Let's talk reloading
Close

Let's talk reloading

This is a discussion on Let's talk reloading within the Ammunition forums, part of the Gun Forums category; So I'm looking into getting into reloading, not only to supply my own personal range habits, but to possibly make some cash on the side. ...

Let's talk reloading

So I'm looking into getting into reloading, not only to supply my own personal range habits, but to possibly make some cash on the side.
    Which reminds me, I'm pretty sure I need an FFL to sell large amounts of ammo to the public. Right?

Anyways, I'm thinking of going with a progressive reloader, since I'm hoping to be cranking out at least 500 rounds at a time of shells.
    But is it really as easy as it seems? Load the powder, the primers, bullets and brass and just pull a lever? What's a good brand? I've heard Lee is good, but hell, I really don't know.

You better make sure that you are protected because if some dumbass has any problems with your ammo.....you might be liable or atleast the dumbass will think you are and possibly sue. I say reload for yourself and yourself alone. There is a reason so many calibers are underloaded such as 8mm mauser. If somebody tries to shoot it in an unfit gun, it might just bust the gun and not the shooter.

The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Adler
    You better make sure that you are protected because if some dumbass has any problems with your ammo.....you might be liable or atleast the dumbass will think you are and possibly sue. I say reload for yourself and yourself alone. There is a reason so many calibers are underloaded such as 8mm mauser. If somebody tries to shoot it in an unfit gun, it might just bust the gun and not the shooter.
    Yea, I'll have to check into a blanket policy.

I'm thinking mainly reloading 5.56 NATO and labeling it very clearly THIS IS NOT .223 ONLY FOR USE IN ARMS CHAMBERED FOR 5.56

That might help somewhat when it comes court time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

There are a whole lot of issues to deal with, over-charges, squib, setbacks your rounds shot through a crappy rifle, You will be liable for every dumb ass thing some does with their gun. The liability is huge, as are the insurance payments.

If you are going to load. rifle rounds are time consuming. you need to trim to length, champher, and possibly swage, if you are using used brass. Then you can throw it on a progressive press.

Pistol is alot faster due to not having the trimming and other stuff.

If you are going to sell ammo. You need a Dillon Super 1050, with a bullet and case feeder, around $2000. you can do 100 rounds in 2-3 minutes.

Best bet is to only load for yourself. I use a cheap Lee Pro 1000, can load 100 rounds in about 7-10 minutes. this is pistol. For .223 or .308 I load on a single stage, I can do about 75 rounds a hr

Quote Originally Posted by Ducman
    There are a whole lot of issues to deal with, over-charges, squib, setbacks your rounds shot through a crappy rifle, You will be liable for every dumb ass thing some does with their gun. The liability is huge, as are the insurance payments.

If you are going to load. rifle rounds are time consuming. you need to trim to length, champher, and possibly swage, if you are using used brass. Then you can throw it on a progressive press.

Pistol is alot faster due to not having the trimming and other stuff.

If you are going to sell ammo. You need a Dillon Super 1050, with a bullet and case feeder, around $2000. you can do 100 rounds in 2-3 minutes.

Best bet is to only load for yourself. I use a cheap Lee Pro 1000, can load 100 rounds in about 7-10 minutes. this is pistol. For .223 or .308 I load on a single stage, I can do about 75 rounds a hr
    Meh, there goes another college part-time job down the drain.

Guess I'll get into reloading when I actually have a need to do so.

Well with the price of ammo, I would say we all need to start looking at reloading set ups. I haven't mainly for the lack of time I have. In a couple years when I have Dr. in front of my name I will be able to afford a bad ass setup and should have a lot of free time.

The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Adler
    Well with the price of ammo, I would say we all need to start looking at reloading set ups. I haven't mainly for the lack of time I have. In a couple years when I have Dr. in front of my name I will be able to afford a bad ass setup and should have a lot of free time.
    Same here, except mine will be JD behind my name.

What if you sold only to customers who signed a legal release form first? I'm no lawyer, but it sounds like a common sense sort of thing.

THIS AMMUNITION IS PROVIDED BY THE LOADER AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
    ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
    IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
    ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE LOADER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
    FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
    DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
    OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
    HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
    LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
    OUT OF THE USE OF THIS AMMUNITION, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
    SUCH DAMAGE.

The sooner you start reloading the sooner you start saving money, or actually, shooting more. I agree with the others, distribution of potentially explosive/damaging materials probably calls for a hefty insurance policy which wouldn't be cost effective unless you sell a TON of ammo.

Reloading is fun, a nice hobby in itself, and then you don't need to go above a manually indexing progressive press.

I'm actually about to throw a reloading video up on youtube regarding this.
    Be cruel, make someone Think.

Quote Originally Posted by jamz
    The sooner you start reloading the sooner you start saving money, or actually, shooting more. I agree with the others, distribution of potentially explosive/damaging materials probably calls for a hefty insurance policy which wouldn't be cost effective unless you sell a TON of ammo.

Reloading is fun, a nice hobby in itself, and then you don't need to go above a manually indexing progressive press.

I'm actually about to throw a reloading video up on youtube regarding this.
    Based on current prices of 5.56 NATO ammo and 7.62x39 ammo, I could probably sell a TON of slightly discounted ammo fairly easily.

Yea, I'm just worried about the legal implications though.

Remove Ads

Ads