Why is Attorney General Eric Holder backing away from an assault weapons ban?
Close

This is a discussion on Why is Attorney General Eric Holder backing away from an assault weapons ban? within the General Gun Talk forums, part of the Gun Forums category; As featured at Newsweek: By Michael Isikoff and Mark Hosenball | Newsweek Web Exclusive Mar 25, 2009 TERROR WATCH A Self-Inflicted Gun Wound Why is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Janq's Avatar

As featured at Newsweek:

By Michael Isikoff and Mark Hosenball | Newsweek Web Exclusive
    Mar 25, 2009

TERROR WATCH
    A Self-Inflicted Gun Wound

After fierce resistance from the gun lobby and its allies in Congress, Attorney General Eric Holder has dialed back talk about reimposing a federal assault weapons ban to help curb the spiraling violence in Mexico.

As much as 90 percent of the assault weapons and other guns used by Mexican drug cartels are coming from the United States, fueling drug-related violence that is believed to have killed more than 7,000 people since January 2008, according to estimates by Mexican and U.S. law enforcement officials. But the political obstacles to addressing the U.S.-to-Mexico weapons flow are dramatically underscored by Holder's experience in just the last few weeks.

Speaking at a Feb. 25 news conference announcing a roundup of Mexican cartel members in the United States, Holder endorsed reinstituting the ban on assault weapons—a position that President Obama himself supported during last year's campaign. A federal ban on high-powered, semi-automatic assault weapons, originally passed by Congress in 1994, expired five years ago.

"There are just a few gun-related changes that we would like to make, and among them would be to reinstitute the ban on the sale of assault weapons," Holder said in response to a question from a Mexican reporter. "I think that will have a positive impact in Mexico at a minimum." Holder then ducked a follow-up question about whether he expected Congress to act on a renewed ban this year, saying, "I'm not sure exactly what the sequencing will be" on legislative issues that the Obama administration presses on Capitol Hill.

But his comments roused the gun lobby. The National Rifle Association quickly sent out "action alerts" to its members. Sixty-five House Democrats signed a letter saying they would oppose any new ban—as did Montana's two Democratic senators, Max Baucus and Jon Tester. "Senators to Attorney General Holder: Stay Away From Our Guns," read a press release sent out by Baucus's office. In addition, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid both shot down the idea that Congress would take up any new assault weapons ban this year.

When Holder was asked about the assault weapons issue again at another press conference on March 25, he steered away from even mentioning a new weapons ban. "Well, I mean, I think what we're going to do is try to, obviously, enforce the laws that we have on the books," Holder said, adding that he planned to discuss the flow of illegal arms with "our Mexican counterparts" during an upcoming trip to Mexico.

Holder's about-face was no accident. White House officials instructed the attorney general to tone down any further talk about assault weapons in order not to complicate the president's legislative agenda on Capitol Hill, according to administration and congressional sources who, like others quoted in this story, asked not to be named talking about internal deliberations. (An assault weapons ban was also conspicuously off the table when the Obama administraton unveiled new proposals to combat Mexican cartel violence.) "We've been told to lay low," a Democratic congressional aide said he was told when he raised the issue of a new assault weapons ban with a Justice Department official.

A senior Justice Department official said that Holder was trying to signal that he wasn't expecting immediate congressional action when he sidestepped the question about timing at the original Feb. 25 news conference. But the NRA was only too happy to take credit for the attorney general's new tone.

After Holder made his first comments about a ban, the NRA started "getting out the word—this is going to be a battle, they're coming," said Wayne LaPierre, executive vice president and CEO of the NRA. As a result, LaPierre said, the attorney general "ran into a stonewall on Capitol Hill." It's no secret, moreover, that much of the opposition came from Democrats, including the party's leadership. During the early 1990s, congressional Democratic leaders aggressively pushed gun-control legislation—and suffered crushing setbacks in the polls starting with the 1994 Republican takeover of Congress. "They've learned the history of what happened the last time," said LaPierre.

But that does leave an awkward situation for Holder and the White House. The attorney general flies to Mexico City on April 1 to talk about steps the United States can take to deal with cartel violence—and the Mexicans are adamant about reimposing a weapons ban. Meanwhile, the White House still lists a new assault weapons ban as one of the president's official positions on its Web site (scroll down to the "Urban Policy" section).

Given that Obama rarely talked about assault weapons during the campaign and has said not a word about the subject since becoming president, should it still be there? "There has been no change in position—the president supports the 2nd amendment, he respects the tradition of gun ownership in this country, and he believes that we can take common sense steps to keep our streets safe," said White House spokesman Ben LaBolt.

This clearly biased feature can be found at; http://www.newsweek.com/id/191037/page/1

- Edward R. Murrow

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) MrMcCrackin's Avatar
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

me thinks its just preparing a sneak attack on the R2BA after the econ is back up and running

Its going to come, yes. A matter of time , it will be. It won't be this year.

I'm sort of sick of the misconceptions of the AWB. It didn't make them illegal as nearly everyone reports. If its not guns, its going to be bombings. One is possibly less fatal then the other. But hey, its not my country so I don't particularly care.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Nose Nuggets's Avatar
    why even bother with a AW ban when rudicing the amount of ammo available by a huge percent almost achives the same thing. without congressional approval.

but the statement, "As much as 90 percent of the assault weapons and other guns used by Mexican drug cartels are coming from the United States" is absurd. your telling me Mexican drug cartels are buying semi auto rifles and smuggling them across the border instead of just buying actual assault rifles from the corrupt Mexican military? whiskey tango foxtrot?

or smuggling them in from the war torn counties in central and southern American. I am sure there are still lots and lots and lots of FALs, AKs, and M16's kicking around down there for sale.

The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

Hell, watch the news of the combat there. Whats that sound? Automatic weapons fire comeing from both sides?! How can this be?

There getting them from other places, I know those pictures of 3 PKM's, 50 or more hand grenades and other 40mm HE grenades did not come from a gunshow.. If so... Please tell me where and when they have this show again.

Its obvious they're getting the stuff in the gunshow loophole.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) mwink822's Avatar
    The new ban is coming, it may not be this year, and hell, it may not be next year, but it is coming. As far as the connections to violence in Mexico, that can be curtailed by enforcement of the laws already on the books. A new ban is not going to rectify that flow of guns from the United States into Mexico or vice versa. Just another fine example of stupid people being put in charge and being stupid subsequent thereto.

Quote Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets
    your telling me Mexican drug cartels are buying semi auto rifles and smuggling them across the border instead of just buying actual assault rifles from the corrupt Mexican military? whiskey tango foxtrot?
    Ding ding ding we have a winner!

Let's see, a narcotraficante could set up straw purchases in the US and then smuggle guns back into Mexico, or, they could appropriate some actual military hardware from collaborators within the Mexican police and military.

Here's a picture of drug weapons siezed by the Policía Federal Preventiva:

If this shit came from the US, I want to know which gunshow or shop it was. Then I want to know why Fatcat isn't shopping there!

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Nose Nuggets's Avatar
    oh yeah, i see LAW's, grenades, and passports at all the local gun shops.

good addition about the police, i forgot their police are almost as well armed as the Military and twice as corrupt.

/3K posts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads