M&p9l
Close

M&p9l

This is a discussion on M&p9l within the Members Gallery forums, part of the Gun Forums category; Couldn't say no to it. Good deal at a local shop and $50 rebate or 2 free mags (the rebate's still good until May 31st)....

Thread: M&p9l

M&p9l

Couldn't say no to it. Good deal at a local shop and $50 rebate or 2 free mags (the rebate's still good until May 31st).

Nice, I'm on the same boat as you... I can't afford one right now because of the new house purchase, but if a deal arises that I can't resist, this is a pistol that I will DEF jump on! I've heard nothing but great things about it... Congrats on the purchase.
    When in doubt, ask Adler.

Yep I had heard almost nothing but good things too. Had 2 concerns based on things I've read online, but here's what I found:

1) The stock trigger isn't that bad. I got a M&P9L, not the 9Pro which comes with a S&W Performance Center trigger. The regular 9L trigger isn't heavy or gritty or inconsistent. Feels like maybe 5.5 - 6 lbs. Has a very definite 2 stage feel, so I can understand people complaining about the long take-up. When the trigger resets there is a faint click which could stand to be a little bigger, but you can feel it. Once press through the pre-travel (or ride forward to reset), there is essentially no 2nd stage travel. Breaks crisp and consistent every time. I could see how an Apex Tactical or Performance Center job might improve the reset feel, but otherwise I have no complaints about the trigger.

2) The slide release is really tight. Takes a strong thumb to work it. Supposedly it lightens up after break in. We shall see. You can always slingshot the slide instead though, and the slide serrations work fine for that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

Range report time!

The 3 dot night sights and long sight radius are great. It prints 115 grain Winchester White Box a little to the right for some reason. Everything else I ran through it from 100 grain mouse farts to 147 +P all hit point of aim, though.

Had only one malfunction in 400 rounds: a bad primer (or maybe light primer strike?) with Double Tap of all things. Lot #006394. Was a little weird considering this is the first bad pistol primer I've run into in like 5000 rounds, and that's including a lot of lower quality practice ammo.

So other than that, the gun runs great! The slide release loosened up and is easy to actuate. Turns out trigger reset *IS* a little too vague for my tastes, so there's an Apex Tactical kit on the way now

I was worried about that trigger reset and thought it might have been a little too over reported buy super anal/sensitive shooters, but I trust your report and will take that into account if I ever buy one. It's not like I can't remedy it, but it'd be better if it just came from the factory with a better trigger... *shrug*

The failure you had sounds a little fishy... Do you honestly think it was a bad primer? (Failure due to ammo) Or do you think that it could be the fault of the pistol? I think this needs further investigation and I look forward to hearing about your future range reports to see if this is in fact an issue on the pistol side VS the ammo side.

It's good to hear about the slide release... I HATE when pistols have a difficult SR, it's annoying as hell and could cost you some valuable time in a real life scenario... So good to hear that it broke in correctly. How is it compared to a Glock? How big of a difference is there now compared to how it was from the factory? How many rounds did it require to break in?

Sorry for all the questions.
    When in doubt, ask Adler.

Quote Originally Posted by brucelee
    I was worried about that trigger reset and thought it might have been a little too over reported buy super anal/sensitive shooters, but I trust your report and will take that into account if I ever buy one. It's not like I can't remedy it, but it'd be better if it just came from the factory with a better trigger... *shrug*
    The Pro versions come with a Performance Center trigger that's supposed to be better, but I couldn't justify the difference in price. Besides the regular model has nice night sights and the Pro has a fiber optic front sight which I don't prefer. Also, people say the Apex trigger is even better than the Performance Center one.

IMHO unless you're used to riding the reset, the trigger is not a problem at all.

The failure you had sounds a little fishy... Do you honestly think it was a bad primer? (Failure due to ammo) Or do you think that it could be the fault of the pistol? I think this needs further investigation and I look forward to hearing about your future range reports to see if this is in fact an issue on the pistol side VS the ammo side.
    Here are some pics. (56K, go police your brass)

It's good to hear about the slide release... I HATE when pistols have a difficult SR, it's annoying as hell and could cost you some valuable time in a real life scenario... So good to hear that it broke in correctly. How is it compared to a Glock? How big of a difference is there now compared to how it was from the factory? How many rounds did it require to break in?
    The slide release is a pretty similar to a Glock. No aftermarket extended releases for the M&P, though. I didn't do anything other than run the gun and it started releasing without any fuss. I shot maybe 250 rounds of 100 grain Speer frangible, 100 of WWB, 20 Alabama Ammo JHP's, 20 Federal 9BPLE, and 50 Double Tap 147 grainers. I was slingshotting the slide until about halfway through it all, so I can't say when it loosened up, but it runs fine now.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) MrMcCrackin's Avatar
    this thing is making me yern for another SIG!

Neither here, nor there, but not everywhere.
    Just remember... It's not a slide release. It's a slide lock.

My Duty Carry Action Enhancement Kit (DCAEK) arrived from Apex Tactical today. It includes a new sear, new striker block plunger, new sear spring, and a new trigger return spring.

tl;dr up front: BIG IMPROVEMENT

Unless you're getting Apex parts for a dedicated race/range gun, I'd recommend the DCAEK with duty carry springs, rather than just the sear alone. The duty carry springs give it a Glock NY Trigger feel. Trigger weight around 5-5.5 lbs, rather than barely 4 lbs with the Apex sear by itself.

The new trigger feel is less stagey, with more weight initially and not as much variation in weight as the trigger is moved rearwards. The break is just as clean as before, which is to say it's just fine. EDIT: installed the striker block plunger, too. The rounder profile of the new plunger eliminates the last of the staging and grit from the pull.

Most of the reviews I've read talk about how the break is cleaner and there's less grit and staging. While that's true, the biggest improvement I noticed was a shorter reset. The trigger still doesn't *CLICK* into reset firmly like some tupperware guns, but at least you don't have to ride the trigger as far for reset to happen. The frustrating "false reset" issue with the OEM trigger parts also appears to be gone.

Detailed installation videos here,
    part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHr-IyejH7g
    part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHr-IyejH7g
    Last edited by kartoffel; 06-08-2010 at 08:52 PM.

Remove Ads

Ads