Why does anyone wear body armor?
Close

This is a discussion on Why does anyone wear body armor? within the General Gun Talk forums, part of the Gun Forums category; The last thread about the 5.7 got me thinking Every time I read about a round they always talk about how it penetrates body armor. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The last thread about the 5.7 got me thinking

Every time I read about a round they always talk about how it penetrates body armor. The 5.7, the 7.62 family (25/34/54) the lowly 9mm.

It comes off that pretty much every round out there will make chowder out of body armor. All body armor seems to be pretty much useless against edged weapons
    So what's the point - why bother with the stuff?

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Blindeye_03's Avatar
    Im not sure you know what you are saying... There are different levels of armor - some of which will stop a 7.62x39 as seen in Iraq.

Do cops wear the same armor as military? The 5.7 round that civilians can buy isnt the armor penetrating round - its the one that military can buy (Im pretty sure if you really wanted it bad enough you could find a way to get it).

I Don't profess to know anything about body armor... Looking for some education here

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

There are different levels of body armor rated to stop different types of rounds. The vests the cops in my town have will stop a variety of handgun rounds.

Why wear body armor if its not able to stop a rifle round? Well its about the same as someone saying "Why carry a 32acp or a 380acp?" The answer is simple. Its better to have some protection than nothing at all. Unfortunately the top rated vests are rather expensive and can be rather restrictive.

The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

I tried on a friends ceramic plate body armor, holy shit.. weight is the #1 reason and bulk that cops dont wear that stuff. I guess swat would have armor similar to that but a patrol officer isnt going to have a huge heavy vest on.

I was gonna say...those ceramic plates can be heavy I'd imagine compared to soft body armor. At most contact distances, I can't see them being *very* helpful when you're generally getting the max ft lbs at you due to distance

I was watching military channel and there was a soldier that got shot in the back by a 7.62 of some kind and he went down, but got up to return fire to the guy shooting him .

Also my buddy got blown up (hes in one piece) but the shrapnel went through the front & back of his ceramic armor - it was before they gave marines side plates.

Marines wear body armor now? That is news to me.

the higher end (military) stuff can be quite nice and stop .308 (or 54R) levels of energy.

but as has been pointed out, those can be heavy (between 30 and 80 lbs iirc)

personally I wouldn't mind having a lightweight undershirt that could handle handgun rounds. I'd wear it daily, pretty much no matter where I lived/visted.

Quote Originally Posted by KingPerformance
    Marines wear body armor now? That is news to me.
    He served back in '05 IIRC and he did wear armor on his patrols in unarmored humvees (canvas doors) - thats when they hit the roadside bomb.

The guy I see at the WMA range here in Hawkinsville - he works for the Dept of Natural Resources - has lvl 3a body armor I think he said - its HUGE , he said he was scared of getting shot at by a hunter with high power rifles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads