How do you holster your magazines? - Page 2
Close

How do you holster your magazines?

This is a discussion on How do you holster your magazines? within the CCW Conceal Carry forums, part of the Gun Forums category; Originally Posted by kartoffel Weak side, upside down, bullets pointing forward. Sometimes they go in a dedicated mag carrier, sometimes just in a pocket. I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) mwink822's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kartoffel
    Weak side, upside down, bullets pointing forward. Sometimes they go in a dedicated mag carrier, sometimes just in a pocket. I may have even used the tacticool magazine pocket in my 5.11 pants for its intended purpose.
    Any particular reason upside down, it seems to me that this would be slightly cumbersome.

Because that is the fastest, least cumbersome way to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aspKTH1BYg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmNjcubxfQA
    etc.

You grab the magazine with your weak side hand, fingers pointing down. As your hand moves up to the gun, your fingers naturally point up. The magazine is now oriented to go right into the pistol, and you never had to let go of it or shift your grip. Carrying magazines any way other than baseplate up & bullets forward, makes reloading more cumbersome.

1) Grab the magazine.

2) Bring it up. No fumbling with the magazine. No wasted movement.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) mwink822's Avatar
    Oh, shit, I misunderstood, I thought you were implying carrying the spare base plate down, bullets up and forward. My mags are carried base plate up bullets forward as well...this is why I need visual aids.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

Oh, gotcha. I mean upside relative to how they go in the gun.

speed swaps of mags are the bunk. If you have missed your enemies that many times, what makes you think that missing some more is going to help? I favor a pocket 9mm, in a front pants pocket So I just carry the spare mag in an ankle pouch. It's only with me so that I have one in case the primary one splits apart or gets screwed up in some way. I trained at 1911 work and mag swaps for hundreds of hours, but it's just fantasy, man. simply carrying in a pocket is asking to have lint and other debris causing you problems. Not many people clean or examine their mags nearly often enough, by the way. I almost never practice with the "carry" mags. I keep "practice spares" for the range work. I don't want my life riding on mags that get slammed into the gun, fall out, might get dented, etc.
    Last edited by blastit; 06-09-2013 at 08:51 PM.

I'm glad to see this thread. I've been thinking about buying a double mag holster lately. I used to think I really didn't need more than 13 rounds of 40 S&W because I'm a pretty good shot (in my humble opinion). Now, I have reconsidered my position. I will be following this thread to get some experienced opinions. I don't want to carry spare mags in my pocket because of the lint thing. I also don't want to spend a small fortune for a small piece of leather or nylon.

Quote Originally Posted by brucelee View Post
    If you're carrying, how do you holster your spare magazines?

Do you carry them in a vertical position? Do you angle them? Do you carry them horizontally? Where do you carry them? In the left/right/back/front of your body?

I carry spare mags on my left side towards the front in front of my hip. I holster the pouches horizontally so that I can bend over and grab them if I'm bent over which is impossible if you have them vertically and in the front. My mags are secured with a top strap so they don't fall out.

I used to carry them vertically until my shooting instructor at the police academy showed me the flaw in carrying them vertically... When you have them positioned horizontally you can move easier, like when you're hunched over you can still grab your magazines where you couldn't as easily if they were vertical because they jam into you.

What do you guys do? How do you carry?
    Yes, I'll typically carry only one extra magazine. It's an Arredondo type with an extended base plate and an oversized 'X-tra power' Wolff gun spring. (Arredondo sells a special Wolff spring for their mag extensions.)

I wear this spare magazine just behind the point of my support-side hip; and I carry this extra magazine with the bullets facing to the rear, and the back of the magazine facing forward on my belt.

In more than 25 years of shooting all different sorts of IDPA style competitions I've never, not even once, had any sort of difficulty reaching for or recharging my pistol with a vertically carried magazine. (During a match I might have as many as four of them mounted on my belt.)

When I'm 'working' neither do I look directly at a magazine while it's being inserted into the mag well. Amateurs and gunmen who rely too heavily upon their conscious minds in order to reload are prone to break their concentration and distract themselves like that.

A well practiced pistolero will keep his gun up, his eyes on the target, and will not completely turn his gaze away. If anything a fast moving professional gunman will use only his indirect peripheral vision to guide his hands and an extra magazine while he's reloading. His primary focus remains on the target.

My spare magazine carriers are all made by Blade-Tech, and are fitted with quick release Tek-Lok clasps. In the early days I used to always carry two magazines on my belt; but, over time, this has proven to be superfluous—even for certain gun club matches.

Blade-Tech W: Arredondo Extension.jpg

G-21-1 Tek-Lok, With Arredondo.jpg
    Last edited by Lone Gunman; 09-09-2018 at 06:26 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads