Tow Truck Drivers Chase Armed Robbers (TX)
Close

This is a discussion on Tow Truck Drivers Chase Armed Robbers (TX) within the CCW Conceal Carry forums, part of the Gun Forums category; Preface: The following was posted moments ago at Defensive Carry.com by a regular known member. He is the person detailed in the incident report which ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Janq's Avatar

Preface:
    The following was posted moments ago at Defensive Carry.com by a regular known member.
    He is the person detailed in the incident report which reads like complete craziness...

Father and son in tow truck chase robbery suspects in Fort Worth

02:00 PM CDT on Monday, March 23, 2009

By KATRINA GUTIERREZ / The Dallas Morning News

Fort Worth police are crediting a father and son for helping capture one of two men accused of holding six hostages during a robbery.
    Also Online

Ollie Ray Whitworth, 43, and his 18-year-old son, Ollie Ray Whitworth Jr., were in a tow truck and leaving the Abandoned Vehicle Enforcement business in the 6800 block of Randol Mill Road on Sunday evening when they saw a robbery taking place in the office.

The Whitworths thought it was a joke until they encountered a second robber wearing a black skullcap, sunglasses and bandanna covering his face. The man pointed his gun at the Whitworths and ordered them into the office, where four other people were being held hostage.

The robbers took the cash register and fled on foot. When the Whitworths heard the robbers shaking a gate to escape, they decided to pursue them.

The Whitworths jumped into their truck and followed the robbers, who were on foot, to a nearby mobile home park. As one of the robbers fired at the Whitworths, the Whitworths knocked him down with their truck. The robber then ran to a white Chevy Caprice and drove away. The Whitworths continued their pursuit, trying to cut off the fleeing car.

During the pursuit, the Whitworths used the radio in their truck to notify other tow-truck drivers about the robbery. Kelly Hedge, 32, who was filling up his truck at a nearby gas station, heard the radio alert and drove to the mobile home park, where he saw the suspect who was on foot. He jumped out of his truck with a handgun and flashlight and gave chase.

Hedge found the suspect under the steps of a mobile home, but the man fled. As Hedge chased him, the Whitworths and the robber in the Chevy Caprice spotted them. Hedge fired a couple of shots at the Caprice, and Whitworth drove head-on toward the Caprice to stop the Caprice from hitting Hedge, police said. The Caprice swerved and hit a street sign. The driver then fled on foot.

The younger Whitworth got out of the tow truck and helped Hedge tackle the other suspect.

Christopher Mayor, 26, was charged with aggravated robbery, Fort Worth police said today. He was taken to John Peter Smith Hospital and treated for non-life-threatening injuries sustained during the chase and capture.

The second robber remained at large Monday morning, and police had not released a detailed description.

Source - http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....62b23156.html
    The second suspect has since been jailed.

All of the employees survived without injuries.......other than FTWPD taking my gun for ballistics testing.

~

I was the one behind the gun and another driver behind the wheel.

The BG that got away (did so in the car and not on foot) has since been arrested but I dont know the extent of injuries from his run in with the tow truck.

K.D.Hedge

Source - http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...d-robbers.html
    - Janq
    Last edited by Janq; 03-27-2009 at 03:21 PM.

I can't even begin to describe the level of stupid that the Father and son, and then secondarily Mr. Hedge have just displayed. This is the vigilante justice that the Brady camp all says we crazed gun-folk will eventually succumb to, and another mark why we shouldn't have personal defense weapons.

I'm pretty sure the lesson here is obvious.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Nose Nuggets's Avatar
    in the words of The Continental

WAOWIE WAOW WAOW!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

Agreed Matt.

I actually read it three times over to be sure I was processing things correctly.
    I'll have to check back to DC.co to see if the guys have begun to bust his balls yet.

- Janq

Update:
    Due to chasing them into a moble home park, I did not have clear shot at the BGs without fear of hitting someone inside a trailer house. I did try to shoot out a tire on the escaping car but that proved to be difficult to while also dodging the car.

- Target1911
    Remarkably and unusual for DC.com, the NASIOC of defense forums, dudes thread is damn near silent with only seven total posts, three of which are his own including the OP, against 49 views over the last two hours.
    Clearly folk are walking wide of it which typically means not so good.
    He's got just two atta boys thus far.

Do not be try this at home.

- Janq

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) MrMcCrackin's Avatar
    i am curious to read some of the ball bustin once it starts

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Nose Nuggets's Avatar
    this guy wasn't charged for negligent discharge?

Duplicate to Matt's better edited posting below.
    Last edited by Janq; 03-28-2009 at 09:54 AM.

Here are the response's to Janq's questions for all those interested.

Target,

Can you go into technical details about the situation?

My questions and wonderment includes the following:
    * What make, model, and caliber was your handgun?
    Kimber Compact 45ACP
    * What brand and variant ammunition were you using and in what bullet type (FMJ or JHP) as well as what bullet weight?
    Hornady TAP 230gr HP
    * What brand flashlight did you have at hand and how did you feel about it's ability to illuminate the area so as to be functional?
    Believe it or not, a 3 cell Mag Light w/LED insert. I choose this light because it also works well for self defence. With the LED insert it is blinding and did light up the BG very well.
    * When you fired on the vehicle how many rounds were you able to fire and was it strong hand only or two hand grip?
    Due to Trailer Houses being my only back stop I chose to try for the tire. I only got a couple of shots off Strong Hand
    * Where did you aim on the vehicle and what damage was notable at all if any? Did your rounds penetrate? Did this have any noticeable effect on the driver or his actions?
    No damage because I missed...due to shooting at a moving target while I too was moving. I watched the Crime Scene Inv. dig up one of my bullet from the dirt. It penetrated about 12-14". The driver did duck down but it didnt slow him down
    * What did/do the police have to say toward your involvement in seeking out and chasing after the BG prior to becoming endangered directly, by his attempt to drive over you, and did they deem your discharge of a weapon to be justifiable?
    They will always say to stay out of harms way. Yes it was Justifiable. The LEO and CSI were actually thankful that we were able to do as much as we did. We even spent a couple of hrs helping them to find evidence......and even called them back because we had found more (including were my bullet hit the dirt) after they left. Just for the record, evidence was strung out for over a half mile and throughout the trailer park
    * How did your ears react to and handle the sound of your gunfire considering they were unprotected?
    I dont even remember drawing my gun (leather IWB @ 4:00)
    The sound of the gun shots were infact no louder than closing a car door.....and I never suffered from the sound of the gun shots.

I ask these questions not so much to be nosy or probing as on the surface they might seem, but more so because I and others of us can learn and add to our own knowledge base by proxy of your experience as you relate it first person.

I hope you don't mind nor are offended.

I dont mind at all. Glad to help

Thanks,

- Janq
    I still cannot believe how many "atta-boys" this guy is getting. Too many good job's, too many "you had all the fun" comments. This Mr. Hedge was intensely stupid for what he did. What if the call he heard wasn't really for help, but to set Mr. Hedge up for a car jacking or strong-armed robbery ? What if the BG's actually shot back with semi-auto rifles. Would his Kimber and a mag or two put him on equal footing in his civilian clothes then? I feel like too many in that thread are praising him for his Action-Hero status instead of chastising him for his choice to put his life on the line when he most likely has children and a wife to come home to.
    Last edited by mattxander12; 03-28-2009 at 07:32 AM.

I'm conflicted about the whole thing.

#1 citizens arrests are still legal in all 50 states no matter what you were taught.
    #2 Official Police duties are to investigate, not stop crime. However, they do now attempt to "stop crime" which has traditionally been handled by citizens.
    #3 I don't want people running around my neighborhood shooting at criminals.
    #4 End result or not, this specific incident was handled VERY wrong.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads