Expert gives tips on how to protect yourself [With bug spray!?]
Close

This is a discussion on Expert gives tips on how to protect yourself [With bug spray!?] within the CCW Conceal Carry forums, part of the Gun Forums category; Preface: Earlier in the week in a threat at DefensiveCarry.com someone asked about what could be used for his wifes street defense as living in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Janq's Avatar

Preface:

Earlier in the week in a threat at DefensiveCarry.com someone asked about what could be used for his wifes street defense as living in a state that does not allow concealed handgun carry and she is gun adverse and thus they do not have same within their home. Knife carry is out of the question too because that requires training to be functional, which she will not support.
    So pretty quick out the gate many folks began suggesting specifically wasp and bee spray.
    I personally have never heard of this application before. The following story amongst several others was posted in that thread.

Folks state that it works well as a stand off application which is really what people want and need most so as to buy time and ability to flee (!). Further it has lasting antagonistic properties as applied to the eyes.

I personally am not going to suggest this to my wife nor anyone as a viable means of defense until I can see some serious this worked feedback and testing. In fact I am in the midst of lining up a training session for she and her rollerblading mom friend to go get real training by a certified instructor of LEOs toward use and deployment of aerosol sprays in defensive application at the S&W Academy.
    But I will post this here for you all to review and make your own personal decision toward this as a better than scream/pray/hope to dial 911 and last through the beating/rape until they respond nothing at all measure.

---

As featured at ABC13:

Expert gives tips on how to protect yourself
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009

On the heels of a break in and beating that left an elderly woman in Toledo dead, self defense experts have a tip that could save your life.

Val Glinka teaches self-defense to students at Sylvania Southview High School. For decades, he's suggested putting a can of wasp and hornet spray near your door.

Glinka says, "This is better than anything I can teach them."

Glinka considers it inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective than mace or pepper spray. The cans typically shoot 20 to 30 feet; so if someone tries to break into your home, Glinka says "spray the culprit in the eyes". It's a tip he's given to students for decades. It's also one he wants everyone to hear.

Over the weekend someone broke into the Austin Street home of 83-year-old Cecilia Sobecki. The suspect robbed and beat Sobecki, breaking her hip and wrist. Sunday, Sobecki died. The suspect is still on the loose.

If you're looking for protection, Glinka says look to the spray.

"That's going to give you a chance to call the police; maybe get out."

Maybe even save a life. The suspect from this weekend's beating is described as a heavyset white female, about five foot eight inches tall. She was last seen wearing a dark hood. If you have any info police want to hear from you.

The story with a video can be found at; http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?se...cal&id=6650350

- Janq

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Nose Nuggets's Avatar
    that's exactly what i am looking for in a person defense weapon; the ability to call the police. before they get up twice as pissed and resume their attack, that is. but fear not! the police are now in route. just hold on tight.

It might work if you are being robbed by a 250 lb. hornet... but why not just use OC spray, the type of defensive aerosol designed for humans?

I understand the idea of improvisation in a pinch, but Raid, Windex, and oven cleaner are most effective in their domestic uses. Maybe drain opener in a syringe a la Sarah Connor would be the most effective, or water balloons full of lye? :shrug:

Def not my first choice/recommendation, better off going for the rolling pin...

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

A fine question SM.

Here in MA aerosol sprays are a controlled and regulated item not available for sale nor possession to persons who do not have the correct level FID card, and yes there is a limited FID that is specific to that of OC. I kid you not. And it costs $20 to apply toward to which a person can be denied issuance or have revoked. Again I kid you not.
    Several other states are same similar and then there is DC as well.

So while I agree OC would be a no brainer best choice to choose, sadly for not all citizens it is an option available at hand.

- Janq

Quote Originally Posted by solus mortalis

I understand the idea of improvisation in a pinch, but Raid, Windex, and oven cleaner are most effective in their domestic uses.
    ...and could there be civil court suit from the BG claiming damages because you used something that wasn't intended/specified on the back of the bottle/can?

I know I hate when I get any OFF! spray in my eyes...

I'd rather take my hand at throwing house-hold steak knives then hoping I can aim a stream of wasp *repellent* at even 10 feet with any sort of accuracy on a moving BG. Lets not forget that most of that bish is toxic and most likely will come back at you if you're throwing it up in the air in the attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq
    A fine question SM.

Here in MA aerosol sprays are a controlled and regulated item not available for sale nor possession to persons who do not have the correct level FID card, and yes there is a limited FID that is specific to that of OC. I kid you not. And it costs $20 to apply toward to which a person can be denied issuance or have revoked. Again I kid you not.
    Several other states are same similar and then there is DC as well.

So while I agree OC would be a no brainer best choice to choose, sadly for not all citizens it is an option available at hand.

- Janq
    Massachusetts doesn't even allow its citizens to defend themselves with pepper spray? How the fuck is this state even permitted to remain part of the US?

Honest to God I haven't a clue Kart.
    But...I was somewhat heartened yesterday as I visited for a kids event the Shutesbury, MA elementary school (a small hill town in Western MA with just one such school) and guess what they had hanging proudly and alone in the kids combination use cafeteria/lunchroom?!

http://www.gadsden.info

I was sooo stunned and amazed that in the middle of an event as everyone was seated I stood up from my seat and turned in the aisle to take a picture over folks heads of this amazing sight.
    Sadly no United States of America flag was anywhere in sight.

There is hope albeit in small pockets here, there, and in minority numbers.

- Janq

Yep, there's always hope. Don't get me wrong Janq, I love Massachusetts. Been to Boston and loved the history and the cool people. Used to ski and bike at a rinky-dink mountain way out in western Mass when I lived in the Albany NY area, and that end of the state while definitely more rural was equally charming and unique.

Quote Originally Posted by kartoffel
    ...pepper spray?
    Had to enter a federal building this morning in my city. I knew they wouldn't permit guns or pocket knives, but wasn't sure about pepper spray. I had to walk it back to my car before I was allowed entry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads