Sighting in...
Close

Sighting in...

This is a discussion on Sighting in... within the New Members forums, part of the Gun Forums category; I was curious, what's the general consensus on sighting in rifles? As in, what should your target picture look like? Today I sighted in my ...

Thread: Sighting in...

Sighting in...

I was curious, what's the general consensus on sighting in rifles? As in, what should your target picture look like?

Today I sighted in my M1 for this sight picture:

To me, it makes sense. At 100 yards, my bullet will hit exactly on the line of the top of my sight. This is how I've always shot, but most of my shooting experience comes from air rifles at 10 yards. At 100 yards, I found it difficult to judge the half-way point on the target for a bullseye. I still shot pretty well, for 4 of my shots. Not sure what was up with the other 4.

I was thinking about re-sighting it in for this sight picture:

My problem with this is that my bullet is going to actually be x number of inches above the top of my sight, so it would be less precise. Basically, if I'm shooting at things other than the paper targets I shot today, I'm going to be off. But I was thinking that I may be more accurate because it requires less guesswork on my part.

So, what's the general consensus on sight pictures?

At 100 yards your point of impact should correlate to your first sight picture. You should shoot at shorter distances with sight picture 2 since most rifle will shoot really high at under 100 yards.

I notice my pistols do this as well. I have to aim lower at under 25 yards, and dead on at 25yards.

You will get used to shooting with aperture sights. Took me forever on my M1 Carbine and Garand, AR15, and MAS36.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

The general consensus is those are awesome salt and pepper grinders.

Also, the sights will take some getting used to. How did you like shooting it?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat
    The general consensus is those are awesome salt and pepper grinders.

Also, the sights will take some getting used to. How did you like shooting it?
    It was a blast. I have some videos and pics here: http://www.gunatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3172

If you are serious about shooting at standard targets, you could sight it for a 6 o'clock hold at 100 yards. Otherwise, sight picture #1 is probably a better general purpose setup.

The 6 o'clock hold will be the easiest to keep a consistent point of aim. My boss was a top shooter for the Army, he was telling me that on the 600yard targets, he would use the top corner of the target stand to aim at, working his dope from there.

Remove Ads

Ads