.45 Acp +p - Page 2
Close

.45 Acp +p

This is a discussion on .45 Acp +p within the Ammunition forums, part of the Gun Forums category; Originally Posted by mattxander12 I'm confused about what's better, a bullet that keeps its weight in tact, or one that fragments Be it that the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .45 Acp +p

Gunatics Trusted Vendor brokenarrowtactical.com BrokenArrow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mattxander12
    I'm confused about what's better, a bullet that keeps its weight in tact, or one that fragments

Be it that the bullet fragments or holds / expanded mushroom shape...the main criteria in handgun ballistics is SHOT PLACEMENT.

I have seen in actual autopsys that some bullets (especially high velocity medium bore.. ie - .357 Magnum with 12 gr JHPs , 115 - 124 gr 9MM +P+ and light weight 135 - 155 gr. full power .40 cal) do fragment and tend to make separate wound tracks.

On the other hand, the newer ammunition (Gold Dots, Ranger SXT, Federal HSTs) expand and hold their shape, thus crushing more tissue as it goes through real/living tissue.

The handgun just buys one more time to get to something bigger and more powerful (rifle/shotgun).

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) mwink822's Avatar
    It looks like the website listed for ammunition only has the Federal Tactical JHP and no HST. Looks Like I may have to go with the Hornady 230 +P JHP.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

Damn, They had some several days ago. I guess with everyone panick buying, their stock pile of HSTs dried up.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) mwink822's Avatar
    I just picked up a box of the Hornady TAP 230gr +P that I'm going to try out at the range before investing in case quantities of the stuff. After all, what good is it for me to have a thousand rounds of defensive ammo that none of my guns will digest. I'm pretty sure my TRP will do fine with this ammo since I've perviously used Hornady JHPs in standard pressure 200gr, but my Kimbers did not do so well with that ammo. The only JHP I've found to really feed reliably in them is the Federal Hydra-shok 230gr standard pressure and the 230gr Golden Saber, again standard pressure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads