.40cal vs 10mm? - Page 2
Close

.40cal vs 10mm?

This is a discussion on .40cal vs 10mm? within the Ammunition forums, part of the Gun Forums category; 10mm on left .40 on right. Sorry for the terrible pic my cell phone isn't the best. .38 to .357 is a GREAT comparison. Remember, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .40cal vs 10mm?

10mm on left .40 on right. Sorry for the terrible pic my cell phone isn't the best.

.38 to .357 is a GREAT comparison. Remember, the 10mm uses a magnum primer, the .40 does not.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) Blindeye_03's Avatar
    Thanks for the pic , and explaination.

Now I have to ask what do you mean by comparing the .38 to .357? haha... and I am serious I am new to firearms.

Basically they took the 38 special and added a much larger charge to create the 357 magnum. They also lengthened the case to take the increased charge, and to make sure you could not fire it in a 38 special gun that might blow up. They did the same thing with the 44 special to make the 44 magnum, and the 45 colt to make the 454 Casul. The nice thing about a wheel gun in 44mag, 357mag, and 454 Casul is that you can fire the older, shorter, and weaker cartridges they are based off. You get a reverse compatibility that is nice for target shooting.

The 10mm and 40 S&W story is just the opposite. They shrank the cartridge and reduced the power.

The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

Cool...thanks for the history lesson .

All of the cartridges discussed here will work adequately. If you've got several guns and want to be practical, standardize on just one.

Yes, .40 S&W is the same as .40 Auto. Some manufacturers call it the latter to avoid mentioning the name of a competitor. Seems pretty silly if you ask me, but then again I'm not a trademark lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by kartoffel
    All of the cartridges discussed here will work adequately. If you've got several guns and want to be practical, standardize on just one.

Yes, .40 S&W is the same as .40 Auto. Some manufacturers call it the latter to avoid mentioning the name of a competitor. Seems pretty silly if you ask me, but then again I'm not a trademark lawyer.
    Yeah kinda funny there is .223 REMINGTON, and .40 S&W, and 9mm LUGER. oh well. Thanks for the info everyone

Yeah the whole practice of multiple or alternate names to avoid stamping a barrel with a competitors name goes way back when Colt did not want to put Smith and Wessons name on their guns....and it took off from there.

The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

10mm or 40 Chamber Allowance for Ladies

I have a Glock 10-mm and I will never get the 40-cal. I reload every thing I shoot and I can mild down the 10-mm but as far as making the 40 into something, that is a waste of time. I like my 10-mm/357 auto; oops you know what I am saying the 357 and the 10-mm hit about a hard as each other. But the specs say that a 10-mm hits harder than the 357 and you have 15 rounds to prove it with... Thanks and have a great day...
    Last edited by sandw500; 12-02-2007 at 09:45 AM.

Yeah but sadly we are not yet talking about shooting zombies, its going to be for high speed paper punching and it cant cost 15 bucks to empty a mag of 30 rounds

yeah .40 is just a little more expensive than 9mm...I may end up w/ the 9mm.

10mm is about 10 cents more per bullet than .223/5.56 and I am comparing it to cheap brass .223 rounds - not the expensive brass or the cheap ass steel cased stuff. Steel cased rounds for the ar15 cost about 22 cents each, where as the 10mm cost 44 cents each .

I just want something for plinking and mild home defense if needed , not planning on fighting huge armies by myself.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads