Bought a new old gun today
Close

This is a discussion on Bought a new old gun today within the Curios and Relics forums, part of the Gun Forums category; My mom told me someone on her block was selling guns at his garage sale today so on my lunch break I went over there ...

My mom told me someone on her block was selling guns at his garage sale today so on my lunch break I went over there and came home with a Remington Model 8 rifle in 35 Remington for 200 bucks. I dont think I did too bad on it. He had a Gewehr 88 Commission Rifle from 1891 that I would have bought, but some bubba had chopped the original stock down and fitted a ugly ass recoil pad on it.

He also had a Savage 99 in 22 Hi Power, a couple Hopkins and Allen 32 S&W wheel guns, and a Remington 11-48 410 Autoloader.

The wife has my camera so pics will follow.

The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Nose Nuggets's Avatar
    Sweet!

completely unrelated, what's the phonetic for Gewehr?

Guh-Vehr is how its pronounced. The W in German is pronounced like a V.

I am considering trying to buy that one cheap from him. Its been converted to .323 8mm Mauser from the original .318 bore and is converted to an internal mag instead of the mannlicher clip system. Had some turk marks on the bolt as well so it most likely saw action in the Great War. It needs only a new donor stock and a buttplate to get it back to original

The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Nose Nuggets's Avatar
    Volkswagen = WoltsVagen?

too bad the one that guy has is chopped up. why in gods name would you alter something that old?

/likes the Gewehr 43 in COD!

Congrats Robbie! Man, selling guns at a garage sale sounds sooooo alien to me!

You guys are so lucky to have those type of freedoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets
    Volkswagen = WoltsVagen?

too bad the one that guy has is chopped up. why in gods name would you alter something that old?

/likes the Gewehr 43 in COD!

Volkswagen = Folks-Vagen. The V is pronounced more like an F

Yeah its nice to still like in America where a guy can do that. I reccomended that he require a permit to carry or a permit to buy pistols to verify that they are legal to buy a gun and keep his ass in the clear.

He sold the Savage 99 for 200 bucks.

Here she is. Not the pretties sample I have seen but for the cash I got a very fair deal. The wood is in great shape with only a few dings and one minor scrape. The bluing is 80 percent with some patina.

I plan on stripping the wood down and giving her a good cleaning and steaming to get the dents out followed by some tung oil.

I was digging around and apparently the peep rear tang sight is hard to come by and worth about 150 bucks in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by brucelee
    Congrats Robbie! Man, selling guns at a garage sale sounds sooooo alien to me!

You guys are so lucky to have those type of freedoms.
    Wow... I knew California had some strict rules, but I didn't realize they had banned face to face (FTF) sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Adler View Post
    I was digging around and apparently the peep rear tang sight is hard to come by and worth about 150 bucks in good shape.
    That Savage 99 is going for around $600 or so around here in Nebraska. Get the peep tang for it.

And I've wanted a Remington Model 8 in .35 Remington for many, many winters...

Remove Ads

Ads