7.62x54r - entire case split
Close

This is a discussion on 7.62x54r - entire case split within the Ammunition forums, part of the Gun Forums category; I sold half of a can of ammo to a friend that just got a 91/30, since I still have a ton of ammo from ...

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Blindeye_03's Avatar

I sold half of a can of ammo to a friend that just got a 91/30, since I still have a ton of ammo from when I got my M44. Well we opened it up and to my surprise I ordered russian light ball from aimsurplus, only I got russian steel core light ball instead (the tips are painted silver).

Well we shot quite a bit Saturday and right before we left we were cleaning up our empties and he noticed one of his had the case split all the way down, except it didnt split at the very front, just about 2mm from the very front of the neck and a few mm from the rim.

Is it something with his rifle or the ammo? He didnt seem to notice anything different when firing but he still hasnt cleaned the cosmoline from his rifle even though I told him he needed too.

Were any other cases bulged? I haven't ever heard of split steelcase 7.62x54R, but you never know.

EDIT: or was it brass cased? I've got a bunch of 1953 vintage Bulgarian lead core light ball that loves to split at the neck in every rifle I've tried. Never had splits at the rim though, that sounds kinda bad.
    Last edited by kartoffel; 12-07-2009 at 05:53 PM.

I dont know why I didnt bring the case back home with me but I left it there.

I didnt think any 7.62x54r was brass cased? This stuff was still steel cased and copper washed russian light ball steel core. If you go to aimsurplus' site right now its the same stuff they have there (but they sent me silver tipped bullets).

It didnt go to the edge of either side but instead it was 2-4mm away from the rim and the neck. It was a pretty damn long split in the side of the case.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

Oh there's lots of brass cases 7.62x54R. Modern Winchester and Prvi Partizan, Bulgarian, Czech, Polish and Russian milsurp...

If the guns you're shooting it in can handle a split case of that magnitude, I wouldn't worry about it. Just wear eye protection and please err on the side of caution if it spewed gas all over the place. The split cases (only necks) that I've had with Bulgy LPS have been pretty mellow, so I keep the stuff in rotation for plinking. Accuracy is shit, but it was cheap and it always goes bang.

Brass cases can get very brittle and crack over time, especially if stored in mediocre conditions with older propellants. I had this happen when I bought 3k rounds of 40's made Turk 8mm ammo. Lots of cracked necks.

Steel can do the same if its too hard. It will split because it wont expand due to its hardness.

I had it happen on a Romy 8mm round once. Got a face full of gas but luckily old Paul Mauser's 98 can handle gas well.

The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

This is the ammo that I bought: http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/R...2x54R_FMJ.html

Well my friend shot about 40 rounds of it, and I shot about 10 rounds since I also shot 30 rounds of heavy ball. So 1 in 50 rounds so far but I guess his 91/30 did fine. Hes going to come over one day this week and I am going to help him disassemble the bolt and get the cosmoline out of it and probably look for any damage.

He didnt say he got hit with any gas and we were both wearing eye protection.

Ive had the same thing happen in M44's 91/30's and my PSL and they have never had any damage done to them.

Ive got 30,000 rounds of polish 7.62X25 that splits half way down the case on every shot XD Oh well, have yet to be hurt by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adler
    Brass cases can get very brittle and crack over time, especially if stored in mediocre conditions with older propellants. I had this happen when I bought 3k rounds of 40's made Turk 8mm ammo. Lots of cracked necks.
    +1, 'cause I saw it happen the other day. A LEO was teaching his son to shoot his 1990 vintage Beretta 92, using equally old department training reloads that happened to be laying around. Got case head separation due to brittle brass and blew the trigger linkage and right grip panel off the gun. Shooter was only surprised but not injured, thank goodness. The slide still slides smoothly so the frame is probably fine.

Still sucks to see a nearly 20 year old duty gun get tore up from bad ammo.

It doesn't sound like it's the gun. Sounds like a bad casing, either way, you need to clean that cosmoline out of the gun and the stock. When the barrel heat up you can get some cosmoline ooze out of the pores of the wood. You can usually use a blow dryer and a can of brake cleaner but be careful because brake cleaner will dry that stock out. You'll have to go back over it with some conditioner when you are done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Cases split primarily for one of two reasons.

1. The chamber is over sized or has a bulge somewhere. Usually the other fired cases will show signs of sort of bulging. Extraction will be hard (to drag the bulged case out of the bulge). Surplus guns sometimes have been 'rode hard and put away wet'. Used a lot and cleaned not so often. Or carried about a lot and maintained very little. This quite often inflicts some damage on the device which isn't always so easy to see.

2. The case (cases) is faulty in some manner. Usually, with old surplus the cases become 'age hardened'. Usually a select percentage will fail.

You might try some new brass ammo and see how that works. Save the fired cases and examine them closely. See if the primers have backed out any. That usually means excessive head space.

Remove Ads

Ads