Deputies Arm Cleveland Churches (IL)
Close

This is a discussion on Deputies Arm Cleveland Churches (IL) within the CCW Conceal Carry forums, part of the Gun Forums category; As reported by News 9: June 14, 2009 - 6:34 PM Amanda Shropshire Churches in Cleveland are now armed against crime in their congregations. This ...

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Janq's Avatar

As reported by News 9:

June 14, 2009 - 6:34 PM
    Amanda Shropshire

Churches in Cleveland are now armed against crime in their congregations. This week 10 people were sworn in as special church deputies by the Bradley County Sheriff's Department.

These deputies now have the same rights as any law enforcement officer while protecting people within the walls of their church. While their presence will be felt, they won't be seen unless something happens.

"For quite a long time now we have had someone in every service and we have people that roam the halls and parking lots during our services and we've done that for quite a while," says Mike Sharp, Vice Chairman of Deacons at First Baptists Church.

Now churches across Bradley County are catching on. The Sheriff's department had its first 10 church deputies sworn into service.

Armed citizens will now sit in their regular services ready to protect their congregation.

"Those that are in this program, while conducting their work they are full time authorized licensed personnel that have gone through state mandated training," says Bradley County Sheriff Tim Gobble.

Sheriff Gobble says the decision to keep these deputies anonymous is up to the churches.

"Here at our church you aren't going to see anyone armed, they are dressed for church they are here to worship and that's exactly what they are doing," says Mike Sharp.

"If we have an active shooter situation like we have seen in places across the country then this person will be able to act quickly and save lives," says Tim Gobble.

The program got started after two people were shot to death inside a Knoxville church last August.

More recently, the images of an Illinois congregation mourning over the shooting death of their pastor have made people like John Hensley support the program.

"I do believe that we should be able to come to a place of worship and worry about what we are doing rather than sit here and worry about our safety," says John Hensley, Central Church of Christ.

Sheriff Gobble says officers not only had weapon training but basic first aid, and situation response training. Church members who are already law enforcement officers are also included in this program.

The article can be found at; http://www.newschannel9.com/news/chu...s-sheriff.html

- Janq

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) mwink822's Avatar
    Interesting in deed.

are sworn in deputies required to do the same duties as traditional officers? Meaning, are they required by law to stop and assist in the arrest of those in commission of felonies ?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Janq's Avatar
    As far as I understand yes.

But these persons are more akin to reserve deputies rather than for real deputies who are full time law enforcement officers.
    BTW 'deputy' is a position as there is typically a single sherrif and there may be a second in charge under sherrif followed by the rest being sherrif deputies...and below that reserve deputies who tend to be PT.

In this case the story states their powers as deputies are limited toward duties as performed on church property during church session.
    They thus as limited could not for example enforce law while at the mall or in line at Burger King any more than you or I as Joe Blow-Civilian could, unless their church is at the Mall or is Burger King.

I have been asked by and will be applying to become a volunteer reserve deputy toward an adjacent county sherriff department this coming fall.

- Janq

Remove Ads

Ads