Recommend a holster for my m&p9c
Close

This is a discussion on Recommend a holster for my m&p9c within the CCW Conceal Carry forums, part of the Gun Forums category; I have a holster for my sig 228, a don hume and its a pos , sorry but it looks nice but has changed the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Blindeye_03's Avatar

I have a holster for my sig 228, a don hume and its a pos , sorry but it looks nice but has changed the color of the front of the pistol since it was left in it for so long by the guy who used to own it, and it just doesnt fit me right at all. So maybe its not a pos, but I dont like it one bit.

I looked at kydex holsters....comp-tac.com, the minotaur holster - is it good at hiding the grip and being comfortable? The 228 isnt much bigger than the m&p9c, maybe an inch and a half at the grip and muzzle. And the holster wont conceal the grip one bit on that pistol. Looks like I have a boner coming out of my back/side.

Also how is the minotaur holster worn? On the side or at the 5oclock? I have no idea...

I tend to wear jeans and tshirts or jeans and poloshirts or cargos, my pants arent real tight but they arent real baggy either; some ARE tighter than others. My shirts range from tight to normal fitting, depending if I toss on a tshirt or wear a polo.

My other dilemma is that I ride my motorcycle A LOT, but I usually have my tank bag on me or a backpack.

And lastly my final requirement is that it has to be black. The holster for the 228 that I got w/ the gun is red and it took a lot of break-free clp to get the muzzle black again.

May I present an alternative ? Raven Concealment holsters use thin kydex so its more body-hugging and actually quite comfortable once your personal "spot" is found. I use it for concealing my M&P 9 Full size on my strong side (right side). I'm fairly skinny, weight 185lbs and have a slim waiste. This holster also has available many different mounting options to make it OWB, or IWB tuckable with soft loops, C-clips and a bunch of other shit. That's its only downfall, as when you order just the holster, you get only OWB belt loops. Here's some pics of it on me, and it is a all black kydex holster.

cool ill check their site out.. thats my biggest concern is how well it pushes that grip up against my side, because I need one that does.

Im 5'7" and 140lb, so I am pretty damn thin...

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) MrMcCrackin's Avatar
    i like the Minotaur - looks very comfortable, it also looks like A LOT of holster!

i have the C.T.A.C. (G27), Gurkha (229) and the Infidel (G27)

i can tell you that i like the Gurkha and the Infidel the best! - better than the CTAC, mainly for speed of On/Off

its hot in AZ and i found that the leather holsters unless made of horsehide soak up the sweat - this is why i like kydex so much!

as for carry position - everyone is a little different

i personally like the 2 o'clock or 4 o'clock more so than any other

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) mwink822's Avatar
    I use a DeSantis Inner Piece to conceal a full sized 1911 with no problems. My wardrobe consists of all kinds of different stuff, but the holster conceals the full sized 1911 when I'm wearing anything but my slimmest shirts that actually have a fit that is not too terribly much looser than Under Armor. Another holster that I use while at work and when I know my suit jacket won't be coming off is a DeSantis SOB. This also works well, but be sure to have a stable belt otherwise you'll have a gun handle slapping into your back when you walk, etc.

That aside, here are a few of the criterion that I use when buying a holster:

1) Reinforced holster mouth so that re-holstering is made easier

2) About a 15 degree forward cant as I tend to wear my 1911 just behind my hip. This also helps to keep the butt of the pistol from jutting out. Straight drop holsters will always have this issue for you to think about.

3) Is the holster thin enough so as to not add any overly unnecessary bulk? Let's face it you're already strapping an extra 2.5 lbs +/- onto/into your belt line

4) Does the holster have good natural retention? You should be able to hold your holster upside down with your gun in it without the gun dropping free. Being able to shake the holster a little without the gun coming out is even better.

5) Some sort of sweat guard to prevent your body from rubbing up against the metal parts of the gun and possibly causing rust/corrosion spots, and to prevent your gun from making your side look like a package of hamburger meat.

6) Probably one of the most important things, a GOOD STABLE attachment method. A holster is no good if the entire holster and gun can easily be taken off of you by a third person. I tend to prefer the one way snaps or solid belt loops that your belt has to thread through.

Oh, and I am far from a big guy, I'm 5'8" and about 125-128 lbs.

Based on wink's criterion, I'll offer some more info on the Raven Concealment's Phantom series so you have a better idea of the product and what it could offer...

1.) This is a kydex holster, and doesn't have any extra reinforcement. It is rigid as a whole, though I'm not sure if this will lessen with use (only a little over 1 month of use). During my dry-fire drills...one-handed reholstering is easy, for me at least.

2.) I had an issue with cant on this holster originally. The benefit is that its compatible with Eclipse accessories, so you can get an assortment of mounting options, which include the ability to dial in more degrees of cant.

3.) The kydex is thin...I don't have an exact measurement, but it feels thinner than other kydex holster's I've messed with.

4.) Passes the upside down shake test. Again though, it is a relatively fresh holster, and I'm not sure if retention goes down as age goes up.

5.) My pics didn't show it, but the back side of the holster extends all the way up along the slide, protecting the handgun from your bare skin. I haven't had issues with it giving me a sore side, once the "spot" was found.

6.) Again, assortment of attachment methods...soft loop snaps, C-clips, J-clips, Paddle attachment. These are additional items to the holster cost however.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) MrMcCrackin's Avatar
    One very important item to mention - NO HOLSTER will work properly without a sturdy gunbelt!

make sure you have a very stiff gun belt before you start going through holsters trying to make it work.

i personally use the wilderness instructor belts

Ive definately got the stiff gunbelt down. Ive been wearing a beltman 1.5" horseleather belt for a few months, although its a little small. I measured properly, but it just fits way too tight on the notch thats my size. SO if I wear a gun w/ this I would have it on the last notch. I emailed them to see if I could get some material added or maybe get a used one from them.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) mwink822's Avatar
    This, is in response to Matt's post above and represents my personal preferance only, nothing more. That said, I really don't like kydex IWB holsters, I find them to be a little uncomfortable, but then again, much of my day is spent sitting down in the office in front of a computer. I much prefer a good leather or shark skin holster. The latter tends to be a tougher material than leather. I have a shark skin paddle holster for the range that I really like.

I keep forgetting to check out those other holsters...

What do you think about this one?

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/beltslide.html

I am also starting to like that mtac more and more, I just dont know which would be better for a skinny bastard.

Matt - how does yours feel at the end of the day? Is it comfortable walking around, or sitting in your car?

I forgot to add I have a 03 civic si, and the seats are super stiff - think gc style sti seats.

edit: DeSantis doesnt seem to make anything worth buying for the m&p9c in black - they have one in tan but I dont want to change the color of my gun like my 228 had happen.

.. this thread shows a lot of praise for the crossbreed supertuck and some for the minotaur mtac
    Last edited by Blindeye_03; 03-25-2009 at 08:54 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads