Reputable Firearms Retailers - Page 3
Close

Reputable Firearms Retailers

This is a discussion on Reputable Firearms Retailers within the Knowledge Base forums, part of the General Gun Talk category; Company Name: Power Custom / Red Star Arms Website Address: http://www.powercustom.com/ / http://www.redstararms.com/ State: Missouri FFL: yes Rating: Excellent! Transaction Type: AK gas piston, rivet, ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Company Name: Power Custom / Red Star Arms
    Website Address: http://www.powercustom.com/ / http://www.redstararms.com/
    State: Missouri
    FFL: yes
    Rating: Excellent!
    Transaction Type: AK gas piston, rivet, fire control group, and misc spare springs.

Notes: Super slick mail order, shipping & tracking. Vendor emailed me the same day to say that one Wolff spring was out of stock and would be drop-shipped separately from the rest of the order. Talked w/ Mr. Power himself briefly during the transaction and he was awesome to work with. Two thumbs up for an outfit with a winning combination: 22's and AK's.

There are plenty of reviews out there for the Red Star AK fire control group, so I won't go into details. People say it's pretty much the best damn trigger you can put in an AK, I tend to agree

Also, Red Star's US-made AK gas piston is a great item. It is clearly marked "USA" for 922r compliance and was a perfect fit. It is turned from solid stainless with a nice slick finish. Best feature: there is a through hole just behind the piston head where you can stick a dowel through to use as a handle to screw it into your bolt carrier. Every other AK gas piston I've seen needs to be carefully gripped with non-marring jaws of some sort to install without scratching. After riveting it in place, I chucked a cotton buffing disc in my dremel and buffed the face of the piston to a mirror shine with some jeweler's rouge. After 120 rounds of stinky Wolf at the range, the piston wiped clean with a dry paper napkin.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) MrMcCrackin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mwink822
    Company Name: Shooter's Supply Inc.
    Website Address: www.shooterssupply.net
    State: New Castle, Delaware
    FFL: Yes
    Rating: Excellent
    Transaction Type: Purchased two hand guns, transferred another handgun, night sight installation, and numerous odds and ends in between.

Notes: They don't have the best in-stock selection in the area, but they can get anything your little heart desires at a competitive price. What's better, they know what their regulars are after most of the time.

Hey - i bought my first Sig 229 in .357Sig from them!

btw - i cant believe i have missed this thread!

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) MrMcCrackin's Avatar

Reputable Firearms Retailers

Company Name: Coleman Tyler
    Website Address: http://www.colemantyler.com/index.ph...fa461e07de9af9
    City, State: Gilbert, AZ
    Transaction Type: Firearms puchases.

Notes: No store front, on-line ordering only. Can pick up locally from their home office. Best prices on AR's hands down, easy to work with and can get ANYTHING you want even if its not listed on their website.

Company Name: 44Mag
    Website Address: http://www.44mag.com/default.asp
    City, State: Harbor, OR
    FFL: No
    Transaction Type: Magazine purchase

Notes: Great prices. Ordered my first set of Pmags, fast transaction, fast shipping!

Company Name: Top Gun Supply
    Website Address: http://www.topgunsupply.com/
    City, State: Chesterlang, OH
    Transaction Type: Magazine purchase

Notes: Great prices. Ordered my second set of Pmags, super fast transaction, super fast shipping!

Company Name: Midway USA
    Website Address: http://www.midwayusa.com/
    City, State: Columbia, MO
    Transaction Type: AR and Shotgun parts

Notes: Great prices. Fast shipping, has almost everything you could possibly want.

Company Name: Optics Planet
    Website Address: http://www.opticsplanet.com/
    City, State: Northbrook, IL
    Transaction Type: ACOG

Notes: Great prices. 100% Guarantee works! Website said they had the ACOG that I wanted in stock, they called me the next day to inform me that it was on back order and they knocked 10% off the price for my troubles!

Company Name: Outdoor Pros
    Website Address: http://www.outdoorpros.com/
    City, State: Riverside, CA
    Transaction Type: Rifle case

Notes: Great prices. They were almost giving away Maxpedition Rifle cases! Fast shipping.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) mwink822's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMcCrackin
    Hey - i bought my first Sig 229 in .357Sig from them!

btw - i cant believe i have missed this thread!
    How about that. Depending on when it was, it may have been before John took over. Regardless, still a great shop.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) mwink822's Avatar
    Company Name: Targetmaster
    Website Address:www.targetmaster.com
    City, State: Chadds Ford, PA
    FFL:Yes
    Rating:Excellent
    Transaction Type: Purchased two handguns and had them transferred to Shooter's Supply in New Castle, DE. I've bought two handguns there, one of which was sent back to Springfield Armory for warranty work by them. I also shoot at their indoor range.

Notes: They always have a great selection from all of the big name manufacturers, their prices are good. There is also an 25 yard indoor range with rental guns available (including a selection of fully automatic). Also noteworthy is that they frequently offer various safety training, including training that is accepted for purposes of obtaining a Delaware CCW permit.

Company Name: The Tacklebox
    Website Address: N/A
    City, State: Lexington Park, MD
    FFL:Yes
    Rating:Good/Excellent
    Transaction Type: Rem870, ammo (12ga, 7.62), accessories, minor repairs.
    Notes: Very friendly and ameniable staff, seemingly knowledgable (and will tell you if they don't know the answer). Wish their prices were a little better and that they had more of a selection. Apparently they have been around for like 70 years.

Company Name: Bass Pro Shop
    Website Address: www.basspro.com/
    State: Altoona, Iowa
    Rating: HORRIBLE
    Transaction Type: Attempted to buy a Mossberg 500 Bantam

So there has been a lot of hoopla over Iowa getting a Bass Pro Shop. Anyways they were advertising a bunch of sales on shotguns, and the wife loves to go clay pigeon shooting, but has to wrestle with my fullsized 68 vintage Mossy. So I thought I would go there and see what they had. They had one for 289 plus tax there. Being the meticulous buyer I am, I wont buy a model off the rack unless its cherry, and they usually are not. I flagged a guy down (it was somewhat busy) and asked if I could see the Mossy Bantam 12ga. He just plain and simple said "no" and blew me off. I hung around and saw a couple other people get the same treatment. The only people who got to hold the guns were people that just walked up to the counter and said they wanted to buy it.

Seriously, what kind of shit policy is this? I said fuck it and just ordered a youth stock set for my old 20ga.

The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

Ben
    Company Name: Bud's Gun Shop
    Website: www.budsgunshop.com Also for LEO/military only, www.budspolicesupply.com
    State: Lexington, KY
    Rating: Great
    Transaction Type: Purchased a S&W M&P Pistol and Springfield M1A.

I got introduced to budspolicesupply.com from Gunatics last Christmas when they had $399 M&P's and S&W was running a $50 rebate. A couple weeks ago I ordered from them again for an M1A. Both dealings have been outstanding. They have a lot of FFL's already on file. You can either select one of them from their website when checking out, or if you prefer somebody else, send them that FFL's information. They ship to the FFL with an invoice that says in big bold letters to hold for "your name" with your phone number.

I've only ever dealt with the police supply website, but it's the same company. They've got a larger selection of items on the budsgunshop.com, but better prices for LEO's on budspolicesupply.com. I randomly check the website to see if they got anything new in stock, which is how I ended up getting the M1A.

Neither here, nor there, but not everywhere.
    I have a feeling that I've posted about these guys elsewhere, but I don't remember where, so... I'll post it here.

Company Name: LA Police Gear
    City, State: Uhh... LA? lol
    FFL: None known
    Rating: Mediocre at best
    Transaction type: Picked up some assorted items a while back (Streamlight TLR-1 and a few other items), and just recently ordered a new pair of boots.

Comments: Prices are usually about the best you can find, especially on their clearance items. Shipping costs are as expected. BUT...

Be prepared to use a temporary email address when ordering, as the spam DOES NOT STOP. I get around 4 emails a week from them for various "specials" they're running (which aren't really that special). If you want to expect to GET your clearance items (should you order any), you might want to call/email them first to see if it's actually IN STOCK. On my first order, I threw in a clearance knife, and got an email that my order shipped, but the knife was backordered, and they would have more soon, and they'd ship it separately when it arrived. That was October 1st, 2009. I'm still waiting for my knife. Granted, they didn't charge me for it, and I didn't NEED it, so I'm not terribly upset, and don't care enough to email them about it, but.. You'd think they'd at least SAY something. Like maybe "By the way, we won't be getting anymore of these after all, sorry...".

On the recent order for a pair of Magnum boots (which were also on clearance), I ordered April 28th. Got an email April 29th "Thank you for your order, blah blah blah. To avoid any delays, your order has been shipped directly from one of our distributors. While we cannot provide any tracking information because of this, be assured that your order has indeed shipped, and will arrive soon.". May 14th (almost exactly two weeks later), I get an email (dated April 29th in the email) with tracking information showing that it was picked up by FedEx in Stockton, CA on May 12th, and should arrive on the 17th. Why it took THIRTEEN DAYS to process and ship out, I have no idea. But, the shipping WAS free, so...

Overall, I'll probably order from them again when I find some deal I can't pass up on something I really don't need (like maybe another Streamlight...), despite being less than entirely satisfied with their service. However, if it's an item I NEED, and need to know WHEN (and IF) I'll get it, I would take my business elsewhere.

(Also, my previous post about Area51 has been updated, as I forgot to update it way back when)

Edit: Didn't realize how far back the previous post was. Pasting it here.

Company Name: Area 51 Tactical
    Website Address: www.store.a51tactical.com
    City, State: Taylor, Alabama
    Transaction Type: Put in an order for the previously mentioned VLTOR stock, along with a buffer assembly (tube, spring, etc), MagPul trigger guard, and DPMS Armorer's tool (which I am convinced CAN kill small animals just by dropping it).

Notes: Reasonable prices, flat rate shipping ($8, I believe), pretty good selection. Recieved my order in about a week after I put in the order. Didn't realize until I had already opened it (and started taking pictures to post in my AR build topic. lol) that they sent me the "Standard" stock rather than the Clubfoot. I sent them an email explaining the situation, and recieved a response by the next day (Saturday, even though they're closed) saying they'd send me the correct one (the box was mislabeled), but they are currently out (apparently, they had two on hand (one of which was the mislabeled one I got), and someone put in an order for the other one within minutes of my order), but expect to get their order from VLTOR within a week, and will ship the replacement to me as soon as they get it, along with a prepaid shipping label to send the other one back. Very friendly people (It's a self-proclaimed "Mom and Pop" shop), happy to offer advice, they also throw in an american flag "patriotic" religious tract in with the order, which surprised me. I'll definitely be going back to them next time I need more Tacticool stuff.

A day or two after the email where they said they'd be getting a shipment, the owner sent me an email saying "Rather than wait, I've got the exact stock you're looking for minus the small parts on a safe queen rifle, and I've been looking at replacing it. It's in near-new condition. If you'd like, I can send it to you free of charge, and let you keep the incorrect stock for the trouble." Naturally, I agreed, and got the correct stock within a couple days. THAT is what I call good customer service.
    Last edited by Scirion; 05-17-2010 at 05:25 AM.

Company Name: Brownell's
    City, State: Montezuma, Iowa
    Rating: Great customer service but poor attention to detail
    Transaction type: When it rains it pours! I had 3 problems in a single order.

1) Brownell's house-branded McFarland one piece gas ring was undersize. It measured 0.499" OD and resulted in a loose AR-15 bolt flopping around inside the bolt carrier. This is not the first time Brownells has been fingered for out-of-spec McFarland rings, but I ASS-umed they had the problem solved by now. Nope. They have failed to purge their out of spec inventory and are still pushing this crap on to the consumer. The bad rings are going back tomorrow with item #2.

2) A Daniel Defense 12.0 FSP Lite rail for AR-15. This is an aluminum free float forearm with a cutout for a carbine length front sight block, and a plate that fits behind a proprietary barrel nut to attach it. I got the right box, but the box had been opened and the wrong product was inside. Brownell's shipped me a Daniel Defense 12.0 M4 rail inside a 12.0 Lite FSP box.

3) Finally, I picked up a Yankee Hill Machine (YHM) barrel nut wrench for removing my stock barrel nut. One of the pins on the @#%! snapped off before I could even start applying torque. What a piece of crap. This is the first and last YHM product I'll ever buy.

Outcome: well, Brownell's has legendary customer service. I called them first about the busted YHM wrench and they agreed to reimburse me the cost of shipping and asked would I like a replacement, a refund or credit towards something else. I opted for credit towards a big forged one-piece Smith armorers wrench that hopefully does not suck

So then after getting home from the post office to ship back the POS wrench, I looked inside the Daniel Defense box and thought, "wait a minute.... that doesn't look right". So a 2nd phone call to Brownell's and they agreed to replace that with the proper item. Since DD rails aren't cheap, they asked me to ship it priority mail with a tracking number, so I'll be doing that tomorrow or the next day as soon as they can get a fresh RMA form out to me (I used the only form in mailing back the busted wrench).

At this point I was a little frustrated, but glad that claims of Brownell's legendary customer service was true. With no wrench to fiddle with, I decided to swap in that McFarland one-piece gas ring. Fucker was too small, just like eleventy other old reports on the m4carbine, arfcom, etc. So I called Brownells a THIRD time and told them that their McFarland gas ring was out of spec and that I'd be returning that as well. I plan to drop it in with the DD rail box when that goes out.

I keep going back to Brownell's because they have every part imaginable and their customer service is top notch..... but three problems in a single order begins to strain credibility.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads