Police: Gun-carrying couple stops beating [@McDonalds] (OH)
Close

This is a discussion on Police: Gun-carrying couple stops beating [@McDonalds] (OH) within the CCW Conceal Carry forums, part of the Gun Forums category; Preface: Read this story in full _before_ making a judgment as based only on the headline or the first sentence. After doing so those of ...

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Janq's Avatar

Preface:
    Read this story in full _before_ making a judgment as based only on the headline or the first sentence.

After doing so those of you who do carry to any degree (frequency being of no concern here), ask yourself what might you have thought to do?
    Based only on the information you have here. Do not add in additional stuff. Just what is reported here as having been seen by the two that interceded.

I know what I would have done but will reserve statement for later.
    The reason I do this as an exercise is to get folk to think as related to real world this does and therefor could happen to you conditions.

This couple had no idea when they woke up that morning that they were going to become witness to as much that day as they stopped at a random time at a random location to run into random people involved in a random occurring crime.
    Assault is generally a misdemeanor while domestic violence though is now days in many states an automatic felony assault charge type crime.

Give this some thought, now while you have the opportunity without in your face right now OMG what should I do pressure being applied.
    How you think to answer/respond here may affect not just the life and well being of the 'victim', but also that of the children, yourself, your partner (husband/wife) AND that of the aggressor too.

~~~
    Posted: 09/21/2010
    Last Updated: 15 hours and 43 minutes ago

* Cristin Severence, ONN

WADSWORTH, Ohio - Wadsworth police say a gun-carrying couple helped them catch a man who was allegedly beating his girlfriend in a parking lot in front of her two small children.

Officers said the couple pulled into the Wadsworth McDonald's on High Street Sunday and saw a man hitting a woman in another vehicle.

Police said the couple, who each have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, called 911 then pulled out their guns and ordered the man to the ground.

"My husband and I both have CCW licenses and we were in fear of her life, and we drew our weapons on him," Heather Evans told the 911 dispatcher.

Police said the man, 18-year-old Anthony Konopinski, then ran off. A third witness then ran after Konopinski, calling police to tell them where they were headed.

The suspect was caught a half a mile away. Police said they had to use a taser to subdue Konopinski.

Konopinski is now facing domestic violence, child endangerment, resisting arrest and drug paraphernalia charges.

Source - http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/loc...-stops-beating

Abuse at McDonalds

katrina wood

* Medina County Buzz Examiner
    * September 21st, 2010 9:45 am ET

Anthony Konopinski, 18 of Wadsworth was seen abusing his girlfriend at a McDonalds parking lot. Two people a man and woman were parked next to the young couple and witnessed Konopinski slamming his girlfriend with his elbow and body back into the seat. The attack was done in front of the victims two children,2 years-old and an infant were in the backseat. The two witness called the police but he ran on foot while a third person tried to catch him. Police caught up with Konopinksi on Reimer Road, where they reportedly had to use a taser on Konopinski. Police searched him ,finding a marijuana pipe and rolling papers. The victim told police they had been fighting all day. While at Walmart she wanted her boyfriend to get out of the car but refused and punched her in the side and stepped on the gas pedal ,almost slamming into parked cars. Konopinski has been charged with domestic violence, two counts of child endangerment, resisting arrest and two counts of possession of drug paraphernalia. Tragically the victim refused to press charges. Konopinski is free on bond at the current time.

Source - http://www.examiner.com/buzz-in-clev...e-at-mcdonalds
    - Janq
    Last edited by Janq; 09-22-2010 at 12:58 PM.

Well here's my take: The couple witnessed what appeared to be a deadly assault in progress. They called 911 and drew down on the subject while commanding him to the ground. Subject broke off the assault and fled on foot, and the couple who had drawn weapons (sidearms, firerarms, whatev) did not give chase. A 3rd party (armed? unarmed? not sure) did give chase on foot while I presume the armed couple attended to the battered woman and her children while remaining on the line with the 911 dispatcher.

So good for them. Two good Samaritans intervened responsibly and stopped a crime in progress, and then wisely chose to stick with the victim rather than to chase the perp after the assault was stopped.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) MrMcCrackin's Avatar
    i dont know the law in OH, but in AZ this was justified and i if were to witness such an event and also felt that the female's life was in danger.

would i have confronted the attacker - yes

however - i dont know if i would have drawn my weapon without the intent to use it, since he according to the article was unarmed

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

I wouldn't shoot to stop a fistfight outside a bar. A serious beatdown where the victim's in great danger... well, escalation to deadly force can be appropriate. Check your local laws: arson in progress, kidnapping, and such may also be acceptable shoot-to-stop situations. That doesn't mean you'll get off, though.

These kind of scenarios are just the kind of reason why taking a MAG-20 style class is money well spent. Don't just learn how to shoot. Learn when to shoot (and when not to).

This is a toughie for me. Based strictly on the text, however, I will side with the GG's. If they thought she was in danger for her life, then yes. If they were just pissed off that a woman was getting beat, then no.

If two dudes were fighting , I would take no part in breaking it up, call authorities if I thought serious damage was going to happen, etc. But when there is a woman involved, I would for sure say something to the dude and intervene. If he was throwin 'bows to her face...you can kill someone and that nets an armed response IMO.

But again, going based strictly on the text...GG's felt justified in drawing in concern for said woman's life...then that's a good draw in my book.

good for them! its nice to see couples trying new ways to grow a stronger bond.

one thing i like to encorperate into EVERY draw stroke i take is the "get off the X" mentality. if you are presented with a situation in which you need to deploy your weapon EC0-350 dump , the first thing you should be doing as you pull your weapon is seeking cover. if all you do is train train train your drawstroke in a firing line booth or in the kicthen, and all you do is draw and aim; well guess what you are going to do when you actually deploy. draw, aim, and stand there like a moron. to break that habbit i just take a step on draw. dosent have to be much. if i am at the range, i will stand with my left side close to the left wall, draw, and take a step to the right.

Remove Ads

Ads