Inside Edition: 'Library Crimes'
Close

This is a discussion on Inside Edition: 'Library Crimes' within the CCW Conceal Carry forums, part of the Gun Forums category; As reported via Inside Edition: Library Crimes You go to a library to read, do research or study quietly. What you don't expect, are serious ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Janq's Avatar

As reported via Inside Edition:

Library Crimes

You go to a library to read, do research or study quietly. What you don't expect, are serious crimes.

When police responded to an emergency call from a library in Des Moines, Iowa they found James Effler, a registered sex offender, barricaded in the library bathroom with a 20-month-old toddler. He is now serving life without parole for kidnapping and sexual assault.

But this is not an isolated case. INSIDE EDITION found that crimes in libraries occur more often than you may think.

In Ohio last year, a surveillance camera captured a man who was dressed as a woman committing a lewd act right in the middle of the library. He pleaded no contest.

In a Denver library, a man was seen stumbling after being brutally stabbed in the neck by an out of control drifter who was loitering in the library.

Casey Carr knows how dangerous libraries can be. In December of 2001, when Casey was 11, he went to a library in Sacramento, Calif. after school to do homework. But Casey said 25-year-old Lloyd Dawkins kept bothering him.

When Casey went to the bathroom, Dawkins followed him, forced him into a bathroom stall and assaulted him. Dawkins is now serving 16 years in prison.

So how bad is library crime? INSIDE EDITION examined over 2000 library incident reports from 13 cities around the country in 2005. In Atlanta, there were 174 reports of theft, disruptive behavior and harassment. In Seattle, there were 45 reports of public intoxication and sexual misconduct, and in Cleveland there were 48 incidents of vandalism, theft and threats.

Libraries are now investing in sophisticated security equipment, such as surveillance cameras.

In Riverhead, New York, cameras taped a man stalking 85-year-old Ruth Seybolt who was visiting the library like she had done for more than 20 years. He can be seen watching her movements, and then following her into an aisle where he brutally attacked her and stole her pocketbook.

In this surveillance footage, Garner Allen is partially seen on the left before he assaulted 85-year-old Ruth Seybolt, seen seated in a New York library.

Seybolt was found unconscious on the floor and authorities initially thought she had simply fallen down. But her grandson, Robert Fox, who is a police officer, didn't believe it and insisted on seeing the security tapes

Three months later Ruth Seybolt died from her injuries. Garner Allen, a previously convicted violent felon, was found guilty of her murder and sentenced to life behind bars.

Fox says no one should assume they are safe just because they are in a quiet place like a library. "Anything can happen anywhere," he said. "There are bad guys everywhere."

The president of the American Library Association told INSIDE EDITION that libraries are very safe, but cautions that they are open to everyone. Parents should accompany young children and establish rules and expectations for older children.

The story can be found at; http://www.insideedition.com/ourstor...px?storyid=540

- Janq

Lesson to be learned: Librairies are a public space with a roof, no different than your local mall, hospital, school, or even a playground.
    I see people commonly let their kids roam around libraries unmonitored as though it's their own living room. It is not and with shelves and what not its very easy to snag a kid up and well it goes down hill from there. Duh.
    As well for adults many libraires have basement archive rooms or even book stacks that are remote and wholly unmonitored. I know because in college the thing was to get a quickie or hand/blow job in between the stacks. It's easy to do and get away with. Which is what Ruth Seybold found out the hard way.

Gunatic Fanatic hugh g. rection's Avatar
    i bet a gun section in public libraries would cut alot of that shit out.an armed society is a polite society.

Quote Originally Posted by hugh g. rection
    i bet a gun section in public libraries would cut alot of that shit out.an armed society is a polite society.

Section of gun books? Guns available for public borrowing? Wha?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) MrMcCrackin's Avatar
    saddly with the age of the interweb - i have not seen the inside of a library in quite some time

Oh man MMC libraries are so great...much more fun than the internet.
    The next best thing are used book stores, I've found tons of info for projects personal and work related thanks to old out of print and/or hard to find and/or pre-internet reference matierial.
    Used book stores are even worst than libraries. There is one that I go to locally thats always manned by a single female cashier/helper and rarely ever has more than two customers at one time amonsgt rows and stacks of books.
    A person could come in and do what ever he might please in there and leave without as much as a video of what went down.

I don't think many people think of this stuff in general, aside from predators.

- Janq's most recent used book buy was printed in 1913

And it was about the early 19th century Maritime Culture of New England.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ 9iron
    And it was about the early 19th century Maritime Culture of New England.
    Pretty close!

I went downstairs to grab the book and found I was wrong, the print date of my my most recent book buy was 1889; 'History of The Johnstown Flood - Illustrated' by Willis Fletcher Johnson, Edgewood Publishng Co. The book even has peoples old timey hand written notes inside whihc is kind of cool.
    The story is very interesting being a flood that Katrina style decimated Johnstown, PA and impacted secondarily pretty much the whole country as per how the tale is told in the book.
    For more info point your browser here - http://www.nps.gov/jofl

But the book I had been thinking of that I'd actually bought a few days prior was actually printed in 1929 and is just as interesting; 'European History Atlas' Fourth Revised Edition edited by James H. Breasted, Carl F. Huth and Samuel B. Harding, published by Denotyer-Geppert Company of Chicago.
    I got ripped off on this buy as I paid $5 and I discover today via Biblio.com that it's available for $2.88.

I don't care though as both have been fun reads, enjoyable, and much more interesting to review in hand than looking at any website.

- Janq loves libraries & books

Are you serious?! Thats awesome! I consider myself to be close to Johnstown as it takes less than an hour to get there!
    I've been doing work just over the mountain from there for the past 2 years and go to Thunder in the Valley every year as well. Heh. Cool stuff.

Yep...The story of all that went down and how whole towns were completely washed away etc. is unbelievable. Lost American history.

I picked up the book from a local antique dealer while I was there looking for books on a totally different subject. I saw it sitting behind a trowel just laying there with tons of dust on it. I thumbed through it and had never heard of this incident so I bought it. I think it was like $2.

After I got home and started to read it though is when I was like damn I can't believe this happened...and that America forgot the lessons therein.
    The situation that occured has many parallels to Katrina including federal govt. ignoring of known structural issues for reason of saving a buck and very many lives lost as well as persons being forever uprooted from their home.
    This kind of thing one jus really doesn't get a flavor for from the internet when stuff like this is written in then native tone and has real 'current' pictures of what crap looked like at that time.

100 yrs. from now the same tragedy will happen again and some kid will go into a book store or antique shop and discover some anicent book about hurricane Katrina and be all wow I can't believe this has happened before... :\

Not counting trade/industry rags, multiple newspapers, work related product catalogs and govt. agency papers to read, I've got nine books sitting at my feet in various stages of read through from three different libraries...half of which I expect to later track down and buy because I'm liking them so much.

Oh, and a Midway USA catalog as well.

- Janq

I'd love to hang out in your library and swap knowledge...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads