Why AR's are drastically better than AK's in a ZOMBIE scenario
Close

This is a discussion on Why AR's are drastically better than AK's in a ZOMBIE scenario within the New Members forums, part of the Gun Forums category; To begin, this thread was made for entertainment purposes with a little gun knowledge thrown in. Input made in an adult fashion appreciated. Why AR's ...

To begin, this thread was made for entertainment purposes with a little gun knowledge thrown in. Input made in an adult fashion appreciated.

The AR v.s. AK argument is a long, quite boring one that will probably never end. There are thousands of these articles on the Internet but being my first thread I figured I might as well start with it. I will be comparing the two in a single fictitious scenario. This is why I feel an AR would outperform an AK in a ZOMBIE scenario. First of all, what is the number one rule in a zombie scenario? That's right, shoot for the brain. Which rifle is proven to have better accuracy? The AR 15, a factory standard AR will typically shoot at about 1.5 MOA with a scoped rifle and an average shooter. An AK with the same scope with factory parts will probably get a 3 to 4 MOA, on a good day. The AR will consistently be able to put shots in the skull area out to about 300 yards. (which is the farthest away I would kill a zombie from.) The AK was never designed to be an accurate rifle and at best can hit a chest shot from about 250 to 300 yards. This works fine, if it's a normal person. However, A chest shot will most likely not be able to drop a zombie unless you miraculously hit it in the spine or something. Ok, I'm done with accuracy. Now for a small debate about reliability. It's true, AK's are more reliable, but for zombies I don't think the reliability is much of an issue. Before you rant let me explain why. I feel that any zombie slayer worth his salt would know that in a fast firing close range scenario (where reliability would come into play) its best to switch to a pistol or a shotgun. After all, a battle rifle which is what they BOTH are is typically intended for engagements at about two hundred yards where shot placement is more critical than volume of rounds. Plus, an AR that has had even minimal maintenance will typically run 100% reliable. This is why, in my opinion I'm not worried about reliability. Last we'll wrap things up with prices and such. It's true that AK rounds are generally less expensive than AR rounds, and the AK rifle itself is generally about 20% less expensive than an AR. But, because the AR is an American rifle, parts and ammo will be generally easier to find. Most 7.62 sold here is imported and if you would do just a little bit of research is currently not being imported at all. The 5.56 is an American round and will almost always be able to be bartered for or scavenged from The huge amount of police, national guardsmen, or fellow preppers who've been bitten. Once the AK rounds are gone there pretty much gone for good. Most ammo manufacturers are tooled to make 5.56. so it may be possible to produce more. So, even though AR's and their ammo is generally more expensive it will probably more common to run across. This is why I feel the AR is a much better option for zombie slayers.

sorry, but you are misinformed. for brain shots, even with ear protection in place,the pistol is quite inferior to the rifle at a mere 5 yds, (on a moving zombie) You do NOT want to switch to the pistol, but you might have to do so, if you have no time to swap mags in the AR, or you're out of 223 ammo, or if it's dark, very close quarters, indoors,as you flee, etc. The modern assault rifle has its sightline so far above the line of the bore that you have to aim 2-3" high at 10 yds and less, or your bullets will pass under the brain.

you really need a few partners for zombie situations, and if you have said partners, everyone should sling a 5 ft long spear, with a cross hilt at about 1 ft from the point, with about 10" of blade. Anytime you see 1-2 zombies alone, one of you should impale the chest, push it down, and another one of you should lop off the head, and impale the brain. Just get rid of them, one by one. save your ammo for when you have screwed up and attracted a lot of them. naturally, you will get silencers on your AR15 and a .22 pistol, so that you can QUIETLY brain quite a few of them. Don't try it beyond 50 yds with the rifle, if they are moving, or beyond about 20 ft with the silenced .22 handgun. It's possible that the .22 handgun will lack adequate penetration, so you could silence a light, handy rifle, likke the out of production Marlin M70 Papoose. The AR7 is a piece of junk.
    Last edited by blastit; 06-14-2013 at 01:18 PM.

btw, while i may be a noob HERE at this forum, I've been heavily into guns for 45 years, and into hunting, trapping, all things projectile and survival for 50 years now. googl.e for Ciener firearms and check out their line of .22lr conversions for AK's, AR's, 1911's, mini-14's, .22's are 135 rds to the lb, 223's and 9mm's are 40 to the lb. there's more .22lr's made and imported here than all other calibers combined, to include shotgun shells. Right now, people are foolishly hoarding them, but normally, using a .22 unit saves you 25c a shot or more, especially in rifle calibers. so the $200 .22 unit pays for itself in less than 1000 rds! It's also allowed on indoor ranges, where the 223 is not, and it's quiet for practice and foraging. A sound suppressed 223 sounds like an "un-canned". .22lr rifle, and with subsonic ammo in the .22 unit, it sounds like a BB gun. With an 11" barrel, scope, free float tube, match bthp ammo, RRA trigger job parts, and scope (in a "see thru mount) with a bipod, it's no great feat to hit man torsos at 1/4 mile, and still hit as hard out there as a 9mm pistol does at 10 yds. Ie, not very hard, but definitely lethal. Given a folding stock, the canned shorty will conceal under a jacket, under your arm, on a sling. Pull apart the receivers (5 seconds) and the shorty will conceal in an attache case, grocery sack, gym bag, or backpack. Luminous iron sights, Nosler Partition softpoints ( for deep penetration in deer and men) etc, and the little AR is the most versatile longarm available. It puts the shotgun to shame, realistically.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

yeah guys dont get me wrong i am a HUGE fan of the .22 lr round. I have a tacked out rifle and pistol myself but the point of this was to just compare those two rifles solely but thanks for the Input!

Remove Ads

Ads