How do you holster your magazines?
Close

This is a discussion on How do you holster your magazines? within the CCW Conceal Carry forums, part of the Gun Forums category; If you're carrying, how do you holster your spare magazines? Do you carry them in a vertical position? Do you angle them? Do you carry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

If you're carrying, how do you holster your spare magazines?

Do you carry them in a vertical position? Do you angle them? Do you carry them horizontally? Where do you carry them? In the left/right/back/front of your body?

I carry spare mags on my left side towards the front in front of my hip. I holster the pouches horizontally so that I can bend over and grab them if I'm bent over which is impossible if you have them vertically and in the front. My mags are secured with a top strap so they don't fall out. I used to carry them vertically until my shooting instructor at the police academy showed me the flaw in carrying them vertically... When you have them positioned horizontally you can move easier, like when you're hunched over you can still grab your magazines where you couldn't as easily if they were vertical because they jam into you.

What do you guys do? How do you carry?

D-
    When in doubt, ask Adler.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Blindeye_03's Avatar
    upside down in my pocket next to my wallet (left front pocket)

Just in your pocket? What if you really need them and are in an awkward position like hunched over and kneeling? By having them holstered horizontally you can access them no matter what position you are in. I admit that I have kept mags in my pocket when I haven't had my holster on me.

Since I'm in CA I can't carry like some of you do in other states... The only time I carry is when I'm in the national (federal law) forests here or in Nevada when I go on shooting/camping trips. Lots of bears out there and I'm paranoid as hell. I don't carry anything smaller than .45ACP in bear country, and I'm always sure to have more than 10 rounds in the mag also, lol... An angry bear will just deflect 9mm so I'll stick with the hot .45 rounds.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

Just behind the seam on my left hip, easy to get to in any stance, and that's where I practice from. DOUBLE MAGAZINE PADDLE POUCH

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) mwink822's Avatar
    I carry my spares in just in front of my left hip angled toward my left hand. I find that to be a pretty good position for me, thought I have thought of carrying horizontally but have never tried it.

^^^

I was the same until I actually tried it out for a whole day and now I don't carry them any other way. I hate bending over and having that uncomfortable feel from vertical magazines... My mag holster has velcro straps that secure them into the holster so that they don't fall out, so make sure they are secure before you do this!

Also, what brand/type of holsters do you guys use for your magazines? I was thinking of buying a new one for my Glock mags. Right now I have some generic no-name holster that I got for free from a friend... it works but it's not the greatest of quality and just feels cheap. I don't carry every day so I didn't care at first but it's starting to fall apart, like the seams are coming undone and such so I want to buy a new one that is high quality, especially since I just got hired at Adobe which means I can buy guns and gun related stuff again! YAY!

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) mwink822's Avatar
    I run either a Blackhawk CQC injection molded open top mag pouch that slides over the belt via a J-hook. I like these because they're lightweight and they are easy on/easy off while I'm at work (I need quick on/off when traveling to court, prison or to gov't office buildings). My alternative is my WIlson Combat double mag pouch for 1911 mags. This is worn vertically at the 9:00 position, but is becoming a mag pouch I like less and less because it can be slightly uncomfortable my belt has to be threaded through the belt loops on the mag carrier. In short it's a pain in the ass to get onn and off. VERY good quality piece of gear though, the newer version of this, however does have a snap attachment instead of just the belt loops...I may have to get one of those.

front left pocket, bullets facing ass-ward. Ease of comfort and carry for me, plus I train with it like that and have not had a issue getting it out (no other things go in that pocket), even while moving.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Blindeye_03's Avatar
    Yep my pocket... I have my pistol on my hip. My pockets are deep and I can grip that baseplate very well - they all have pinky extensions on them.

Oh and I just ordered a 17 round m&p9 full size mag with the x-grip. Once I make sure it feeds great that will be my pocket magazine.

Weak side, upside down, bullets pointing forward. Sometimes they go in a dedicated mag carrier, sometimes just in a pocket. I may have even used the tacticool magazine pocket in my 5.11 pants for its intended purpose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads