The Holster Thread
Close

The Holster Thread

This is a discussion on The Holster Thread within the CCW Conceal Carry forums, part of the Gun Forums category; The title says it all, post up your experiences with the holsters in that box in the corner of the garage. Here's what I can ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) mwink822's Avatar

The Holster Thread

The title says it all, post up your experiences with the holsters in that box in the corner of the garage. Here's what I can add:

Desantis Inner Piece - use it almost every day to tote my Springfield TRP and Colt CCO around. It has a nice body guard on it so I don't have a thumb safety rubbing up against my side all day, retention is okay, but not great. Holster is relatively stable. This holster allows for easy concealment of the full sized TRP.

DeSantis C&L Thumb Break Cozy Partner - as above but a little more stable thanks to the little foot looking protrusion at the bottom of the holster. Better retention than above thanks to the addition of a thumb break strap. When using a thumb break holster, this is the preferred choice as it allows for C1 (cocked and locked) carry. The downside, it has a thumb break to slow draw speed when carrying in this holster and wearing an un-tucked t-shirt or polo.

DeSantis SOB - Good option for out of the way carry. Retention is reasonably good. If wearing a jacket or other covering garmet such as an unbuttoned button down shirt, it conceals well. Downside is that the drawstroke is a little awkward at first and you may end up raking the muzzle past yourself a few times while getting accustomed to drawing from this holster. As another plus, it's comfortable to carry this way as the gun's weight is spread out pretty well. I have one of these for my Glock 23 and for my Colt CCO.

DeSantis Speed Scabbard OWB - open top OWB holster with three belt slots. Retention is not ideal, but it's one of the few holsters that my Desert Warrior fits. The leather is on the thin side and can collapse after draw depending on where the holster is worn. This holster also allows the gun's thumb safety to rub up against and chafe my side.

Wilson Combat Tigershark - Great paddle holster. I have it in sharkskin with suede lining and love it for range use. Gun retention is notably better than the DeSantis speed scabbard above. A relatively rapid draw can be accomplished thanks to the low cut front. Another nice feature is the full length body guards going up both sides of the holster to 1) keep the thumb safety from rubbing up against bare skin, and 2) prevent unintentional disengagement of the thumb safeties; the interior of these panels is contoured to keep the thumb safety in the 'on' position. VERY stable thanks to the wide paddle. The only real downside to this holster is that it does not conceal that well.

Blackhawk SERPA - good all around OWB holster for range use. It has good retention and allows for a rapid draw thanks to the low cut front. I have one of these for my Glock 23 and for my 1911s.

Galco Fletch - Very good all around OWB holster. I have one of these for my SW99 and can say that while it is an OWB holster, it is still easy to conceal in that it rides very close to the body, it has good retention thanks to the thumb break. The downside, it has a thumb break so if worn under an un-tucked t-shirt, it's one extra step in getting your gun out and up.

Blade-Tech UCH - GREAT holster for deep concealment. I used one of these for several months to tote my TRP around the office. It makes the gun damn near disappear as your shirt is tucked in over top of it. Downsides, it's not very stable in my experience and it's a little bit of a challenge to draw from this holster. Another downside, thanks to its Kydex construction, it can get uncomfortable to wear around.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) MrMcCrackin's Avatar
    For the 229:

- Galco OWB Concealable
    - CompTac IWB Gurkha
    - CompTac IWB Infidel (favorite)
    - RCS Phantom weapon light hostler (waiting on weapon light)

For the Glock .40:

- Safariland OWB Custom Fit paddle
    - CompTac IWB CTAC
    - CompTac IWB Infidel
    Last edited by MrMcCrackin; 03-06-2011 at 04:05 PM.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Nose Nuggets's Avatar
    crossbreed super tuck - i dont think i will ever buy anything else.
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Janq's Avatar
    All kinds of agreed in regard to the Blade-Tech 'UCH'!

I ran one for years with my commander length Springfield 1911 and it was simply excellent.
    Sadly my Springer frame was not reparable and the replacement was a full size 5" which of course will not fit. I've since been running a completely different holster though that is more comfortable than kydex being made from soft leather but it's draw stroke is less smooth as is the case with kydex.

I'll come back here though tonight and detail my holsters of which I have several.

- Janq

I always find it remarkable that when I get a new holster, it's "THE" holster for all of about a couple of weeks...then I start realy noticing things that aren't strong points and which significantly out weigh the positive points that the holster has. This partly why I'm reluctant to get any super expensive holsters a la Mernicle, etc.

Another one I forgot about - I can't recall the holster model off hand, but it's a DeSantis nylon IWB with a steel belt clip and a pocket for a spare mag on the front of the holster. It's abysmal. It has poor retention, the holster does not keep its shape when the gun is drawn, the design of the holster does not allow for a full firing grip to be had and the holster will occasionally come out with the gun on the draw. My advice, stay the hell away from these things.

Quote Originally Posted by mwink822
    Blade-Tech UCH - GREAT holster for deep concealment. I used one of these for several months to tote my TRP around the office. It makes the gun damn near disappear as your shirt is tucked in over top of it. Downsides, it's not very stable in my experience and it's a little bit of a challenge to draw from this holster. Another downside, thanks to its Kydex construction, it can get uncomfortable to wear around.
    I run all UCHs. I Gorilla glue a piece of Hobby Lobby suede on the back of it so it doesn't rub. I've run a G26 and UCH in Andy Stanfords 'Surgical Speed Shooting' so it'll do its job if you practice with it.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyTTE
    I run all UCHs. I Gorilla glue a piece of Hobby Lobby suede on the back of it so it doesn't rub. I've run a G26 and UCH in Andy Stanfords 'Surgical Speed Shooting' so it'll do its job if you practice with it.
    I like the Hobby Lobby suede idea. I may have to give it a shot.

HOV
    I use a Galco Royal Guard horsehide IWB holster (~$100) for my G23. As far as IWB holsters go, this one works very well. Holds the pistol tightly; draw is easy and concealment is great. Re-holstering is also quite easy. The drawback for IWB holsters is that they get a little annoying and require a very specific fit on the pants - not too tight, not too loose.

I use a DeSantis Superfly pocket holster ($25)for my S&W 442. This is a great holster, about as light and inconspicuous as a pocket holster can be. It also has a flap that hides any potential printing, but I don't use it to cut down on bulk.

I have a Mika's pocket holster for the 442 on order to be delivered soon. Don't know how much better the Mika holstre can be, but it was only $26 so it was worth a try.

I also use a Galgo ankle holster ($90) for my 442 or M38 when I use them as a BUG. It works very well with an airweight, not very well with anythig steel framed. I like the sturdy wetsuit material ankle band with real sheepskin padding. Does well with sweat management.

I use a Tagua leather belt holster for my XD45. This is a very comfortable, affordable ($39) OWB holster that also fits other XD models and some HK models as well. Very comfortable, very secure fit but reholstering is a little difficult. It's fairly new so it may get better with break-in.
    Last edited by HOV; 04-27-2009 at 12:23 PM.

In carrying my XD9 Sub-Compact recently, two more holsters that I use come to my attention those being a Don Hume JIT Slide holster and a Galco Matrix OWB. The Don Hume is a cheapie that does a so-so job of holding the weapon for concealment. I don't particularly like that there is not tension adjustment to get the holster to hold the gun a little more snugly and I don't like the way the the belt loops are situated. The belt loops are fairly close together and it allows the gun to flop around a bit.

The Galco Matrix 7X is a hard thermo-molded plastic type holster that is worn OWB and attaches via wrap around belt loops that are secured by one way snaps. I like this holster as it has good retention and keeps the gun closer to the body for concealent. This is my favored way of carrying the XD.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads