Expert gives tips on how to protect yourself [With bug spray!?] - Page 2
Close

Expert gives tips on how to protect yourself [With bug spray!?]

This is a discussion on Expert gives tips on how to protect yourself [With bug spray!?] within the CCW Conceal Carry forums, part of the Gun Forums category; Gabe has his own rep, and I'm not going there, but this is an apropos analogy for these self-described 'experts' The Need For Force On ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Gabe has his own rep, and I'm not going there, but this is an apropos analogy for these self-described 'experts'

The Need For Force On Force
    Imagine a class of students studying the art of swimming. The instructor, ostensibly an expert swimmer with credentials and such, calmly walks up to the class and begins lecturing. The environment is totally comfortable and dry, the students are clothed in typical business clothing and notes are being taken as they sip water or coffee.

The lecturer goes on to describe the need to float, and to move the arms and legs in unison, this way and that. He discusses passingly how to breathe and what water temperature may do to the technique. He shows films of swimmers, and analyzes the techniques.

Finally, the class understands the concept of swimming.

Then they retire to their respective swim couches and practice their strokes incessantly. After a while they very good at this and can whip out a back stroke or breast stroke or even a dog paddle like the expert in class. They are given Swimmer Diplomas and sent out ready to swim....should the need arise.

Eventually these would-be swimmers begin discussing the merits of pumping the arms more than the feet, or of holding the breath or the theoretical need to get the head up out of the place the water would be, if in fact they were swimming in water, in order to breathe. Minutia upon minutia are analyzed and discussed to perfect "the couch swim".

But nobody ever gets into the water. The water is a fearfull place. One actually gets wet. "There be dragons" seems to be the attitude. "The water is not safe", some say. Others say that the mere suggestion that one would have to test the Master Swimmer's Theory Of Swimming to be a disloyal and unfaithful act. Analytical swimmers do not need to get into the water, others murmur as they grind through their swim katas every day.

The discussions on minutia and the unaswered questions persist. Yet if one of them dared to wander into the murky wetness, all the questions that they have spent hours and hours bemusing would be answered in one instant flash of sudden understanding.

I'll let you in on a secret. It is a dark and ugly secret that has been kept hidden like a national security issue for decades.

The master swimmer does not, in fact, know how to swim.

He can teach you the technique for making swimming motions on a safe couch, but he knows nothing of the water. The couch swim doesn't work in a pool, much less in the ocean. His students would drown.
    That is a fact he would kill to keep hidden, because he has invested so much in his teaching methods and technical presentation.

Quite an illustration isn't it? Much the same can be said for many other things in life. One of them is Gun Fighting.

I get students from range-based schools, and their satellites all the time. These guys and gals have been drilled into the indoctrination of how to stand, how to draw, and of course, how to use the sights to carefully fire a nice pair into a piece of paper. They have previously spend their training time perfecting their stance, or focusing more on their front sight, or reacting to the first tone of the whistle or tone. Slight changes in holsters, or triggers, or other incomprehensible irrelevancies filled their study time.

These things do not last more than the first few minutes of our class.

Yet, some of our herasy and blasphemies have spread through the cracks into other schools curricula. Formerly square-range based, they want to put a toe into the water without getting their carefully pressed Royal Robbins tuxedo wet. It is impossible to hide the truth in the age of the internet.

I have seen them come and draw and fire, then and only then taking a quick single side step so as to give passing lip service to getting off the X without altering their precise sight picture and stable platform.

The open mouth and furrowed brow that results from their failure is almost uniform.

If only people would simply get into the water...into the Force on Force crucible, all things would be known immediately like the dripping swimmer who has just completed his first pool workout. In a handful of chaotic and often intense seconds, the force on force student knows more about gunfighting than the untested range instructor who has been shooting groups all his life.

Stop being the theoretical dry couch swimmer and jump into the freaking pool. Heck, just think of all the time and money that will be saved once you have the "secret" knowledge that so many are trying to keep from you. Put down your range bag, grab an airsoft pistol and a training partner and step into the light.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Janq's Avatar
    Yeah Gabe Suarez...I wonder what his view is toward the drama with James Yeager and his theories of live fire 360 degree training for Joe Schmoe types.

- Janq

I'd be curious about Gabe Suarez's opinion as well. He comes off as rather opinionated, but his training is more of the down to earth, practical gunfighting style rather than tactical ninja crap.

On a semi-related note, I was reading about the first Gulf War recently, specifically the armor battles at 73 easting and phase line bullet, where coalition forces delivered the big left hook into Iraq and around behind Kuwait.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_73_Easting
    the Iraqis did not run or surrender, but manned their vehicles and weapons to face the advancing Americans. In the ensuing battle, many American units advanced past Iraqi tanks and crews, who were in shelters or had not yet turned on their engines and so did not appear to be threats in the American crew's thermal sights. Some confusion resulted, with enemy tanks and anti-tank infantry crews operating in the rear of the American lead units, and several friendly fire incidents occurred. The brigade commander, Colonel David Weisman, decided to pull the battalions back, consolidate, and use his artillery to destroy the aggressive Iraqi infantry.
    Doesn't matter if it's combat or just training - being downrange of friendly shooters is dangerous.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Janq
    Here in MA aerosol sprays are a controlled and regulated item not available for sale nor possession to persons who do not have the correct level FID card, and yes there is a limited FID that is specific to that of OC. I kid you not. And it costs $20 to apply toward to which a person can be denied issuance or have revoked. Again I kid you not.
    - Janq
    Wow, that's... fucked...up. I had thought that I'd seen everything as far as asinine and pointless public "safety" laws from SF. Apparently, it can get worse.

I would discard with the spray option entirley and go with a pain compliance device such as a kubaton, pocket knife, or "defense pencil". (options may vary, check your local laws and regulations, yadda, yadda)

Sure you lose the standoff distance of a spray; but I would rather trust my life with a mini Victorinox, than with a can of Black Flag .

I don't get how a state that has been ground zero for so many revolutionary battles, ideas, and concepts can become the second most regulated state in the country.

Back OT, I'm with SM...I'd rather trust my life to a non-spray item. I'd rather throw table, lamp, frying pan, plasma t.v. (hitting the 40-50 lb area now, not out of the question) then to trust my defense to bug spray, or even pepper spray. I'd rather tip over tables, couches, and chairs to block the way to aid in my fleeing then I would to stand in close quarters that would be necessary to make any kind of spray effective.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads