Does anyone know anything about this crazy round?
Close

Does anyone know anything about this crazy round?

This is a discussion on Does anyone know anything about this crazy round? within the Ammunition forums, part of the Gun Forums category; The GLASER SAFETY SLUG optimizes penetration to give you maximum energy transfer to the target. First available with #12 shot (GLASER BLUE), #6 shot (GLASER ...

Anyone know how well these work for defense rounds?

The GLASER SAFETY SLUG optimizes penetration to give you maximum energy transfer to the target. First available with #12 shot (GLASER BLUE), #6 shot (GLASER SILVER) was introduced for situations where maximum penetration was more important than ricochet protection. While GLASER BLUE continues to provide the greatest fragmentation, providing over 200+ fragments (9mm/.3, the GLASER SILVER penetrates 50% deeper with its 30+ (9mm/.3 much larger fragments.PENETRATION , controlled, is one of the critical factors in selecting ammunition. Too much and over-penetration creates danger to unintentional targets due to ricochet or through penetration of the target. No matter how you look at it, only the GLASER SAFETY SLUG lets you choose penetration levels within the same bullet type.

It's $12.66 for 6 bullets!!!

Looks nice for defense however!
    Last edited by brucelee; 10-23-2007 at 09:47 AM.

Also. How well do these work as a defensive round?

Glaser has been around forever, some say it works, and some say it doesn't penetrate enough. The Box O Truth showed 4 inches of penetration, not enough to reach vital organs.

As for the shotshells, they are for killing rattlesnakes and other small critters with a pistol. Not any good for a defensive round. Hell the V.P. shot an old man in the face with a 28ga and didn't kill him, and a 28ga has alot more power than these things.

Now Powerball is a cool round that we can use on two legged annoyances.

The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    GunForums.net
    Advertisements

Shot placement is king; Penetration in queen.

If you're defending against rattlesnakes, they're fine. Anything bigger than that will require penetration to stop it.

When you're talking pistol ammunition, there's really no such thing as too much penetration. The "energy dump" theory has a problem: kinetic energy is not always converted into useful work (i.e. deformation of the target). Kinetic energy is also dissipated as heat, sound, and the non-recoverable energy used to plasticly deform the bullet. Expanding bullets are great, don't get me wrong, but a bullet that falls apart like a balloon filled with unicorn farts is not the greatest idea.

What would you rather throw at a bad guy: A rock, or a handful of sand that weighs the same as the rock?
    Last edited by kartoffel; 10-23-2007 at 02:56 PM.

Gunatics Trusted Vendor brokenarrowtactical.com BrokenArrow's Avatar
    I used these Magsafe Super SWAT .45 ACP +P load on a pitbull that went after my co-worker. 10 feet away and stopped the dog fast! The dog was almost cut in half!!

http://www.magsafeonline.com/prices_specs.jsp

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenArrow
    I used these Magsafe Super SWAT .45 ACP +P load on a pitbull that went after my co-worker. 10 feet away and stopped the dog fast! The dog was almost cut in half!!
    Oh really? I hear that stuff works great on French alpine goats, too.

Gunatics Trusted Vendor brokenarrowtactical.com BrokenArrow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kartoffel
    Oh really? I hear that stuff works great on French alpine goats, too.

I don't know about goats, but it did work quite well on that specific pitbull.

The Box O Truth tested that Extreme Shock ammo as well and it either only penetrated 4 inches, or acted like a FMJ round. Either is not what you want in a pistol round for killing.

Speer Gold Dots and Corbons are two of the best I have seen across the cartridge board.

The Italians have a saying. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct.

Ive read some quite impressive things about the glasser rounds and had a cop tell me about a few Deer that had been hit by cars that he killed with them.

Remove Ads

Ads