CCW Pistol Reliability
Close

CCW Pistol Reliability

This is a discussion on CCW Pistol Reliability within the CCW Conceal Carry forums, part of the Gun Forums category; Here's a topic that I've been thinking about now that I'm putting another potential carry gun through its paces. When can one really consider a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) mwink822's Avatar

CCW Pistol Reliability

Here's a topic that I've been thinking about now that I'm putting another potential carry gun through its paces. When can one really consider a new pistol reliable for carry use.

My protocol for this is to fire 400-500 flawless rounds of ball ammo through the gun, cleaning and lubing the gun after every 100-120 rounds. Following that I fire 150-200 malfunction free rounds with my specific carry ammo, and about 20 rounds each of a few different defensive loadings.

If the pistol malfunctions with the ball or hollow point ammo, I start the round count at 1 again. Thus far it has seemed to work, just curious if maybe this is overkill, or even if this is inadequate as I am of the opinion that you can never be too careful in proving reliable a tool to which life and limb will be trusted if the shit hits the fan.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) MrMcCrackin's Avatar
    ^^

its a good policy to take

in fact the tool should run flawlessly for a full 500 without cleaning

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Nose Nuggets's Avatar
    im with crackin, i would remove the cleaning on the 400-500 round's through test. i would also conduct drop tests. if you are doing this at a range i would conduct the drop portion at home before going to the range. chest high fall, unloaded (or loaded if in an appropriate setting) onto concrete. then commence the 400 round test.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

Looks like the next pistol will be fired 400-500 without the cleaning intervals. This is also the first I've heard of using a drop test. I'll have to begin incorporating it as well.

I always learn something new here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets
    im with crackin, i would remove the cleaning on the 400-500 round's through test. i would also conduct drop tests. if you are doing this at a range i would conduct the drop portion at home before going to the range. chest high fall, unloaded (or loaded if in an appropriate setting) onto concrete. then commence the 400 round test.
    You're going to drop a new gun on concrete? and how would you go about doing this with a loaded gun?

If you are buying any name brand gun(except for Rugers as of late) that has automatic firing safety, a drop test is not needed

The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Nose Nuggets's Avatar
    its not to see if the gun fires during the drop, its to make sure it still fires when you want it too, after the drop.

Ducman: if you aren't willing to drop your carry weapon on concrete, its not a suitable carry weapon. its not supposed to be a pristine piece of art, its a tool. dropping a pistol from chest level to concrete should in no way impair the function of the weapon. i would, however, never in a million years suggest you drop your race/competition gun on the ground. that's nothing short of blasphemy.

Why loaded?! Screw that man!

Quote Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets
    its not to see if the gun fires during the drop, its to make sure it still fires when you want it too, after the drop.

Ducman: if you aren't willing to drop your carry weapon on concrete, its not a suitable carry weapon. its not supposed to be a pristine piece of art, its a tool. dropping a pistol from chest level to concrete should in no way impair the function of the weapon. i would, however, never in a million years suggest you drop your race/competition gun on the ground. that's nothing short of blasphemy.
    A chest high drop wont bust a gun(unless it drops on the hammer of your 1911 or other cocked and locked gun), but it will ruin the value of it by scuffing the shit out of it.

I wont drop mine. I know what its made from and it will still work.

The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

Well I had an inadvertant drop test of my Desert Warrior tonight, got knocked off of the work bench while Lock-titing the gas key of my AR 15 in place. Both guns were making their way back to the safe. The only evidence the the gun has to show for being dropped/knocked onto the tile is a a small knick of bluing that rubbed off of the rear sight. Mechanically everything was intact. Actually the rear sight looks no worse than my EDC TRP rear sight that bumps in to shit all the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads