Newbie:How Much Can The Handgun Show When Conceal Carrying? What type Holster To Use?
Close

Newbie:How Much Can The Handgun Show When Conceal Carrying? What type Holster To Use?

This is a discussion on Newbie:How Much Can The Handgun Show When Conceal Carrying? What type Holster To Use? within the CCW Conceal Carry forums, part of the Gun Forums category; The following is a posting from DefensiveCarry.com that I am going to carry over here because frankly this question comes up far too often to ...

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Janq's Avatar

The following is a posting from DefensiveCarry.com that I am going to carry over here because frankly this question comes up far too often to go unaddressed.

---
    How Much Can The Handgun Show When Conceal Carrying?
    What type Holster To Use?

Going to be taking my first CCW class in a couple weeks. Been looking at all the different kind of holsters that are available. Will be carrying a four inch 1911.

First question how much of the weapon is allowed to be seen.......seems it would be hard not to at least have the outline of the grip showing through the shirt (I wear a lot of t-shirts during the summer months).
    How does one go about keeping the outline of the grip showing through the shirt?
    I guess I understand using a inside the belt holster vs a outside the belt......seems that a outside the belt would be very hard to hide.

And on all the different types and designs of CC holsters.......seem to have a lot of "terms" related to all the different types & styles of holsters.....is there a web site somewhere that explains all those terms?
    Also of all the different styles & types what are the advantages & disadvantages to each type?
    In some the weapon seems to sit very high and other it seems to sit low....In some you can see very clearly the outline of the weapon (like the holster is custom formed to the weapon)...seems like with that type it would be harder to "pull".....sorry for all the questions but just trying to make an educated choice on a holster........don't have a lot of money to spend so do not want to have to buy something that will not work well for a four inch 1911 type pistol and have to purchase a different type later. Any help would be appreciated.

A "newbie" in Michigan

Source - http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...36#post1861336
    I will post my response to this as below.

"Concealed" means 'Concealed'.

I liken it to this...

When you are at the pool or beach generally your male sexual organs are concealed.
    Some people wear board shorts, others wear pants while a few wear Speedos.

Everybody has them, everybody knows what they are and everybody knows what they look like a actual and in silhouette.
    It ain't 1950 anymore where folks don't have the first clue toward what and what not.

Then there is always that guy...Either the old guy in Speedos and he really shouldn't be doing that, pieces and parts on display.
    Yes he's got some degree of fabric on as 'cover' but still you can plainly see his hammer or grip.

As well there is always that younger couple who trys to play it off beneath blankets or behind a big umbrella.
    Everybody knows what's under/behind there but nobody wants to report them because well as long as we pretend to not see anything overt then we can pretend we didn't notice anything at all.

Also there is some times at the pool that one young teen having a bad day.
    he gets out of the pool and his board shorts being made of thin nylon AND because that cute girl was n the pool with him talking earlier he comes out looking like he just stole meat from Arnolds deli.
    Every male on this board knows about this condition. Don't for a minute think that just because it's covered that nobody knows what that outline is, and what yer packin'.

So as related to 'concealed carry' and handguns; Use your noodle.

Regardless of what the rules of a given beach or pool might be and whether the folk around you are friends (pro-gun), family, foes (anti-gun) or undecided/uncaring fence riders (females of interest and non-interest, to you)...The bottom line remains same.
    Concealed means concealed; And that means out of sight means out of mind.

Depending on the size of your piece; Length, width and thickness, the degree and measures you may have to go to conceal it so as to be out of sight (and thus out of public mind) will and does vary.
    Along with this comes varying degrees toward ease of access for real world use.

Some swim trunks come with a fly that is zippered. Others with velcro closure, snaps, and buttons too.
    Then there are those that have no quick access flay and require an off-handed pull down method which may or may not be quicker/slower and easier/harder than other options of cover & concealment.

So do your homework, think things through with seriousness and what ever you do dress appropriately to both the ocassion/location as well as to your own gun as worn.
    Not everybody everywhere can get away with muchless be functional in Speedo type trunks. Other times wearing board shorts simply makes no sense at all.

Use your noodle and your BEST JUDGEMENT, and last but not least quite simply don't be 'that guy'.
    And if you are or do happen to be caught as that guy...Don't be further jerk by turning things on to the person calling you out.
    Just apologize calmly and kindly beg their pardon and then leave the location to go elsewhere to either adjust your junk or to get hold of something more appropriate as cover.

Five men on Midgee Beach - Brisbane, Australia (1945)

Image source - http://mclure1c.blogspot.com/2007/09...-brisbane.html
    Who's packin...And who is not?
    "Concealed" means 'concealed'. It's simple and plain.

Welcome to the forum!

- Janq concealed carrys as EDC, including to the beach in shorts w/tanktop, a 5" SA 1911 among other barrel lengths and places

P.S.
    You will see me in specific as well as very many of us here quite often suggest that you use your 'Best Judgement' toward a great many and wide variety of items.
    Without regard to what laws and regs. are, people should and mostly do know how to act right.
    There shouldn't have to be laws and regs., with attorneys on retainer, to in greatly detailed specifics tell a person to not act like a moron/jerk or criminal.
    We're adult people and as such among the general public we should simply act like we know....Better.

+1 to the above. Another important thing to express is that there is no "X holster + Y gun == perfect concealment". There's a whole mountain of combinations, just as there's a whole mountain of different human physical compositions.

It takes trial and error to find what works best for YOU. Bottom line.

I bought into the Raven Concealment System platform. In stock form, it didn't work, and took various trial and error cycles with belt loops and "tuck" J-hooks before I found what worked and would pass my requirements.

I think its also key to ask for another pair of eyes. What pops out to my eyes obviously, didn't to my g/f at the time. I even told her where to look and what to look for, and once she wasn't able to notice, that was my final "quality assurance" step.

Just my $.02

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

+1 toward all of the above! ^^

- Janq

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) mwink822's Avatar
    Something else that is oft overlooked, almost to the degree of being scary is that a proper gun belt is 100% required for proper concealment. A good gun belt will support the weight of the gun in whatever holster you carry as well as any other ancillary doodads you may carry on you as well (spare magazine(s), flashlight, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by mwink822
    Something else that is oft overlooked, almost to the degree of being scary is that a proper gun belt is 100% required for proper concealment.
    +1000

A proper belt is stiff enough to support the gun. As a bonus, decent gun belts last MUCH longer than your typical crappy leather dress belt.

Don't shop for belts at K-Mart. Ever.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) mwink822's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mattxander12
    +1 to the above. Another important thing to express is that there is no "X holster + Y gun == perfect concealment". There's a whole mountain of combinations, just as there's a whole mountain of different human physical compositions.

It takes trial and error to find what works best for YOU. Bottom line.

I bought into the Raven Concealment System platform. In stock form, it didn't work, and took various trial and error cycles with belt loops and "tuck" J-hooks before I found what worked and would pass my requirements.

I think its also key to ask for another pair of eyes. What pops out to my eyes obviously, didn't to my g/f at the time. I even told her where to look and what to look for, and once she wasn't able to notice, that was my final "quality assurance" step.

Just my $.02
    +1 to this. As far as getting another pair of eyes on, that's a good practice. My g/f has resorted to the "hug/pat" approach to determine whether I am carrying at a given time. That indicates to me that I'm doing a pretty damn good job of staying properly concealed.

Remove Ads

Ads