Combat Accuracy vs Target Shooting
Close

This is a discussion on Combat Accuracy vs Target Shooting within the General Gun Talk forums, part of the Gun Forums category; What are everybody’s thoughts on combat accuracy vs target shooting. What level accuracy versus speed of shooting is acceptable in a self defense scenario? [URL][https://youtu.be/5Dbj9VypyP4/URL] ...

What are everybody’s thoughts on combat accuracy vs target shooting. What level accuracy versus speed of shooting is acceptable in a self defense scenario? [URL][https://youtu.be/5Dbj9VypyP4/URL]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sarge, I stopped shooting postal pistol matches more than 25 years ago; and, know what, I've never looked back. My usual practice targets are either standard IDPA silhouettes or 9 inch paper plates. It's also been my experience that you need to do an absolute minimum of 500 fired rounds each month in order to 'keep your edge'. Nice 'n tight groups, fired just as fast as you can! Here's what I'm talking about:

Rapid Fire, Pistol @ 7.5 Yards.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Depends on the target, either competition or belligerent. Also depends on either handgun or rifle.

Bullseye NRA 2700 requires a handgun to manifest at least eight minutes of angle and near perfect reliability. I was never a major contender, but better than the average shooter. I carried a sidearm for a living. My own standard was the pistol had to group on a human head at fifty yards. My standard for myself was no matter how I felt or the conditions, I had to hit on a human torso, always, always. always. And the sidearm would never fail.

I shot NRA National Match High Power rifle. All targets (200, 300 and 600 yards) were six minutes of angle. As a Marine Rifleman, the desired area was about the same as an IPSC, USPSA or ABCDE target, normally out to around three hundred yards.

Obviously, more is better, but not to the point where the arm gets unreliable.

Metallic Silhouette is a bit tighter than High Power.

Too many details to keep track for a generic answer.

Remove Ads

Ads