Coyotes come to a neighborhood near you...
Close

This is a discussion on Coyotes come to a neighborhood near you... within the CCW Conceal Carry forums, part of the Gun Forums category; DENVER – A coyote ambling into a Chicago sandwich shop or taking up residence in New York's Central Park understandably creates a stir. But even ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

DENVER – A coyote ambling into a Chicago sandwich shop or taking up residence in New York's Central Park understandably creates a stir. But even here on the high plains of Colorado, where the animals are part of the landscape and figure prominently in Western lore, people are being taken aback by rising coyote encounters.

Thanks to suburban sprawl and a growth in numbers of both people and animals, a rash of coyote encounters has alarmed residents.

Wildlife officials are working to educate the public: Coyotes have always been here, they've adapted to urban landscapes and they prefer to avoid humans.

"Ninety-five percent of this problem is a human problem, and we really need to focus on that 95 percent to solve it," said Nicole Rosmarino, wildlife program director of the environmental group WildEarth Guardians.

Since December, four people in the Denver area have been nipped or bitten by coyotes. A fifth told police a coyote lunged at him.

State wildlife officers have killed seven coyotes. An eighth was killed by a sharpshooter hired by Greenwood Village, in Denver's southern suburbs.

"These are coyotes that were born and raised in the 'hood," said Liza Hunholz, an area manager with the Colorado Division of Wildlife.

More can be found here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/coyotes_in_the__hood

Matt has never been a city boy and coyotes is nothing new to him. I used to hunt them for sport. Some may baulk about them in an urban setting though. You can thank our unsupported suburbia growth for that.

If one comes near you or your animals in an aggressive manner, better to just put it down then and there.

Concealed carry: not just to protect from BGs.

This is a national problem, not just in Denver. Just recently we had a bobcat running loose and because this isn't a gun friendly state it just about paralyzed the state.

Yotes are all over the place in northern Alabama. Heard a pack of them yipping just after sunset just the other day.

If you have a hunting license and enough land to shoot responsibly, get yourself a cheap predator call (or Deebo's boom box with a wounded rabbit tape). Seriously, in some places you could cull 10 dogs a night and there'd still be more coming out of the woodwork.

Of course, Kartoffel recommends ethical game management.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

I go to SD and take care of them for my rancher friend once a year along with prairie dogs.

We have bobcats and mountain lions running around Iowa now as well. The DNR called shenanigans on us, until someone caught one on a deer camera

The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Janq's Avatar
    Similar issues going on here too,along with rabies.

We now have a state coyote season where as just a few years ago as much was non-existant.
    Not much sprawl though out here as relative to other states.

- Janq

Last winter at $LOCATION in the Utah desert, a mama cougar decided to have two kittens in the crawl space underneath a building that was actively in use. They just left her alone and stayed away from the crawl space on that end of the building until she left a few days later.

There used to be mule deer and chukar all over the place, but since the cats moved in there's no deer and even the birds seem to know something is up.

EDIT: It's not that the cats are a problem like coyotes can be, but that the prey animals have moved to safer locations. Kartoffel does NOT endorse shooting cougars, unless it's in self defense.

Coyotes are open "season" all year long here. No license neccessary. Only time off limits is deer rifle season. IIRC. I've yet to see one IRL, but hear them all the time.

Yep, they have moved all over Georgia. Some in my old yard, Id hear them yipping weekly.

It sounds like most of us are seasoned enough with coyotes to not fear them and to act normally whether its leaving them alone or putting them down.

I can't imagine what Earnest P. Urban would say seeing one roll up to his suburbia drive way.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Janq's Avatar
    Last summer I told my best friend in MD, who hunts, that we have coyote up here in W. MA.
    Dude has known me over twenty years but this he swore I was either making up or hearing some neighbors dog.
    Uh huh, okay.
    So I set out at just after 2AM with my own dog (90lb. male Akita) who would go NUTS and into full aggression posturing when he'd hear them on our walks and would want to run after the noises. I could hear them from my side yard but we walked maybe a half mile toward the yelps to a wooded area. My dog was going berserk.
    So I called my buddys cell and left him a full time limit VM with my phone on speaker. Next day he was all like no way you got coyotes in your neighborhood!!!

Yep.

- Janq

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads