Close

My Knoxx CopStock review: B-

This is a discussion on My Knoxx CopStock review: B- within the Shotguns forums, part of the Gun Forums category; So, as you may all know, I purchased a Knoxx CopStock a while ago and had plans to try it out. Here is an overview ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Knoxx CopStock review: B-

So, as you may all know, I purchased a Knoxx CopStock a while ago and had plans to try it out. Here is an overview of it's operation and my results.

First, this is what it looks like:

Installation was simple. On my Remington 870 Express, you just remove two phillips screws from the buttpad, and then one larger screw inside the stock. Then you slip the Knoxx CopStock on and tighten on hex screw. Total time to install was around 5 minutes.

Usage:

I went to the range today and shot a few 2 3/4" full load slugs. The first thing that happens is that the spent shells jam upon eject when the stock is folded up:

I was pretty disappointed with this. However, I supposed I was not surprised as the stock hits the shotgun pump handle when I chamber a round. It actually is so tight that it almost locks the shotgun in the 'open' position and requires a fair amount of force to un-jam the pump handle.

The solution of course is to unfold the stock.This is done by simply gripping the stock over the top and squeezing the sides together. This releases the lock and allows you to swing the stock over the top.

With the stock down you can still shoot just holding the grip, or pressed up against your shoulder.

I managed to get five shots off and there was a NOTICIBLE reduction in recoil. In fact, I was surprised that it was negligible, and I was actually aiming low to compensate for the previous recoil I had experienced.

After that I inspected everything to be sure there were no loose bits. Well, during the shooting, my Tac Star light fell off, so that was obviously loose. However, the Knoxx had also come loose.

As a result I wrapped up and came home. I re-installed the light, this time much tighter, and I also re-tightened the Knoxx CopStock with considerably more force. Unfortunately, Knoxx neither provides torque specs nor is the opening large enough to get a socket-based hex key in, so I was forced to slide a crescent wrench onto the short end of my hex key and snug it down as tight as I could.

I'll do another few rounds in a few days with an update.

I believe I will look into using a Dremel to cut down the pump handle so the CopStock does not hit. I am pretty surprised it hits to begin with, because it's clear that it could (1) easily be widened at the factory and (2) bent lower to allow proper shell ejection. Why this happened seems to be poor design and testing. Anyway, I may contact Knoxx to see what they have to say.

Hope this is helpful.

For reference, it appears Knoxx makes a different fore-end for the 870:

http://www.knoxx.com/store/showitem2.php?item_id=26

However, I found what appears to be identical at half the shipping rate here:

http://www.combatstocks.com/Rubber_F...0_by_Hogue.cfm

They're on the way so I'll probably have them in a week, and will re-review with them installed.

Enjoy!

Annihilator Mr. Head Gun brucelee's Avatar
    That's a shame... I was hoping it'd workout well. I was at the range today and some guy had a Mossy 500 with a folding stock, not a wire/AK-47 one like you have, it was all sythetic... He said it worked great and that he paid $100 for it. He was a total gangster thug too... Weighed like 400lbs, could barely understand what he was saying because of all the gangsta talk... He was picking up a totally blinged out taurus 9mm that he got "just for looks".

Well I accidentally ordered the wrong forends so new ones shipped today. Once I get them put on I'll be trying it again. Overall I like the concept, and now that I think I have everything straightened out they'll be cool.

Then I can go be a ganster.

Annihilator Mr. Head Gun brucelee's Avatar
    Meh, I have the same shotty (remington 870, and a Mossy 500) and just want the stock, not the forepiece, so it looks like I'm not going to get the one you have, even though it looks sick as fuck. It's not really the pump thing thats an issue, its the extraction thing that bugs me. What if you're in a bind and that shit jams up? I have nightmares about those kind of moments.

I'll see if I can find the folding stock that I was talking about at my gun place and take a pic... I have no idea what its called... Actually, let me google it...

Sweet, found it... Good old google.

I tried it out and it felt pretty nice (didn't shoot it, just held it in position)

I'd also like to investigate this posibility, as this is pure sex:

http://www.combatstocks.com/Butler_C..._Remington.cfm
    And its only $63... I wonder how solid it is. Tell you what, if I get the job that I'm interviewing for on Friday I'll buy it and post up a review... deal?

Neither here, nor there, but not everywhere.
    What is the first one, and do they make one that fits a Benelli Nova... That thing's awesome.

there won't be many after market stocks for a benelli anything since they all have integrate a recoil buffer system with the shoulder stock.

Oh, I thought that was just an option... So there's nothing?

From Benelli yes, for the M4, M1014 and Super 90's. I haven't seen anything for the Nova's at all. I think the prob is you gotta work around the proprietary recoil stock system.

Rem 870 and Mos 500 have nothing in the stock so it's relatively easy to add folders to them.

Hmm... well that sucks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads