Close

Opinions on a high powered pellet gun, .17 or .22?

This is a discussion on Opinions on a high powered pellet gun, .17 or .22? within the Rifles forums, part of the Gun Forums category; Hello all, I've been wanting to do some more shooting and figured that getting a good pellet gun would be perfect since I can shoot ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Annihilator Mr. Head Gun brucelee's Avatar

Opinions on a high powered pellet gun, .17 or .22?

Hello all,

I've been wanting to do some more shooting and figured that getting a good pellet gun would be perfect since I can shoot it in my backyard (unlike the real stuff). I don't know jack shit about BB/Pellet guns so I was looking for some advice. I'm looking to shoot around 150-200 yards and was looking for something with as much punch as possible.

What do you guys think about the .22 air rifles? Up to 950fps which is slower than the traditional .177 bb's/pellets but has a lot more downrange punch. What do you guys think? Any recommendations for a good all around rifle?
    When in doubt, ask Adler.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) MrMcCrackin's Avatar
    I got my FIL a break barrel .22 for his pigeon hunts, it's totally badass!

But all his shots are <100 yards

I shot a break barrel .177 pellet gun today at my friends house and it was pretty bad ass. 1250 FPS, so powerful that it went through 3 lemons! Split the first two and ended up inside the third! Was looking for something similar, although his rifle was a little loud, looking for something a bit more silent but it's not a big deal.

Gunatic Loyalist (Bow down) MrMcCrackin's Avatar
    Sadly the break barrel pellet rifles are loud, not quiet like crossman/daisy pump rifles

Quote Originally Posted by MrMcCrackin View Post
    Sadly the break barrel pellet rifles are loud, not quiet like crossman/daisy pump rifles
    Is it possible to put a suppressor of sorts on it? I think I remember my friends old BB gun had a built in silencer on it, but this was about 20 years ago.

Avoid springers. They're loud and very harsh on optics. I had an RWS 48 fixed barrel side-cocking spring piston gun in .22. Real nice air rifle. It was sold brand new a package deal with a Nikon Monarch scope that the retailer swore was "airgun rated". That fucker went through 4 scopes at the seller's cost before I gave up and returned it rifle and all.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd get a pre-charged pneumatic (PCP) for sure. No air rifle will go 150-200 yards though. We're talking 25-50 yards max for critters. Couple more yards for paper punching, but the wind really tosses those little pellets around.

Hey... if you want a suppressor of sorts, and don't mind a break barrel springer, check out the Gamo Whisper. They're in just about every sporting goods store around. Fairly decent reviews and quite affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by kartoffel View Post
    Avoid springers. They're loud and very harsh on optics. I had an RWS 48 fixed barrel side-cocking spring piston gun in .22. Real nice air rifle. It was sold brand new a package deal with a Nikon Monarch scope that the retailer swore was "airgun rated". That fucker went through 4 scopes at the seller's cost before I gave up and returned it rifle and all.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd get a pre-charged pneumatic (PCP) for sure. No air rifle will go 150-200 yards though. We're talking 25-50 yards max for critters. Couple more yards for paper punching, but the wind really tosses those little pellets around.

Hey... if you want a suppressor of sorts, and don't mind a break barrel springer, check out the Gamo Whisper. They're in just about every sporting goods store around. Fairly decent reviews and quite affordable.
    +1 on all accounts

I agree that the GAMO whisper is the quietest you will get.

Sadly, a "true" suppressor for airguns would be an ATF controlled item, which IMHO is ridiculous. I say this based on the ATF's response to true suppressor designs used for paintball markers. I don't know if anyone actually makes a real suppressor for airguns, either.

Gunatics Trusted Vendor brokenarrowtactical.com BrokenArrow's Avatar
    I'll be the wild card here. I would go with a Sheridan .20 cal pump rifle. You only need to pump it 8 times for max power. I have killed a bunch of critters with it. It is flatter shooting than a .22 pellet gun. The pellets are cylindrical shape vs the hour glass shape of the .177 and .22 pellets.

I think the current versions are made by Benjamin.

I have one of the Gamo whispers with the cans on them and shoot it in my backyard, shoots very well and never had anyone bitch about it.

Wanna sell it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads