Gun concealment legalities
Close

This is a discussion on Gun concealment legalities within the General Gun Talk forums, part of the Gun Forums category; While traveling with my gun in the car, I understand that I have to keep it 'in plain view,' such as on the passenger seat. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

While traveling with my gun in the car, I understand that I have to keep it 'in plain view,' such as on the passenger seat. If I were to leave the car for any period of time, would I be allowed to hide the gun in the car to deter theft?

I understand that laws vary state to state, so someone familiar with AZ law would prolly be best to answer this. *I know AZ is a Right to Carry state and that I could just get my CCW, but my question still stands.

Wanted to post an update. I spoke with some local LEOs and they said it is fine to conceal a weapon in a car if no one is in the car. I am unsure if it has to be unloaded though.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Blindeye_03's Avatar
    Wouldnt leaving it on the seat be "brandishing"?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

Not in AZ. We can even walk around with at my side as long as it is in plain view. While not that common, it doesn't surprise me when I walk into a grocery store and see a guy with a sidearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Shemoves
    Wanted to post an update. I spoke with some local LEOs and they said it is fine to conceal a weapon in a car if no one is in the car. I am unsure if it has to be unloaded though.

I recall reading somewhere that AZ considers your car an extension of your home. It's probably legal to have a loaded concealed weapon in your home, same for your car.

Obviously you'd want to double check that with the authorities.

I did ask some LEOs, without my CCW, it has to be in plain view if I am in the car.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Janq's Avatar
    I would not take a local LEO/patrolman/beat cops word toward anything.
    as based on my experiences in doing same I've come to discover, again in my own cases, that they are not good sources toward useful legal information.

For example I went to a local college campus police dept. to seek out the best method toward requesting approval to carry concealed on campus, as per state law requirement. I spoke with the second in charge who is a lieutenant.
    You know what he told me to do?!
    Ehh don't worry about it. Just store your gun in the glove compartment, that's what I do....and then it's there if you might need it.

:huh:

That is illegal by state law on multiple fronts _and_ if I got dinged for as much I'd stand to lose my LTC for life, I'd be adjudicated as a felon which toward a gun crime in MA is an automatic two year stay in the House of Corrections mandatory, and I'd be breaking the rules of the university too.
    Oh but Officer Alexander Dumas had told me it would be okay and everything like that...
    Uh huh, tell it to your attorney.

Seek out the letter of your local and state laws.
    Or better yet ask an attorney or even call up your local District Attorneys office and ask to speak to the DA if not an aid.
    Who better to tell you than the people who will try you if you fuck up and do the wrong thing.
    In every gunfu class I've ever taken they have been taught by cops (usually detectives and better) who all have been former patrolman and they all have stated in class at one point or another do not listen to a beat cop in so far as gun law advisories. They likely know less than you beyond the common sensical basics of gun laws, which aren't always so common sensical such as is the case here in MA or even VA where I was prior.

Keep in mind in many states you make a gun handling mistake even just once and you are done forever, lifetime.
    Having a gun charge muchless felony on your record sucks.
    Serious business.

$0.02 street

- Janq

Quote Originally Posted by Janq
    $5.00 Shemoves
    - Janq
    ficksd. Seriously though, thanks. That is actually really good to know, cause I pretty much did put my full trust in what they said, and would have continued doing so. I am gonna search to see if the AZ gun laws are written online, but happen to know a good (reliable) site in case I can't find anything?

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Janq's Avatar
    The following would be where I'd start.
    First going to my state government for state wide info and double checking for clarity at the NRA-ILA site...

* "Where can I carry a weapon?"
    http://www.azdps.gov/ccw/procedures/carry.asp

* "Concealed Weapons Permit Unit Information Center"
    http://www.azdps.gov/ccw/default.asp

* http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws

I would also go to the city/town website where ever I happen to be and/or be driving through/to under normal circumstantial occasion and check those city/town govt. websites too for specific ordinances which may be displayed at the local if not state PD websites.

Yes it's some work and reading and leg work.
    But wouldn't you rather invest the time now today while you are a free person free to do so, rather than paying an attorney $1000 per hour to do same toward your defense or siting in detention using a community computer to do same toward hoping to find some loophole to help explain your case regain at a minimum your freedom to move around within the general population outside of barred walls?

Alot of folks I see on gunfu boards do not think like this nor think things out and the results of such laziness, ignorance, and/or assumptive reasoning/logic toward what they think the law is or should be results in them being featured in the news and being arraigned by a DA toward gun crimes or worst.

- Janq

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." - Ben Franklin

Exclamation

and a friend of mine if going to court latter this month for having a chamberd round while on his quad, he was in hunting mode.
    not hunting while on said quad just moving to another spot a couple hundred feet away. (not very easy to ride on a very rough rd and try to shoot)
    not good to get too far away from something that cost a about 4 grand.
    (and is only two years old.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads