CCW Pistol Reliability - Page 2
Close

CCW Pistol Reliability

This is a discussion on CCW Pistol Reliability within the CCW Conceal Carry forums, part of the Gun Forums category; That's good news. Of course its to be expected. If a gun can handle thousands of rounds of xxx lbs of force during each shot, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    That's good news. Of course its to be expected. If a gun can handle thousands of rounds of xxx lbs of force during each shot, I'd hope a drop from 5 feet would be cake walk.

But if you're just doing a drop test to test the firing pin safety just to do it, Definitely would do it on the carpet, and with a casing with a little masking tape taught on the back of it.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) mwink822's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mattxander12
    That's good news. Of course its to be expected. If a gun can handle thousands of rounds of xxx lbs of force during each shot, I'd hope a drop from 5 feet would be cake walk.

But if you're just doing a drop test to test the firing pin safety just to do it, Definitely would do it on the carpet, and with a casing with a little masking tape taught on the back of it.
    This was completely inadvertent. Come to think of it, I can't remember what I had that pistol out for at that moment. All I know is that the tile was hurt a lot more than the gun.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) MrMcCrackin's Avatar
    so how many rounds and no FTF's?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

All together I'm sitting at about 800 through the Desert Warrior with no FTF between FMJ and JHP. The gun does seem to dislike some JHP rounds, but it works flawlessly with my Remington 230 gr Bonded Golden Sabers.

Edit: The 800 does not count the hundred and fifty to two hundred rounds of JHPs that didn't function reliably in the gun. I noticed that JHPs with a wide mouth don't feed as well or weren't as accurate as I'd like. I've found that this gun, like my TRP performs best with a full power 230 gr round. The lighter rounds tend to impact the target slightly lower than point of aim for one reason or another.
    Last edited by mwink822; 02-22-2009 at 01:06 PM.

Resurrecting this thread from the dead, what would the thoughts be as to re-testing reliability of a gun that's coming back from some work at the factor. Only reason I ask is that I have my CQB back to Wilson for the rear of the slide to be serrated to cut back some of the glare and to provide more positive traction in the event I need to thumb the slide forward on a slight FTRB, but more commonly when re-holstering. This process requires re-fitting of the extractor since it is also serrated on the rear surface and refinishing of the entire slide assembly.

I'm assuming about 200 rounds of ball ammo and about 150 of carry ought to do the trick. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by mwink822 View Post
    Here's a topic that I've been thinking about now that I'm putting another potential carry gun through its paces. When can one really consider a new pistol reliable for carry use.

My protocol for this is to fire 400-500 flawless rounds of ball ammo through the gun, cleaning and lubing the gun after every 100-120 rounds. Following that I fire 150-200 malfunction free rounds with my specific carry ammo, and about 20 rounds each of a few different defensive loadings.

If the pistol malfunctions with the ball or hollow point ammo, I start the round count at 1 again. Thus far it has seemed to work, just curious if maybe this is overkill, or even if this is inadequate as I am of the opinion that you can never be too careful in proving reliable a tool to which life and limb will be trusted if the shit hits the fan.
    OK, I think the described break in procedure is overkill, too. (And I'm one of the most careful people I know.)

I've never, not even once in my life, carried a pistol that I hadn't already fired at least 250 rounds through; and as many as 1,000 fired rounds has not been uncommon for me–Especially if I've had any sort of problem.

The usual procedure I follow with a brand new pistol is to first give it a thorough cleaning and inspection. Then I'll carefully lubricate it. I tend to lube new guns 'on the wet side'. This is particularly true of polymer frame pistols which I've often found to be excessively 'stiff' until after they've been fired for a while.

Before I break in a new semiautomatic pistol I'll, first, break in the magazines. A new magazine will get completely taken apart, cleaned, and inspected. The springs will be straightened along their vertical axes, and the interior mag walls will be checked for any sort of burrs or protrusions. Then my new magazines will be fully loaded up and allowed to sit for 3 to 5 days before being taken to the range for the first time.

During first trips to the range I have had one or two 'hiccups' while breaking in a new pistol; but, thereafter, it hasn't been uncommon for me to go for a good 10,000 fired rounds, or so, without any sort of problem. My fired guns are always cleaned by the end of the day; and I'm famous among my friends for doing periodic routine maintenance on all of my EDC pistols.

(I'm one of Wolff Gunsprings, and Glockparts.com's best customers!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads