Need help identifying ammo from pellet gun
Close

This is a discussion on Need help identifying ammo from pellet gun within the Ammunition forums, part of the Gun Forums category; Hello, newbie here. Yesterday my veterinarian removed a piece of plastic that was lodged inside my dog. The vet says that it is the back ...

Hello, newbie here. Yesterday my veterinarian removed a piece of plastic that was lodged inside my dog. The vet says that it is the back of a bullet from a pellet gun. I'm curious if the exact type of ammunition can be identified, and if possible the type of pellet gun. I shot BB guns when I was a kid, but I don't remember using anything that was like a bullet. I just remember pouring the BBs into the gun. Maybe I remember wrong. I'm not even sure what the difference is between a pellet gun and a BB gun.

Name:  IMG_4785.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  81.4 KB

We adopted the dog a few months ago, and she was shot before we got her, presumably by her previous owners. When we first got her, we could not tell at *all* that she had been shot, and she was examined by both the shelter's vet and our vet, and spayed, and this still went undetected until now. Yesterday she was intensely scratching at her skin, and we took her in to get that checked out. The vet did exploratory surgery and discovered the piece of plastic. The dog still has some BBs/pellets/shot... not sure what to call it... inside her but the vet says they shouldn't pose a problem. This piece of plastic did, though. The vet speculated that she was probably shot at very close range, since this piece of the bullet went in along with the BBs. The dog is resting at home today. She is very tired but is otherwise happy. She's eating and wagging her tail and licking our faces.

looks like the wad to a shotshell load. the leafy peddles are gone. maybe 410ga or 22 rat shot.
    or it could have been from a load that used an 'over the shot wad'.

see here.

Shotgun shell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by bobski; 07-13-2014 at 05:38 PM.

Remove Ads

Ads