve them and thats a pain in the ass, especially with my luck/track record of being accident prone and not having computer access sometimes for an extended period of time.
    Dude, you should have one or two backup admins. I think I heard Adler volunteer just now!
    Be cruel, make someone Think.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads