How do you carry? - Page 3
Close

How do you carry?

This is a discussion on How do you carry? within the CCW Conceal Carry forums, part of the Gun Forums category; Originally Posted by Janq MMC that's a good idea in regard to the cell phone playit off idea. The only thing I'm paranoid about when ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq
    MMC that's a good idea in regard to the cell phone playit off idea.
    The only thing I'm paranoid about when carrying is being discovered.

BTW on another totally unrelated note Mrs. Janq just apprised me that our annual health insurance policy review and increase is coming forth in june.
    The new rate, and this is a corporate "group policy", will be hold your hats....$1.1K per month for our family of four!

Yes, one thousand one hundred U.S. or the mother fuckin' meh dollars!
    This shit is ridiculous. I am so mad right now...!
    I've got to cover the increase for my employees (they pay half) while we pay 100% because well who the hell else is gonna pay. Uncle Damn Sam needs to do something about this industry and/or situation.

- Janq feels like going to the range to blow off some steam, right now

Insane. Which is PART of the reason I don't have/want a wife or kids.

Plus, my company has GREAT insurance policies.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Janq's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ghoul

Insane. Which is PART of the reason I don't have/want a wife or kids.

Plus, my company has GREAT insurance policies.
    I offer excellent insurance as well, and with that comes cost.
    She ran down for me the various options and possibilities available to me including changing the policy, again this is group not singular to just us, to an HMO based setup (we're currently a PPO) with no prescription coverage (currently we're 80/20) that would result in a monthly for all of us at $620/month which is the lowest possible pricing. This is Blue Cross/Blue Shield, top rated in VA.

Even $620 is ridiculous not to mention it being without prescription servicing!
    Something neds to be done about this as the cost of health insurance is to the point where it's a significant cost to bear for everyone be it employees (who generally pay half or less), employers like me (who generally pay half or more...and pay 100% for their own famailies), the self employed (who pay 100%), and those who carry individual plans would pay even more than this because they aren't eligible for group rates.

Damn it my blood is boiling right now!

Worst thing is all of my people are healthy non-smokers too.
    We're a small business and this kind of increase is siginificant against the bottom line. Small business makes up the vast majority of businesses in America, to the tune of some ~80+%.
    As a matter of reference the combined costs on the leases toward my Pilot and the STi were $970/month. My mortgage in VA was $1170.
    Worst part is if you don't offer good health insurance then you have a hard time attracting quality talent to affect growth. On the toher hand to afford health insurance at all requires attraction of quality talent in order to grow to offset the not insignifcant costs of health insurance (amongst of course other business related expenses).

I don't think people understand how badly this has gotten as they generally are subsidized by their employer at 50% or more and thus see only half the true picture or less.

I'm going to finish up work early and go shooting or take a ride on my bike to try relaxing.

- Janq

Quote Originally Posted by Janq
    I offer excellent insurance as well, and with that comes cost.
    She ran down for me the various options and possibilities available to me including changing the policy, again this is group not singular to just us, to an HMO based setup (we're currently a PPO) with no prescription coverage (currently we're 80/20) that would result in a monthly for all of us at $620/month which is the lowest possible pricing. This is Blue Cross/Blue Shield, top rated in VA.

Even $620 is ridiculous not to mention it being without prescription servicing!
    Something neds to be done about this as the cost of health insurance is to the point where it's a significant cost to bear for everyone be it employees (who generally pay half or less), employers like me (who generally pay half or more...and pay 100% for their own famailies), the self employed (who pay 100%), and those who carry individual plans would pay even more than this because they aren't eligible for group rates.

Damn it my blood is boiling right now!

Worst thing is all of my people are healthy non-smokers too.
    We're a small business and this kind of increase is siginificant against the bottom line. Small business makes up the vast majority of businesses in America, to the tune of some ~80+%.
    As a matter of reference the combined costs on the leases toward my Pilot and the STi were $970/month. My mortgage in VA was $1170.
    Worst part is if you don't offer good health insurance then you have a hard time attracting quality talent to affect growth. On the toher hand to afford health insurance at all requires attraction of quality talent in order to grow to offset the not insignifcant costs of health insurance (amongst of course other business related expenses).

I don't think people understand how badly this has gotten as they generally are subsidized by their employer at 50% or more and thus see only half the true picture or less.

I'm going to finish up work early and go shooting or take a ride on my bike to try relaxing.

- Janq

(rock) Janq (hard place)

Sucks man. IDK what to tell you. Your situation makes it hard to get a better paying job (time wise). Maybe sell crack?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) MrMcCrackin's Avatar
    i hear you janq -

i work for a large corp - in which i streamline process's and technology

one of the items i use to justify change is cost savings, with this i have found that the employee salary, healthcare is 37% in addition to the base salary!

so in other words if the base salary is $50k the company is actually paying $68500 - which is $1542 per month in healthcare

this is the kinda crap that keeps bean counters up at night - no wonder there is such a large push for part time employees - who dont qualify for full benefits!

hey goul - who made that fabulous holster that you described in your movie theater experience

Quote Originally Posted by MrMcCrackin
    this is the kinda crap that keeps bean counters up at night - no wonder there is such a large push for part time employees - who dont qualify for full benefits!
    Yep...exactly!

Guess what I'll be doing tonight...pouring over an Excel spreadsheet reviewing numbers that affect people and their own families in a real way.
    This is why itpays for business to as you stated bump people back to 30 hr. wks. to avoid having to pay health insurace at all, and others will place folks on 'flex-time' pitching it as a benfit/favor to the employees. Then there are those who contract out rather than hire employees saving themselves coin on the whole as well as the one thing that seems to make lots of people go haywire which is hiring persons who are foreign nationalsor outsourcing overseas. Foreign nationals such as from China or India bring to the table dedication and often very much in the way of smarts & capability at a relatively low expense of less than weatherman sounding speech patterning and they may be illegal or here on an expired Visa looking for you to sponsro their renewal. Just a month ago an advisor of mine suggested that I can a few folks and contract out to an Indian firm he himself has worked with at a significant US dollar savings.
    I've got clients that are large (Fortune 500) and small who both are either downsizing aka 'restructuring' or even going out of business (I kid you not!) because the cost to do business and maintain is higher than profit margins.
    This is serious shit toward real people who have real lives, families, and need to be insured if only for a dental cleaning never mind meds and whatever else.
    For folksin my case as business owners it sucks twice over as we either absorb the hit out of the bottom line or cut bodies, in order to afford to be able to gorw enough to at a minimum offset the increased cost of doing business. Catch-22...chicken or egg.

Meanwhile fools go to the doctor about anynone thing requested meds for stuff they should be fixing t home like don't eat KFC for every dinner and McFood for every lunch 360 days per year thus not coming up with gout and hypertension requiring drugs to offset your choice to live badly, and not keep your body well with exercise and eating fruit once a week or more. On the other hand other persons who just by chance get in an accident or are born with some issue or cannot repair themselves through diet & exercise seek out meds and help only ti find themselves 'rated' and have no option to change to some other policy because their "conditon" is considered to be pre-existing and thus the insurer can choose to not cover that or even your whole ass. Worst if they do then because of your rating expect to get hit waith a 20% or more surcharge, which may be shared 50/50 or better by your employer who in America is very likely to be a small business with shareholders or a bank that generally doesn't give two shits about you the employees personal desires & family needs as they are focused on the bottomline being printed in black and not red ink.

Sorry guys for the out of the blue rant.
    This is just something like CCW and keeping my family alive that is near and dear to my hert in a real world non theoretical deal with it or die kind of way.

- Janq

Quote Originally Posted by MrMcCrackin
    Yep...exactly!
    Worst I literally cannot afford to let anyone go as we run lean as it is. Iif anything I need to hire 2 or 3 more people but hadn't been planning to do so untill fall or so.

Guess what I'll be doing tonight...pouring over an Excel spreadsheet reviewing numbers that affect people and their own families in a real way. I can't fire myself, contract myself out, or reduce my own hours as I'm the owner.

This is why it pays for businesses to as you stated bump people back to 30 hr. wks. to avoid having to pay health insurace at all, and others will place folks on 'flex-time' pitching it as a benfit/favor to the employees. Then there are those who contract out rather than hire employees saving themselves coin on the whole as well as the one thing that seems to make lots of people go haywire which is hiring persons who are foreign nationalsor outsourcing overseas. Foreign nationals such as from China or India bring to the table dedication and often very much in the way of smarts & capability at a relatively low expense of less than weatherman sounding speech patterning and they may be illegal or here on an expired Visa looking for you to sponsro their renewal. Just a month ago an advisor of mine suggested that I can a few folks and contract out to an Indian firm he himself has worked with at a significant US dollar savings.
    I've got clients that are large (Fortune 500) and small who both are either downsizing aka 'restructuring' or even going out of business (I kid you not!) because the cost to do business and maintain is higher than profit margins.
    This is serious shit toward real people who have real lives, families, and need to be insured if only for a dental cleaning never mind meds and whatever else.
    For folksin my case as business owners it sucks twice over as we either absorb the hit out of the bottom line or cut bodies, in order to afford to be able to gorw enough to at a minimum offset the increased cost of doing business. Catch-22...chicken or egg.

Meanwhile fools go to the doctor about anynone thing requested meds for stuff they should be fixing t home like don't eat KFC for every dinner and McFood for every lunch 360 days per year thus not coming up with gout and hypertension requiring drugs to offset your choice to live badly, and not keep your body well with exercise and eating fruit once a week or more. On the other hand other persons who just by chance get in an accident or are born with some issue or cannot repair themselves through diet & exercise seek out meds and help only ti find themselves 'rated' and have no option to change to some other policy because their "conditon" is considered to be pre-existing and thus the insurer can choose to not cover that or even your whole ass. Worst if they do then because of your rating expect to get hit waith a 20% or more surcharge, which may be shared 50/50 or better by your employer who in America is very likely to be a small business with shareholders or a bank that generally doesn't give two shits about you the employees personal desires & family needs as they are focused on the bottomline being printed in black and not red ink.

Sorry guys for the out of the blue rant.
    This is just something like CCW and keeping my family alive that is near and dear to my hert in a real world non theoretical deal with it or die kind of way.

- Janq

yep - keeps me busy - as i am an axe man

just like the bob's on office space - kinda

i walk in, process map, identify gaps and install technology

a funny story from a few years ago - i had flown into norfolk to look over a piece of hardware i had installed months prior and just walking from the elevators to the tech closet some of the ground troops in the trenches recognized me, within 10 minutes ALL WORK STOPPED!

they were all in fear of their jobs - all 150 of them LOL

the senior manager had to be pulled out of a meeting and hold a quick floor meeting to assure them i was there to check on some hardware, then she sent for me to validate to the group this was true

times have changed - 7 years ago i couldnt justify any improvements unless it saved 10+ FTE (full time employee)

now if it saves 3 FTE i get the green light!

Yep..

You know what has become a dirty word amongst corporate vendors these days over I'd say the last 3 to 6 yrs...

'Six Sigma'

As soon as I hear those words come from the mouth of a client be they large or small, top level or whatever I then know, if they haven't already said it outloud in som many words, that they the person are likely to be going away sooner if not later.
    Currently one of my companies oldest clients both in age as a client of ours and age as them being in business overall (100+ yrs and a very well known American company) has six sigmad away an entire _division_ (!) made up of approximately 70 direct employees & vendors/sub-contractors. The VP for that division is one of my working PoCs and he called me to let me know he himself was being forced into retirement and that his whole group is going away. I've known and been working with this guy 11 years now. He was in near tears over the phone telling me about how he's going to be okay because they offered him a nice payout (though he doesn't want to leave because he knows it'll be bad for the compnay ultimately due to the knowledge loss even as they will save dimes & dollars upfront) but because folks like his assitant, the office manager, and a host of others not vblessed with a V or P as the first letter in their title will find themselves reassigned/forced into filler jobs (to late be let go as per the ultimate plan) or outright let go and they get little more than a few weeks severance plus whatever vacation time they have accrued.
    I offered to hire two of the people being retired out but they both told me as much as they would love to work with me and see the offer as an honor, they are sick of it all and just want to go play golf untill the money runs out or they die.

These are real people who have bills to pay, mortgages, college tuitions, and babies too old to breast feed.
    Meanwhile our god damn tax money is proposed to be sent to Iraq to help them setup a _free_ state based health care system where every citizen is covered toward basic care. What the fuck is that?!!!1
    I pay personal tax, corporate tax (at 32%! and am the sole shareholder which means it comes out of my hide too), govt. 'Industrial Funding Fee' ( a tax I collect from govt. agency customers and then repay quarterly but get no consideration toward the real costs of tracking that specific shit), payroll taxes, FICA, state tax personal, state tax corporate, and health insurance on top of all that.
    A mentor of mine closed his business up three years ago (had 23 employees FT & PT) because he felt the cost of keeping the business alive including the stress was greater than the money he thought he could make working as an employee for someone else (his competitor) so he sold the business to them which resulted in more than half his employees being canned and now he makes more than he paid himself prior.
    I don't want to do that kind of thing but geebus ridiculous expenses like this, and more, doesn't make life any easier...to grow.

I'm going to stop talking about this because I feel my chest getting tight and shit.
    This is really pissing me off as I hate cutting the crazy dollar check to these people as it is, last thing I want to do is give those vultures more coin.

- Janq

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads